SoCal 4x4 trip in October? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SoCal 4x4 trip in October?

I took a cruise out to T-haven to check things out and only saw a couple of trucks playing around on the hill at the split in the road and there was a couple dirt bikes out there. Other than that, nodody there! I took a few shots just for the hell of it.

First one is of the sign that says "Road Closed"...all it really means is that the road goes from a paved road to a dirt road.
Second pic is of one of the washes.
Third one..ok, so I took a poser shot :p

Rick, no sign of any houses being built on Marina dr. on the T-haven side. Maybe they are building them on the other side of the hwy.

Attachments

• agf00004.JPG
    agf00004.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 251
  • AGF00006.JPG
    AGF00006.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 256
  • AGF00005.JPG
    AGF00005.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 265

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I 'm thinking about attending this run, If I do I'll probably run with the stockers to learn, cause I've haven't done much more than fire roads with my 4x4.

My questions are kind of early to be asking, but roughly what time do you guys start to wheel on Saturday.

Also wonedering if anyone has taken the 79 to the S2 to the S22 to get to Truckhaven, because yahoo maps won't give me an estimated time going this way.
Yahoo says I should go up the 215 north get on 60 east to 10 east to 86 south (total time of 2hrs 11 min.). This may be faster than going through all the windy roads on S2 and S22, any suggestions? Thanks, Chris.

Since you already live by the 79, i'd take that to S22 to the 86.
RangerX goes through there if i'm not mistaken, maybe he'll chime in on what route is best.

I'm thinkin' 78 might even be faster than S22 even though its a little further south.

Most of our get togethers start around 8am but thats not set in stone. We usually wait for the stragglers if we know they are on their way.

BMXplorer said:
Yahoo says I should go up the 215 north get on 60 east to 10 east to 86 south (total time of 2hrs 11 min.). This may be faster than going through all the windy roads on S2 and S22, any suggestions?
Yahoo may actually be right, though it's hard to say what might happen on any given day. We checked out Truckhaven yesterday and took the 10->86 coming in and then the 78 -> 79 -> 15 going home. While the drive back was a nice (winding, country) drive with relatively little traffic, it was also one lane all the way and when we got behind someone slow (us and 20 other cars), we stayed behind them for miles and miles. With relatively few long straight passing areas, you can easily end up at the mercy of whoever is in front of you. The 10 on the other hand (for us) was 65+ all the way.

If you want a scenic drive and don't care so much about time, go for the 79->78. It's a pretty nice drive.

BTW: Can you guess which dog wants to go offroad and which wants to stay in the tent? :D
truckdogs1.jpg

Jefe said:
Heck yeah :burnout: :D

Stic-o make sure you bring your video camera. :thumbsup:

I always do! ;)

I installed some rock lights today :D All ready for some night runs now :cool:

Well, I made progress Saturday. DB-1 and I went to the junk yard and completely uninstalled a front suspention from a 1978 Bronco. That came complete with a rough country 2" lift kit. :)

The axle is now completely disassembled in my garage and is now patiently awaiting a trip to Currie for some TLC (narrowing). Hopefully that can be taken care of soon so as to get it home and stuck under my truck.

I will have some pics in my photo gallery soon of all the spoils from the JY.

Is anyone else camping? I plan to show up (me, my wife, two dogs, two trucks) Saturday morning and set up camp whether we're overnighting or not. If there will be more than one or two campers, I'll try to get out in the next week and collect some firewood to bring along as well.

Fenderguy said:
There is no better way to enjoy Truck Haven than a 20ft long 30ft high campfire with 14 completely dried out christmas trees on it.

And just think.. I want to break that record this winter!

:bounce:

I plan on camping too. :thumbsup:

Camping ;)

Me too...I gotta change out one of my rear axle seals though, damn thing is puking fluid :mad:.

Jefe said:
One week left - Who's in?

I am :bounce:

In! :D

(However I just found out I have to go to Tenn. for work for a few days, in the next couple of weeks, but it should not effect this......I don't work weekends! :p )

Absolutely :thumbsup:
- 2 dogs
- 2 trucks
- 2 humans

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back