• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
IZ what did you change up in your welding technique?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
IZ what did you change up in your welding technique?
Section, dear, I changed wire. For plating (which is usually 1/8" or every now and then a 3/16") I switched to 0.023" and for tubes, I've been using 0.030". The latter pretty much covers everything else including thicker stuff like the 14-bolt axle shave (1/2" plate to the housing). Everything else is the same (weave).

EDIT -- oh and maybe 4 months ago, I stopped using eye glasses for welding, using contact lenses now :)

Last edited:

kert0307

Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
Out of curiosity, are those cross tubes of the "k" 2x2x 3/16, and the "k's legs" 2x2x11ish gauge? Welds look great btw.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Out of curiosity, are those cross tubes of the "k" 2x2x 3/16, and the "k's legs" 2x2x11ish gauge? Welds look great btw.
THanks!!

You got the "Legs" right, but the perpendicular tubes are left over 1/4" I had laying around (yeah overkill it but oh well :().

The belly will have some sort of a removable plating under it - some aluminum and then some HDPE plastic under that to make it slippery over the rocks - same with the boat side part. And the aim is to have a belly height of mid 20s (inches).

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
I tried 23 and it brought the suck. Tell me yur weldin secrits.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I tried 23 and it brought the suck. Tell me yur weldin secrits.
What exactly was happening? Too much spattering/popping? Usually when "the suck" doeseth come means improper settings. I use the settings printed (on a sticker) on the welder as a baseline and adjust up or down depending on position and so on.

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
August of what year?

And IZ, I'm only seeing up close shots, and in these shots I'm not seeing any body parts in the rear quarter. Is the body completely gone yet? Cha mon, are you keeping secrets?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
August of this year! Its a self imposed goal we set at the last RC run cauz quite a bit of us didn't have a working trail vehicle.

As for the rear quarter, its all still there. Ill get around to modifying that in a little bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
so this is gonna be done in 60 days?

Good Luck Sir:salute:

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I know I know.. not much time.. however, I think I'll be able to get a rolling chassis by around 4th of July and then its just a matter of sorting out the accessories after that. This weekend is pretty much out cauz I'm going to do some downhill biking all day Saturday and then Sunday might be research time for a class project.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Found a helper for your project. Should we mail him over??;)

Attachments

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Ahaha thats great! Are they native there?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
You can have some of the rabbits or jackrabbits from here.. the jackrabbits when sitting up (not standing) are about knee high.. I walk outside and they don't run.. Every morning I see 5-10 rabbits/jackrabbits combined..

~Mark

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Oops, my dog ate it. Can you please send IZ another??
Oh wow, your dog looks like our dog, which by the way licked my computer screen, then sat here whining while looking at the bunny.

On the other hand, the picture is kinda sad--don't you think it kind of , well, kills for lack of better terms, this happy happy fun time thread?

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
Oh wow, your dog looks like our dog, which by the way licked my computer screen, then sat here whining while looking at the bunny.

On the other hand, the picture is kinda sad--don't you think it kind of , well, kills for lack of better terms, this happy happy fun time thread?
I thought it was nigel too, then I looked and saw it wasn't your post and thought wtf:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Ahah no I've had no update so trying to minimze the page count.
Posted via Mobile Device