supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 157 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that has to be it, everything else is in place, tested and working

Is the cam sensor set 180 out because of the custom crank sensor?
If so then I will not need to do this I am using stock explorer crank sensor.

THIS IS GOING TO WORK!!! Friday cannot come soon enough :)

CNP = coil near plug, correct?

FYI frustration is part of the game when we get into custom conversions and setups like these, we shall persevere!!
Some take longer then others, and some are more frustrating then others, but they all eventually hit the road.
We are better for each battle we win

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

so it was around 35C (95F) with the humidity yesterday, way to gross to work on anything. so when i got home it was a little more barrable (until mosquitoes big enough to have call letters on them came out) and flipped the cam sync out 180 degrees. i didnt want to try starting it incase it backfired and would wake up anyone within a block.
loaded the original start up tune in this morning and crossed my fingers. well, crossing my fingers didnt help, but it is closer now. it will turn, catch, then turn and catch. so i may have to advance the sync one tooth more because swinging it didnt make any difference. will have to try that tonight when i get home because its been raining on and off today. that and i can hopefully get a hold of the guy thats tuning it as well.

Progress is progress, you will have it going soon!

so i have gave up on the guy that was going to tune it. 2 weeks have gone by and cant get ahold of him. this is the part that i hate, relying on other people to do something for you that you cant do yourself (or i cant yet). i was referred to a remote tuner in KS that has looked things over. if i didnt mention it before, for some reason it is loosing the crank signal. once again, took it out, looked the wiring over, made sure had the clearance it was supposed to have, yet if you try cranking it more then twice it looses signal. so what i am going to try (and i am sure it will mess somethings up) is put the stock sensor in and see what that does. the problem with that is its a 2 wire where the sensor i am using and holley are set up as 3 wire. according to holley i have to use both the ground wire from them and the input wire, so we shall see how this goes

I may be wrong but on most trucks the crank sensor wires are shielded like Coaxial cable All of the rotating parts in the engine will mess up The signal
This is just a thought hope it helps me

Attachments

• engine-controls-1-of-4.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 44

Did you polarize your CPS or is your crank position polarized?

Did you polarize your CPS or is your crank position polarized?
That I did not know until today. It is polarized, and no I did not do that. If you know how to, my ears (in this case eyes) are wide open! When I called motion race works they did mention this

I may be wrong but on most trucks the crank sensor wires are shielded like Coaxial cable All of the rotating parts in the engine will mess up The signal
This is just a thought hope it helps me
There is a shielded wire that I have ran to ground

@vroomzoomboom On my When I replaced my 2 wire crank sensor on my 4.0 SOHC, the replacement wires were black. That made me think that it didn't matter which way they went. I couldn't get it to run. Then @donalds asked me if I had hooked them up correctly because there is a + and a - wire. I swapped them, then it would start and run.

@vroomzoomboom On my When I replaced my 2 wire crank sensor on my 4.0 SOHC, the replacement wires were black. That made me think that it didn't matter which way they went. I couldn't get it to run. Then @donalds asked me if I had hooked them up correctly because there is a + and a - wire. I swapped them, then it would start and run.
It’s a little different for a 3 wire. You have a groud, signal, and. 5v or 12v going to it. The wires I have checked a couple of times. I thought you had done the polarization for a 3 wire

stuck the stock crank sensor in, and ***** still not working.

this is getting old......

and holley tech line is useless

no but it did change on the lights right? The video I saw of the new setup (stock crank sensor) has the cam and crank sensor LED lights blue while cranking. What does blue mean? Better than red I assume!!
Try your latest crank sensor wiring idea and lets see if that helps
seems like if you have fuel and you are getting spark (are you?) then it would be a timing issue or issue with the actual install of the supercharger/intakes/plumbing

no but it did change on the lights right? The video I saw of the new setup (stock crank sensor) has the cam and crank sensor LED lights blue while cranking. What does blue mean? Better than red I assume!!
Try your latest crank sensor wiring idea and lets see if that helps
seems like if you have fuel and you are getting spark (are you?) then it would be a timing issue or issue with the actual install of the supercharger/intakes/plumbing

blue means gap detected......what ever that means.
when i got home last night, i looked over what the other guy sent me. i have it wired the way he told me to do. he did say he did change some things in the start up tune. he also mailed me this morning and said if it doesnt fire, to change the fire order in the ecu 180 out (but i dont think that would matter with it being a batch fire order).

from the link:
"So I ended up speaking with a Holley tech on the phone and having blue on the LED for cam is bad. I must have a wire wrong on the longer cam harness that I have. I'll fix this weekend. Thanks Holley."

i quickly took a look at that don (thanks btw). i am also thinking his issue may be different then mine. he had said his is running. mine hasnt started yet. i can also say for the crank sensor it can also sometimes land between teeth and toss the blue led.
i can say i am very ready to rip this out and put the factory stuff back in.
the tuner was busy today, so he will have a look tomorrow. also the guy that played around with the tune is also free tomorrow. i as well have tomorrow off.

im also going to buy a few barrels of gas, and a shinny new lighter.....

And hot dogs?

Don't give up yet. Its easy to say from where I'm sitting, but there is an answer. I don't believe for a second that you wont find that answer.

more fail. today i had both my tuner, as well as another person on a conference call while i was in the truck with the laptop going trying to figure out the problem (the other guy makes adaptors EFI Adapters for all the systems to work that the holley terminator wont). both of them couldnt figure out why i was either loosing signal with the motion sensor, and why it wouldnt even read the stock sensor. not to sound arrogant but they wanted to blame the wiring. when i told them the only thing that had to be done was put the connector on and that was it. that and also it would get a signal then drop it, so it couldnt be the wiring. (this is the crank sensor btw). they both said to get a holley sensor that way it would be completely put to rest. so, 250 dollars later, it will be here Tuesday and this wonderful merry-go-round will continue

Your in it, and your sanity is worth more than $250.00
Sound like you have climbed the ladder of tech support pretty good.

Your in it, and your sanity is worth more than $250.00
Sound like you have climbed the ladder of tech support pretty good.
its not what its worth, its what it can afford.

and right? i just happen to be lucky at the moment where the tuner, and the other guy had time to be on the phone, and i was hooked into evil. at least the 2 of them were able to talk Greek for me because there would have been no way i would have been able to be a go between. now i wait for the sensor to come. it also brought a new problem. the mount that i got wont work. lucky once again, i know a guy here that did a v8 swap in his ranger, and also put a terminator in it. he made a mount for his sensor, but is no where near ready to start up his truck (changing stuff i guess) so he gave me the one he was going to use, and will make a new one for himself.

300849055_3641699452723463_3066878535810143443_n.jpg

Can you try different tone rings for your harmonic balancer

Back