Tow Hooks

Firefighter

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin/Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
Hi,
I need to install tow hook(s) on the rear of my 01 Explorer Sport. My off road club requires them, and I can't really see a good spot to mount them on the frame. It has no receiver hitch, and the only mounting locations that look like they would work are on the bottom of the bumper, towards the middle on either sides of the ball mount. Are those sturdy enough? Should I install one hook or two? Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should only mount Tow hooks to the frame not the bumper or the support bracket under it... I believe the bumper is only rated @ 3500lbs. They may make tow hooks for your year... Check out this OEM Rear tow Hook thread.

Hey! Thats mine now :p Yes, I would look into one of those or just get the hitch and get a shackle for it. That would be the best and strongest way to go.

Thanks for the help
Would a Ford dealer sell those? How much do you think they'd charge? I know some of their parts are really overpriced. Do I need longer bolts to install them? Thanks again.

You will need longer bolts. Make sure the are grade 8. I think thats the grade you need. You will replace the two that hold the bumper in place and a third that attaches the hook to the frame. I'll grab a pic of how mine is mounted in the morning.

Nevermind, its grade 5. Just read the thread on it.

Ok, thanks. I saw the pictures on the other thread, I just wanted to confirm. Thanks a lot for your help. By the way, how does your 4.0 sound with the Flowmaster? Which model did you buy? Does it sound throatier, more like a V-8?

if you only need one point, you can also get the hook off of a 98-99ish sport(not sure of the year)...thats what i have and it looks good because its factory. it tucks right under the bumper and bolts right up.

Attachments

• rearhook.jpg
    rearhook.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 738

rfuree11 said:
if you only need one point, you can also get the hook off of a 98-99ish sport(not sure of the year)...thats what i have and it looks good because its factory. it tucks right under the bumper and bolts right up.

I wish ford just made one for the otherside too. :rolleyes:

Just mount it to the frame... I mounted a hook in the rear to my frame.. You can squeeze one in the rear right near the bumper..

rfuree11 said:

Thats what mine is!

The muffler is nice. I wouldn't say its like a V8 at all. But it is more throatier and a lot louder. Its a 40 series sound-a-like that now has a hole in it only after a year :fire: Don't get cheap like me!!!

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. I really appreciate it.

Here's a few pics of mine.

Attachments

• DSC00836.JPG
    DSC00836.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 752
  • DSC00837.JPG
    DSC00837.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 731

Would A 98 Or 99 Tow Hook Work W/ My 1993 X???

NCJASON said:
Would A 98 Or 99 Tow Hook Work W/ My 1993 X???

They're all the same.

Your hook looks a lot beefier than mine. I thought they were partly for the tie-down when they were trailered.

568218_47_full.jpg

So they are different, They should mount the same though. Must be '99 and newer that got that style.

Damn, now I've got to get one like yours. I suddenly don't like mine anymore. :p That pic of mine looks terrible too. Time for some paint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got one similar to those mounted up front. Remove you bumper, mark the holes, drill into the frame, install the hook, put bumper back on....you're done. I'm not exactly sure what the rear bumper mounts look like, but for the front end, it takes some creative maneuvering through the frame. But super easy once you figure out the system.

Back