• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
You should submit this tech stuff to the people at Revision3. They'd have a field day w/ some of this. Maybe make a few shows to help other w/ this kind of endeavor. The Ben Heck show and Tekzilla would be ideal!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Iz, it looks like the pins on the bottom of the power supply are touching the case. Are you going to mount it up a little higher? I can;t see it's mount-

Nick26

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
Also tested out the LCD, 1500 nits of wholesome photons arriving at my face. Max native resolution is 800x600 - not bad but not great either, but it'll have to do
I think I remember you saying you were using xubuntu... you might try the netbook version of it, the window manager/desktop is pretty good for small resolution screen (i use it on my netbook): http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook

seafarer76

Reaction score
City, State
Laramie, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Iz, you might want to modify the MS mounting. The heatsink on the MS3 board is intended to make contact with the aluminum case to increase surface area for cooling. You might want to add in something similar to your mounting solution. (which looks great btw)

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I think I remember you saying you were using xubuntu... you might try the netbook version of it, the window manager/desktop is pretty good for small resolution screen (i use it on my netbook): http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook
I heard that Ubuntu stopped using gnome as the default desktop environment. I really need to build a new machine to try out the new stuff. I need a HTPC now, wonder if that's gonna be the route I take. Windows is so easy, and OS X is becoming so locked down by Jobs that it seems worthless to try and make a Hackintosh. Wow, my mind is really getting a work out. I'm completely off topic now. Ok, Iz, good luck w/ the whole thing!

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
You should submit this tech stuff to the people at Revision3. They'd have a field day w/ some of this. Maybe make a few shows to help other w/ this kind of endeavor. The Ben Heck show and Tekzilla would be ideal!
THat would be just too good to be true - but they'll probably be like tits or GTFO.

Iz, it looks like the pins on the bottom of the power supply are touching the case. Are you going to mount it up a little higher? I can;t see it's mount-
Yeah that was just sitting there for positioning, it wasnt mounted yet. I made threaded aluminum standoffs for the mount:

yep - thats what I have running in the system now.

Iz, you might want to modify the MS mounting. The heatsink on the MS3 board is intended to make contact with the aluminum case to increase surface area for cooling. You might want to add in something similar to your mounting solution. (which looks great btw)
Thanks much for the pointer SeaFarer - so after reading your reply, I bought a heatsink on Ebay, modified it, and welded it onto the stock sink:

Stock heatsink (crappy Ebay pic ftw):

The valuable lesson in this exercise was drain cleaner removes anodization, very hard anodization.

How much is this rig going to weigh? That is alot of DOM.. Nice build though..
Not exactly sure - we'll just have to wait and see.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
The valuable lesson in this exercise was drain cleaner removes anodization, very hard anodization.
Oven cleaner does the same.

seafarer76

Reaction score
City, State
Laramie, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
That heat sink will do nicely.

iammattchew

Reaction score
City, State
Belleville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
All I want for Christmas is.... izwack

to get done with this damn thing already! ;)

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Its funny that the thread tags for this thread are "newb" and "newbie" hehe
That's for IZ...he's making it up as he goes along:p:

Punjab

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
Its like witnessing a double rainbow!

Hellboy22

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Hey, I just went through the whole build and all I can say is WOW!!! I'm amazed by your fab skills and all!! I can't wait to see this thing finished... Cheers from Costa Rica.
Moises C.

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Updates?

iammattchew

Reaction score
City, State
Belleville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Alright IZwack. We're getting worried.

Are you ok? Can we at least get a pic of you with your shirt off in front of the beast? (you know, so we know you're ok.)

k thx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.