Rockwells | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rockwells

Hello all,
Long time user and fan, but been a long time since ive been on. O did my SAS about 6-7 years ago and posted on this site. Ive been running it with no problems besides the normal breakage. Lately i have been itchin for a upgrade and came across some up grades. I havent been on for ever so forgive me if im in the wrong thread, but back in the day it was easy to navigate this site. But anyways i have started my rock well conversion. I have rebuilt both axles flipped the rear hubs, shaved the breaks, added pinion breaks, grizzly locked the front welded the rear. Bought hummer h1 double beadlocks with rockwell welded in inserts. Plan on running 47 ltbs. Im running the BTF single reverse triangulated converions with coils. So far here is what i got, i have alot of pics put on my phone so i have to send them on over.

Attachments

• 4 link rock.jpg
    4 link rock.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,382
  • front rockwell.jpg
    front rockwell.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2,707
  • front on rocks.jpg
    front on rocks.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 3,059

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beefy rear retainer that also mounts with the rear support bracket.

ForumRunner_20120926_175647.png

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Fully built and ready for install!

ForumRunner_20120926_180234.png

Comparison of stock case to the 205 with the strong box. Pretty close.

ForumRunner_20121002_155222.png

ForumRunner_20121002_155258.png

ForumRunner_20121002_155342.png

Length looks closer than I thought it would.
If the 1354 rear yoke was installed it would be even closer.
I'd be interested to know your driveshaft lengths before and after; looks like they will be very close both front and rear.

17 1/4 from mounting flange to Rockwell flange. And 18 inches at the most widest.

Box is going in!

ForumRunner_20121005_220308.png

ForumRunner_20121007_094124.png

ForumRunner_20121007_094356.png

ForumRunner_20121007_094420.png

ForumRunner_20121007_094450.png

ForumRunner_20121007_094525.png

ForumRunner_20121007_094555.png

ForumRunner_20121007_094420.png

Stock flange compared to Rockwell flange.

ForumRunner_20121011_142653.png

Beefy ujoint

ForumRunner_20121011_142907.png

love the build!

but what is in the glass with the straw in it????

OJ! But the beers started later!

Quick update

I am waiting for the shifters to come in, it will be Behemoths set up on his website. Im running 1480 joints at the axle end and 1410s at the transfer case. Im having a custom long slip joint made for front and rear with as much travel as i need it comes in a 24 inch long splined bar and i cut it to lenght as needed. The triple stick cable operated set up looks and seems to be real nice cant wait to install it. Time to take out my center console and find a hole for these. (pictures are from behemoths website)

Attachments

• triple stick.png
    triple stick.png
    459.3 KB · Views: 580
  • triple stick 1.jpg
    triple stick 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 571

Still waiting on the shifters, cant get ahold of Jake. I did make my rear driveline and tried it out in double low. And holy crap it is so easy to roast those 42s on the pavement. I got some serious axle wrap, that i figured was going to happen, just havent had the time to make a traction bar yet.

Ok shifters have shipped i made both drivelines and the front hits at full droop, so im going to have to reclock the transfer case up a few degrees, good thing with the strong box you dont have to pull the whole thing out or lose any fluid, just take the bolts out and turn it up. I didnt have a rti ramp so i used a cheery picker but it was starting to tip when it got high so i had to stop but i got a idea of what the front four link is like.

Attachments

• front flex.jpg
    front flex.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 583

shifters in

Ok got the shifters, they are nice! i installed them in about 1.5 hours, i had only one problem and that was the rear shift rail nut was too large, and it was hitting the against the strong box, not a biggie i found a regular nut that wasnt a lock nut i had to still gring it a little and then put some lock tight onto it to make me feel better about it possibly falling off. here is some pics.

Attachments

• twinstick1.jpg
    twinstick1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 472
  • twinstick3.jpg
    twinstick3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 451
  • twinstick2.jpg
    twinstick2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 467
  • twinstick4.jpg
    twinstick4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 463

Im going to get some pics of the strong box linkage mount tomorrow, the only thing left for the shifters is to cut the hump plate for the shifter box hole. i ordered knobs for the twin stick that labels front and rear axle and a doubler knob that has high and low on it i also ordered a triple stick boot. Im one happy camper right now!

Attachments

• twinstick5.jpg
    twinstick5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 466
  • twin stick.jpg
    twin stick.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 460

Oh man, this is just sick! I have some serious respect for the amount of work you've put into this, and a little bit of jealousy too :D

Back