Ronin's Rig | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ronin's Rig

Haven't done one of these yet, so here it is. Thanks to all who helped me with ideas and tips along the way!

I bought my 2004 Eddie Bauer 4.0 in 2009.

Current Mods:

-Scanguage II with blendmount rearview mirror mount: scangauge 2 questions
-OEM Class 3 hitch swap
-SCT XCal3 programmer with 87/89/93 torque tunes from Henson Performance
-Gibson stainless catback exhaust
-Hunter Brush Guard
-Helo wheels Maxx8 Black 16x8 wheels, 0 offset
-Treadwright Guard Dog M/T 265/75/16: Buy TreadWright All-Terrain & Mud Terrain Tires for Trucks, Jeeps & SU
-Cobra 75WXST CB radio with Firestik II 3' antenna - mounted over the right rear taillight: What do you reckon?
-Custom 1.25" front / 1" rear strut lift spacers
-12" limit straps - 3rd Gen Limiting Straps install
-Moog Coil Springs mounted on Monroe Reflex struts
-BTF tubular upper control arms with uniballs: For Sale - Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL
-PA 883 3” body lift: How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install.
-Yukon 4.10 gear swap in the front and rear axles: Regearing the front differential - possible solution
-Aussie locker in the rear axle: How to: 3rd Gen Aussie Locker Install
-Rugged Ridge 100 Watt offroad lights x 4
-F-150 Tow Hooks
-OEM Fuel Tank and Transfer Case skid plates
-Custom Rock Sliders: Ronin's 3rd Gen rock slider build thread
-Viair 20001 On Board Air system: My "stealth" on board air install, pics, and video

Removed mods:
-Underdrive crank pulley/underdrive water pump pulley/overdrive alternator pulley
-Black Magic 150 electric fan/HHR electric fan (got too hot in the summer)
-1.5" body lift (upgraded to 3" body lift): How to: - 1.5" body lift for less than $50
-50W Baja Blazer offroad lights (too dim!)
-Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials 265/75/16
-KKM cone filter and MAF adapter with outerwear pre-filter: " Stage 2 " Intake 04-05
-BTF 1.75" front/1.5" rear strut lift spacers: How To: BTF-Fabrication Spacer Lift Install

More to come!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cough, bullsh*t, cough cough:D:D:D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lol, i guess I wasnt fooling anyone with that last post
:D

Don't expect me to say "can't blame you for trying" lol

If you get a chance can you tell me the outer diameter of the light guards on the brush guard?

I have a future plan to build my own that I can bolt on easily so I take them on and off when I'm in the mood for a different look.

Don't expect me to say "can't blame you for trying" lol

If you get a chance can you tell me the outer diameter of the light guards on the brush guard?

I have a future plan to build my own that I can bolt on easily so I take them on and off when I'm in the mood for a different look.

no problem. You want the diameter of the tubing itself? Or the dimensions of the light guard?

The tubing...my grille guard portion doesn't bow out at the top like your's so i'll need to take my own measurements.

Going to use some really small diameter pipe and bend and shape it by hand to use as a template and measure the bends from that so I know the angle of the bends and don't need to be near the truck to check them.

The tubing...my grille guard portion doesn't bow out at the top like your's so i'll need to take my own measurements.

Going to use some really small diameter pipe and bend and shape it by hand to use as a template and measure the bends from that so I know the angle of the bends and don't need to be near the truck to check them.

Kyle, the outside tubing is 1.5" OD. The smaller wires in between that cover the headlights are about 11/32" OD.

Thanks for that James...I'm going to skip doing the small wires and make it look like asull85's 4th gen.

MG467012HDR-copy-L.jpg

thanks!

here's about the best pic I could get without jacking up the truck. you can see the transfer case skid plate right above where the camera is and the gas tank skid plate in the background:

IMAG0013.jpg

Looks good! I ordered mine yesterday, hopefully get this week. Going to Coal Creek at the end of the month, so I am needing them.

Hi James

I need your help here

I want to change the wheels (rims) and I found a set of pro-comp

images.ashx

http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetai...573&catID=11&subCat=210&ptID=100073&plID=9847

17" x 8.5"

the problem is the center hole in the pro comp is 87mm and the stock is 78 mm

I mean they will not be Hub centric

would this be a problem? would it cause any vibrations in high speed? would it cause any stress on the lug nuts?

Sorry Alla', missed your post.

My wheels have a center hole slightly bigger than the hub, so they aren't quite hubcentric. It's never been a problem though. When i am putting a wheel on I make sure to tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern, then when they are mostly tight I set the truck on the ground and torque them to spec with a torque wrench. This seems to center the wheel on the hub for me. I don't know if it is perfect but I don't have any vibration so I guess it works fine.

Hi James

I need your help here

I want to change the wheels (rims) and I found a set of pro-comp

images.ashx

http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetai...573&catID=11&subCat=210&ptID=100073&plID=9847

17" x 8.5"

the problem is the center hole in the pro comp is 87mm and the stock is 78 mm

I mean they will not be Hub centric

would this be a problem? would it cause any vibrations in high speed? would it cause any stress on the lug nuts?

Well, that's probably the end of this thread. Got into a real bad accident today (not my fault) and I am pretty sure she's totaled. The Rig did it's job protecting us...seatbelts worked, airbags deployed, and we didn't roll over despite some evasive manuevers I made at speed. Real bummer, but more importantly the wife and I are alive and ok. The other folks got banged up pretty good but they'll be fine.

I'll see what I can salvage from the wreck and if I get anything I don't need anymore then I'll post a for sale thread.

Be some time before I get pics of the carnage. At least the rocksliders seemed to be undamaged :D

Wow. Just wow, the amount of work into that truck and its gone that fast. Glad you're both okay though! Gonna replace her with another Explorer?

Oh man. At least you guys are okay. Vehicles can be replaced, lives can't.

Where should I send flowers?

To whatever yard its sitting in right now in MD. They've still got to tow it somewhere to where my insurance company can get a look at it....won't be till next week though.

Oh man. At least you guys are okay. Vehicles can be replaced, lives can't.

x2. It could have ended up a whole lot worse.

Wow. Just wow, the amount of work into that truck and its gone that fast. Glad you're both okay though! Gonna replace her with another Explorer?

Yeah I hear you. I guess I look at the whole build up itself as education, experience, and a hobby. Definitely not time wasted.

I think I'll probably replace her with something that doesn't take quite as much work to get it to where I pretty much was with the X. I was thinking of a used Toyota FJ maybe.

Back