Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 85 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Or got too much Welding Slag on His Hootus lol

Sorry guys, just haven't had the time between work, rock climbing and riding bikes (looks like 2011 is the year for rediscovering the joy in riding bikes). Yesterday, we were at the pump track till past 8pm and today I ended up putting 38 miles on the mountain bike.

The new pump track 10 mins from my house, with Todd (one of the planners of the track) riding his daughter's bike:

No no no... Not rock climbing, rock CRAWLING. In order to do that you need to finish your rabbit rig:p:

I really like the bunnies in the cups.

I think this project is going about as fast as my horse trailer rebuild. One year and counting.

I feel so lonely. It's almost December again. All I wanted last year for Christmas was Izwack... and an update... and I'm sitting here... all alone. No explorer updates.

My buddy's have these Jeeps and they're all like "yea my **** climbs rocks... blah blah frickin blah" and here an glimmer of hope for the Explorers comes along, building, correction OVERBUILDING, what is a piece of history, marvelous machining and extreme engineering - all from a handsome stud, and he leaves us out to dry. His excuse - biking?! Wtf. You go from welding and cutting STEEL and ALUMINUM and CARBON FIBER to... BIKING!!! You could at least MAN it up a little and say 'working out' or playing with some ladies, somethin', anything. I had looked at this thread, grinning... telling my Jeep friends, their off-the-shelf out-of-the-magazine lift kits were nothing when compared to this AWESOMENESS...

BUT... in all my hazing, quality takes time. AND NOW IT'S GETTING COLD. So get your ass off the couch and do what you do best. Make me proud. Make us all proud. We're gonna have to sit back and raise our glasses for our glorious leader. Something. Sheesh. :)

Wow IZ I mean I know you were the MAN already but WOW, so I just read all the way through this thing.... Is there any chance that it's now 2012 that you are going to finish? I don't have rabbits to share to bring you back but I will be watching and waiting to see how this is finished...........

Sorry guys - no real progress. I tried to work on it over the X-mas to New Years time frame but my Atlas 6" lathe broke working on the steering/throttle components - which is kind of good because a 6" lathe doesnt really get me anywhere. So I bought another lathe (a 10" this time) from NY. After I modify the lathe stand, I should be making some progress on this thing.

THis pic has so much win.

I hope its chocolate cake! With fudge in the middle!!

i hope this gets finished one of these days it would be a shame to do all this beautiful fab work and not have it hit the trail.

just put the tires in place i bet you get motivated again.

cake didn't do it,
nor did bunnies,,
maybe kittens are needed,,

Hmm, lets try a different approach.

20105elmer_fudd2.jpg

Elmer Fudd is on his way over to get the Wabbits. Only way to stop him is to finish the build, and use it's awesomeness to run the Fudd into the Mudd.

Your move.
:D

Back