Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3.4 Update 21020 and OTA Updates

I drove about 50 miles today with several stops. Travel Link did not work at every startup so I think the problem still exists.
Mine worked once for a short time. So will see what Ford service finds on Thursday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine's going in on Wednesday ... it worked OK today ... but we'll see what happens tomorrow!!

Ken

I'm still downloading map update files. Have been for a few days. :D

Peter

I have a 2021 Explorer with the same issues. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they believe it is the satellite splitter for the radio/ travel link. I told them about the TSB 20-2363 and they said that my SYNC was up to date. They believe if the cable doesn't fix it I may need a new APIM. The Explorer is only 2 months old with 2,500 miles on it.

From a “what changed” perspective, it’s more likely something related to the software than any physical hardware problem. Especially since it seems to be happening on multiple vehicle lines and only after the update.

From a “what changed” perspective, it’s more likely something related to the software than any physical hardware problem. Especially since it seems to be happening on multiple vehicle lines and only after the update.
What are the chances that a Ford service department might know about this? I'm scheduled to take mine in on Thursday. If it's unlikely that they would I can cancel and wait as it's not urgent.

What are the chances that a Ford service department might know about this? I'm scheduled to take mine in on Thursday. If it's unlikely that they would I can cancel and wait as it's not urgent.

As of today, nothing, I just returned from service and they did do some research prior to me getting there but could find no direction. Travel Link was working all day Sunday and Monday but first thing this morning it was not so I was able to show them the problem. Without having direction from Ford on what to do I asked them check if they had a more recent update but they said they did not. So I asked them to reinstall Sync 21020 and the map update to validate my install and they advised that they did not have a procedure or the ability (apparently) to do it. They did say there were no error codes found. So they notated the service record that they acknowledged the complaint and that it may take a new software revision to fix the issue.

I left the dealership (not working), stopped for gas then it started working again.

I tend to agree. For me it's a an intermittent problem. Will we have to wait for the next scheduled update or will the dealerships get patch to solve this?

I tend to agree. For me it's a an intermittent problem. Will we have to wait for the next scheduled update or will the dealerships get patch to solve this?

I loaded this on one of my cars to see if it happens to me. I had jumped to the next release (haven’t seen it happen there) instead of this one. Unless they sent out a notice to dealers, they wouldn’t be aware of it yet. Not sure how they’d handle it at this point.

I loaded this on one of my cars to see if it happens to me. I had jumped to the next release (haven’t seen it happen there) instead of this one. Unless they sent out a notice to dealers, they wouldn’t be aware of it yet. Not sure how they’d handle it at this point.
Mine is intermittent too. This was the first update in a long time. Last year there were more frequent ones so maybe a new version is coming soon...

Mine is intermittent too. This was the first update in a long time. Last year there were more frequent ones so maybe a new version is coming soon...
Mine worked yesterday and today now. Takes about 4 minutes to load up though. If it's working tomorrow I'm going to cancel my service appointment for Thursday.

Mine worked yesterday and today now. Takes about 4 minutes to load up though. If it's working tomorrow I'm going to cancel my service appointment for Thursday.
They probably won't do anything if they can't confirm the problem, but if it's not working bring it in. The more complaints they get the faster they may do something about it.

They probably won't do anything if they can't confirm the problem, but if it's not working bring it in. The more complaints they get the faster they may do something about it.
I do plan on taking it in if it stops working again. And if it makes anyone feel better I see a number of different Ford vehicles are having this issue after the 21020 update.

I do plan on taking it in if it stops working again. And if it makes anyone feel better I see a number of different Ford vehicles are having this issue after the 21020 update.
Mine worked on a few trips then later in the day stopped working. Still an intermittent loading problem sorta like the station logos that periodically stop loading. Then after restart they show up again.

Just curious - how do we get these OTA updates? WiFi only? In-vehicle cell modem (AT&T)? Sat link? Does it use the same method as the remote start through the FordPass app (which I’m guessing is either the onboard cell modem or a sat link)?

Seems to me they better find a more reliable way to send data than a spotty WiFi connection that only seems to work when there’s power on!!

Ken

Just curious - how do we get these OTA updates? WiFi only? In-vehicle cell modem (AT&T)? Sat link? Does it use the same method as the remote start through the FordPass app (which I’m guessing is either the onboard cell modem or a sat link)?

Seems to me they better find a more reliable way to send data than a spotty WiFi connection that only seems to work when there’s power on!!

Ken
To my knowledge, only WIFI and I believe it's only the Map update.

Still loading map files. Have been since May 6th. It seems the connection drops from time to time and I also found out yesterday that I had a weak battery. Put the charger on it this morning. I read that a weak battery is one of the things that will prevent downloading. The map version shows 2.20 even though the downloads are not complete. Travel link is still showing 'subscribed'.

Peter

Took mine in for service beacause of the Travel Link issue. And of course it was working when I got there. They ran the TSB and checked what they could but did not find any issues. Now for the funny part. I didn't check the travel link before leaving but when I did it had stopped working again. Called them back and told them what happened. They wanted me to come back in with Monday but told them I would rather wait a week to see if it starts working again. Makes me thin k that when Sync is updated with this version it messes Travel Link up. Time will tell.

Took mine in for service beacause of the Travel Link issue. And of course it was working when I got there. They ran the TSB and checked what they could but did not find any issues. Now for the funny part. I didn't check the travel link before leaving but when I did it had stopped working again. Called them back and told them what happened. They wanted me to come back in with Monday but told them I would rather wait a week to see if it starts working again. Makes me thin k that when Sync is updated with this version it messes Travel Link up. Time will tell.
The Travel Link issue has been intermittent for over a week since I updated the software. Sometimes stops working for a few days then starts again, then after 3 or 4 startups, it stops again. Today it worked pretty consistently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still loading map files. Have been since May 6th. It seems the connection drops from time to time and I also found out yesterday that I had a weak battery. Put the charger on it this morning. I read that a weak battery is one of the things that will prevent downloading. The map version shows 2.20 even though the downloads are not complete. Travel link is still showing 'subscribed'.

Peter

I believe it pulls your local map chunk first along with the nav voice pack and license. Then pulls the other map chunks after. Hence, you see it as updated, but more pieces keep coming down.

I haven't had any issues with TravelLink on either of my cars when I rolled them back. The newer one took a bit to get traffic info down after the first reboot, but everything has been working fine there.

Back