S/C Intercooling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

S/C Intercooling

I havent been active here for awhile. But I am still here and lately have been reading up on threads about intercoolers. My sitiuation is somewhat different as I run a centrifugal S/C. My truck is running but not driveable. I have not had it down to the dyno to get it properly tuned. Money is not the main reason but does play a role. So I was lucky we had a mild winter and I could drive my little car around. Now I got my second wind and want to get the truck streetable. As the temps warm up I thought about different ways to cool my intake air charge. My tuner says a bypass valve should work and thats what I have but an intercooler is really my best choice. Even though I only run 5 lbs boost the air charge is hot. From my searching, I have limited choices. the intercooler has to be small. I found these but they are very expensive and I need to justify the cost.
http://www.pwrradiators.com/categories/intercoolers/air-to-water-barrel/
So I need to get it on the dyno and go from there. But I dont know if I need to intercool if I run such low boost. I would rather play it safe and do it right.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This shows a big difference in price but these are to big for my application.

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=219&osCsid=4543f52575a120710bc5d1341db22778

I get some time off work mid May and funds willing I will get to the dyno. I want to post some numbers. I also go on vacation during that time period so I will do my best. The radiator, hoses and pump are cheap compared to the intercooler. I think a maximum of 9 psi is all the powerdyne can handle. It's the poormans supercharger, and I am the poor man;)

Why needed?

I skimmed your S/C Install thread. It appears the latest configuration is an initial tune for a 90mm MAF sensor and 42 lbs injectors. From what I've read most engines with only 5 psi of boost don't require intercooling. What makes you think you need it for your configuration? Are you detecting detonation or is it just that the intake air temperature is higher than you want? How much does the Powerdyne raise the temperature?

My Volvo 850 Turbo wagon has an air-to-air intercooler but there may not be room for one in your application. It certainly is a lot simpler but not as efficient as a liquid-to-air intercooler. I've noticed that some of the Mustang centrifugal blower kits use a liquid-to-air intercooler. Do you have room (14.5 inches long) for the Shaman intercooler?

Im surprised under low boost your in need of an intercooler for drive ability also. I actually thought the centrifugal s/c created less heat. Do you know what your temps are under boost? James had told me that 160 degree's is something that can be worked with, but far from ideal.

I would think you could make an air/air intercooler work as you have the boosted inlet you can re-route. This would be more difficult for running the boosted inlet air, but less expensive, and less complex.

I think the way I posted may have been somwhat confusing. After re-reading it myself I could of done better. I agree that intercooling is probably not necessary in a low boost application like mine. And what I meant by not driveable is that currently I only have a "canned" tune installed that my tuner sent me based on my setup. It is only to make the truck mobile enough to safely get it down to the dyno for proper tuning. I havent ran the truck under boost to confirm IAT's. N/A I was seeing temps of around 130 or so on hot days. I dont have a true CAI so I suck in all the hot engine compartment air. The intercooling was more of a what if scenario. What would be my options. Very tight under the hood so anything I did do would have to be very compact. It would set up a whole new set a challenges. Multiple tuning sessions would become costly. Wish I could figure out how to datalog. Believe me I have tried. So I will be taking it to the professionals.
Hope to have it going soon as I am starting to miss having a/c.

I don't think an intercooler would be a bad thing for you, as the cooler the itake air is, the better. Ita just that its a lot of extra complexity and cash added to your setup.

If you want to add one to get better performance, and have the personal satisfaction in putting one together I'd say go for it. Are you going to get great gains per dollar spent, i doubt it. Then again, you might be looking at ways at increasing boost down the road.

Id say start with trying to get cooler air in to your motor by pulling air from outside the hood.

I don't think an intercooler would be a bad thing for you, as the cooler the itake air is, the better. Ita just that its a lot of extra complexity and cash added to your setup.

If you want to add one to get better performance, and have the personal satisfaction in putting one together I'd say go for it. Are you going to get great gains per dollar spent, i doubt it. Then again, you might be looking at ways at increasing boost down the road.

Id say start with trying to get cooler air in to your motor by pulling air from outside the hood.

Looking forward to how your intercooled setup works. I dont need an intercooler at this point but as you mentioned, increasing boost might require some sort of cooling. I need to get my current combination running good and it will have room for increased boost should I decide to go that route. I want to be able to drive it on any given day, in any weather, so reliability is at the top of the list.
These trucks are money pits no dought.;)

With that low of boost and type of sc a good water meth setup may be cheaper

Back