SoCal 4x4 trip in October? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SoCal 4x4 trip in October?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK guys, I'm 100% into this run for once!! Me and my buddy will be cruising out in my rig on Friday night and settin up. I know myself WAY TOO WELL to know that I won't make it out earlyass on saturday mornin, so just bash on the tent in the mornin. I will be bailin Sunday around noon or 1ish. And oh ****, I'm classified as a BIG DAWG!!! I guess there's a first time for everything! I am really lookin forward to meetin/remeeting you guys. we're going to have a GREAT time! :D

PS, I think I'm gonna bring the beater dirtbike for some fun friday evening and for my bud to mess around with a bit between runs. If anybody else has a bike or quad to bring that would be cool...

Is anybody else headin on out on Friday??

I won't be attending this run.

Enjoy Truckhaven.

Chris.

I finally have a truck that will make it!!! i'm in! anybody leaving from the san diego area that i could caravan with?

Thanks to Felix he brought me a new bearing and seal from Currie for my axleshaft so I just have to get it pressed on. Oh, why was Felix at Currie? he dropped off his HP44 to get narrowed on the long side so things are movin along with his SAS.

Josh, i'd join you out there Fri night but I have a few other things to button up on my rig so it'll be down to the wire for me. Any idea where you are gonna set up camp or just going to find the first place that looks good?

BMX, there's always a bunch of runs out at T-haven between now and spring so keep a look out for upcoming runs.

That's a good point? Where are we camping? The usual spot? :rolleyes:

I was just gonna follow Josh's lead since he'll be the first one out there but otherwise i'd say the usual spot as pointed out in the begining of this thread just to make things easy.

I agree with the 'usual' spot. It is best for us tent campers, as the ground is soft. John and I should be pulling in somewhere between 10pm and midnight on friday. Thats where we'll setup unless its obvious that someone else has already staked it out.

How far up the road to the right is the "usual" spot? Is it a mile or so as it appears in Rick's picture?
attachment.php

I know we won't have any trouble finding camp in daylight, but if we were to suddenly decide to show up Friday night in the dark, it might help to know how far to drive before expecting to find you guys. In fact, with so many people coming, a few stakes and quick posterboard signs probably wouldn't be out of line if anyone could manage it.

Ritsui said:
How far up the road to the right is the "usual" spot? Is it a mile or so as it appears in Rick's picture?
attachment.php

I know we won't have any trouble finding camp in daylight, but if we were to suddenly decide to show up Friday night in the dark, it might help to know how far to drive before expecting to find you guys. In fact, with so many people coming, a few stakes and quick posterboard signs probably wouldn't be out of line if anyone could manage it.

The easyest way to find it in the dark is when you turn on to marina Dr. Your gonna go strait for awile. there will be a slight fork in the road and a hill at the fork in the middle. Go to the right. (it's hard to see at night) Then go about 150 ft. once the road almost becomes level with the side. It should be straight to your right. :rolleyes:

Thanks :thumbsup: We were there a few weeks back and only went to the left at that first hill. If it's only a few hundred feet past the hill then it should be simple to find even if we don't see massive bonfires lighting up the night sky :)

Ritsui said:
Thanks :thumbsup: We were there a few weeks back and only went to the left at that first hill. If it's only a few hundred feet past the hill then it should be simple to find even if we don't see massive bonfires lighting up the night sky :)
Its hard to miss once you take the right. It will be the first place you'd think to camp on the right side of the road. (unless you like your tent sitting in a wash :D )

DB_1 said:
I was just gonna follow Josh's lead since he'll be the first one out there but otherwise i'd say the usual spot as pointed out in the begining of this thread just to make things easy.

Well we'll miss ya friday brutha, but saturday will be kick-ass.

I was plannin on campin at the usual spot, and you guys just confirmed my memory of where it was a year or two back. I have to take care of some work on Friday afternoon after I get outta class, but I plan on bailing early from work to get packed up in time. I plan on leaving OC with my buddy around 8pm on Friday night to wait out the traffic on the 91. We'll do our best to start up an ok-sized fire right when we get there.

I just picked up a fresh tire so I actually have a spare now! :thumbsup: Just gotta get it mounted now. :(

[EDIT]: everyone try to bring a lot of firewood!!! :D :D

Josh S. said:
[EDIT]: everyone try to bring a lot of firewood!!! :D :D

I'm gonna see if I can get a pallet or two.. Maybe from behind the grocery store ;)

Woo-hoo!

Last post, time to pack up . . .

Sorry to say that I won't be going . :( I need the time more than I need the fun, if that makes sense.

I'll be there early Sat morning say 8ish...i'd try and make it out Fri night but I hate setting up a tent in the dark.

If we're lucky we can scavange some of the wood I saw a couple weeks back when I cruised out there. There were a couple scattered wood piles leftover from other campers along Marina dr. I'll bring a couple bundles from the store anyways.

With money tight, we're thinking we may not want to spend the extra $75+ needed to drive the F250 down there, so we're going to try removing the rear seats from the Ex to fit all our gear. If that works, the end result is we will no longer have the extra space to pack any firewood to speak of. Sorry.

[edit]
Never mind. That idea was pure folly.

Tip: If you ever plan on camping with two people and two dogs and don't have a trailer to tow... don't buy a Sport!
[/edit]

One of these days I need to get a hitch and one of those mini cargo trailers :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ritsui said:
With money tight, we're thinking we may not want to spend the extra $75+ needed to drive the F250 down there, so we're going to try removing the rear seats from the Ex to fit all our gear. If that works, the end result is we will no longer have the extra space to pack any firewood to speak of. Sorry.

The seats fold down.... :rolleyes: Besides there is always the roof rack :D

Did any one else hear that it may rain Saturday night or Sunday :(

This is not a place you wanna be when it rains....so we will have to keep a eye out.

Back