Sylvania zXe vs. PIAA Xtreme White vs. Phillips Diamond Vision | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sylvania zXe vs. PIAA Xtreme White vs. Phillips Diamond Vision

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Options for head/fog lights on 2014 Sport that have the HID "look"?

Hey guys, new to the forums. I did a search but came up empty.

Was wondering if anyone knew what buld replacements for the 2014 sport would give off that clean white light that true HID does, WITHOUT having to convert the headlights over to true HID.

I have a few other cars with HID and it's great and I guess iv'e gotten used to it, but I'm not willing to rip apart the headlight in order to get the real deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Jack McD
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Lowell, MA

You can get some new bulbs that are closer to the HID look but will never be the same. Silverstars come to mind, I think Phillips makes a set that are super white. I'm sure if you googled it you could find many brands that claim to have super white halogen bulbs for the application.

Was wondering if anyone knew what buld replacements for the 2014 sport would give off that clean white light that true HID does, WITHOUT having to convert the headlights over to true HID.

I have a few other cars with HID and it's great and I guess iv'e gotten used to it, but I'm not willing to rip apart the headlight in order to get the real deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Jack McD
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Lowell, MA
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your thread to this one and also provided a link to a thread on fog lights.

Peter

Jack McD
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Lowell, MA

Jack...really?

If you are a male and can turn a screwdriver and a socket set then Jesus, you can easily install a coolbulbs.com bulbs for your headlights and fogs. Best mod I did. EZZZZZZ If you are afraid of getting dirty, invest in some LAVA soap and start the project. 6000K bulbs...no more questions! If you don't fit the following please sell your explorer immediately and buy a vw beetle turbo or a miata.

Buzz

Haha, really? Because the new explorer just screams "I am man, hear me roar!"

Barking up the wrong tree brutha.

Multiple vehicles. I just dont add them to my signature. Im on numerous forums with vehicles with well over 600hp. This is my newest one that is left outside. Nicer vehicles to keep in the shade. Thanks for the post.

Buzz

Wow, you're the one that was belittling someone for asking a question about light bulbs. You don't know what vehicles I have either and I don't feel the need to measure my manhood by that standard so it's not something I would even bring up. Congrats on your many impressive successes but I don't think I'll google you. Good luck with your etiquette though.

Lighting questions on 2014 EX Limited

Just purchased a 2014 Limited. Great so far but it is a big downsize from my Expedition! Has anyone figured out how to keep the fog lights on when the headlights are switched to high beams? Also looking to upgrade the bulbs in the headlights and fog lights. Don't want to go to HID or LED, so looking for the brightest halogen without getting into the "too blue" category. Thanks!

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx

OEM is the option Dual Beam Headlight Bulb 9005 - the rest of the bulbs are in here as well.
You can see the pick choices for model and yr - Ex in 2014 not on here yet, but the 2013 is the same. The OEM is a Sylvania 9005 series Standard Halogen.
I hated mine, anything except pitch blackness could wash out my lights and many times I though my lights were off. Fricking horrible.
I put in the 2nd model bulbs up, the Xtravision-$25 a pair and long life.
Now they are normal lights and I can see the beams as well as not being washed out by the car next to me or street lights.
I may get the SilverStar as they look plenty bright, shorter life. But with the amazing potholes left over from winter all over - brighter bulbs may be necessary.

The Sylvania chart is here cant seem to find it now but it describes differences in light output and life of this series. Any of these halogens/9005 will fit the Ex2013 - I would bet the 2014 too.
Just pop out one bulb and look - it should be a Sylvania. Available at Autozone or you name it - Walmart...etc
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=108556

Just purchased a 2014 Limited. Great so far but it is a big downsize from my Expedition! Has anyone figured out how to keep the fog lights on when the headlights are switched to high beams? Also looking to upgrade the bulbs in the headlights and fog lights. Don't want to go to HID or LED, so looking for the brightest halogen without getting into the "too blue" category. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum cobra671.:wavey:
I don't even know if it is legal to have the fogs and hi beams on at the same time. No vehicle I have had allows it. It also wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to have them on together. In foggy situations the last thing you need on is the high beams and when your high beams are on you should not need the fog lights. Fog lights are not intended to be 'driving' lights.
I will merge this thread with an existing one that discusses upgraded bulbs.

Peter

Cobra,
If you have a Limited, doesnt it come with HID or was that optional? Anyway i think it states in the manual that high beam turns the fogs off while high is on.

Ive had the Philips Diamond Vision and i liked it on the fogs, but i eventually went with HIDs. I suppose the recommendation would be Silverstars if you dont have HID heads.

Luker & Peter...thanks for the info

Roaming...On Limited 2014's HID's are only available in the top option package which was about $3k more than the mid-level package I got. Not worth it to get HID. I don't think my wife would sit still for me cutting on wires in a 1 week old car, so it sounds like Silverstars are the best I can do with the halogen setup. I have them on my '01 F250 and had them on the '03 Expedition I just traded in. The Expedition had great lights, mainly because Ford separated the low and high beams into two separate bulbs. When you turned on the highs, the lows stayed on as well...lots of light. Thanks everyone!

Luker & Peter...thanks for the info

Roaming...On Limited 2014's HID's are only available in the top option package which was about $3k more than the mid-level package I got. Not worth it to get HID. I don't think my wife would sit still for me cutting on wires in a 1 week old car, so it sounds like Silverstars are the best I can do with the halogen setup. I have them on my '01 F250 and had them on the '03 Expedition I just traded in. The Expedition had great lights, mainly because Ford separated the low and high beams into two separate bulbs. When you turned on the highs, the lows stayed on as well...lots of light. Thanks everyone!

Check with the guys here who added HIDs. I dont think there was any cutting of wires. On my fogs there was none, it was all plug and play.

On one of the other posts someone here was looking at adding the Limited HID parts to a SPORT in order to replicate the Limited HID in a SPORT

At first glance a lot of the parts are similar, looking like $300 or less to replicate.

Might just be HID bulbs and ballasts.

Im just waiting to see if this is a plug and play upgrade or more involved.

I dont know enough about it yet to make a decision.

You mean to tell me our WAY BETTER then a Limited, Sports dont come with HID, but the Limited slow POS does?

Yup

Even the 2015 Sport won't have HID headlights

Have to wait for 2016

You mean to tell me our WAY BETTER then a Limited, Sports dont come with HID, but the Limited slow POS does?
I totally disagree with that SLOW POS remark. It is neither for most owners. If I were to compare the Sport to an F1 car, the same could be said (SLOW) about the Sport. Your remarks are not based on a fair comparison.
BTW, as I've said several times, The HID lights in my 2011 were my biggest disappointment in comparison to the Philips X-treme halogens I had in my Highlander.

Peter

I totally disagree with that SLOW POS remark. It is neither for most owners. If I were to compare the Sport to an F1 car, the same could be said (SLOW) about the Sport. Your remarks are not based on a fair comparison.
BTW, as I've said several times, The HID lights in my 2011 were my biggest disappointment in comparison to the Philips X-treme halogens I had in my Highlander.

Peter

Your right, my bad, im just pissed the Sport should be the Top model and if ANY other model came with HID its stupid, my Sport was 49K, HID should be Standard as well as rain sensing wipers(which pisses me off the most)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK so if you dont want to run HID's, which bulbs are the Best? Links please to the best place to buy um.
Iv learned my times that if there not OEM HID's, forget it!

Back