TTB Steering Mod - build thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TTB Steering Mod - build thread

Mock up stage progress and photos

Parts were the the hold up last weekend, as you can tell from the BOM. I tried to provide details of the parts and feedback on the suppliers in the comments, so whomever reproduces this project provided its successful can shop around. I've been waiting 2 weeks for 1 part from Poly Performance. My first and likely last time I'll order from them.

It's my opinion, this is overbuilt for my application.
I have to retract this statement from my previous post. I'd rather it's over than under-built. Size is relative.

There have been some changes, not to the overall concept, but to the location of the tie rods in relation to their positions front and rear of the inner tie rod plate, it's opposite what the hand drawing layout shows. I reversed it to reduce the bend angle needed for the tie rod on the front side of the tie rod plate. If you are observant, the location of the inner tie rod plate is off center, it's closer to the passengers side. This allows for shallower angle in the tie rod if the bent one is moved to the drivers side. I did this to reduce the possibility of interference with the wheel and tie rod when turned to it's max. All other clearances look OK.

I'm a little surprised at the overall sum of the components, my initial estimates I thought would add up to $200-300.

I sent the left side tie rod out to be bent 25 degrees to clear the inner tie rod plate and it should be back today or Monday. The inner tie rod plate is not mocked up yet, but will be by the end of today and dropped off for plasma cutting Monday when my adjustable tie rid link finally arrives.

ExplorerSteering1.jpg

ExplorerSteering2.jpg

ExplorerSteering3.jpg

ExplorerSteering4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More illustrations

Photos:

ExplorerSteering5.jpg

ExplorerSteering6.jpg

Idler arm mocked up, tested for interference

With the wheels turned max-right, the idler arm touches the frame. I'll have to notch the frame a little, not much.

Passenger side Tie rods clear the traction beam but it's close.

IdlerArmRough.jpg

IdlerArm1.jpg

IdlerArm2.jpg

IdlerArm3.jpg

Turning extremes

So far, so good. No major issues or any indications this wont work.

LeftTurn.jpg

RightTurn.jpg

InnerTieRodPlate.jpg

That last one looks like sagging *****.
maybe I just need to get laid...

I'm a little surprised at the overall sum of the components, my initial estimates I thought would add up to $200-300.

...How much are you up to?..:scratch:

Looks like a much improved version of the superruner setup. Subbing.

Tbars4 ...How much are you up to?..
Grand Total: $406.06 (taken from first post BOM)

Still to go:
+Welding
+powder coat

tweakedlogic. That last one looks like sagging *****.
I thought the same thing. We've been watching too much National Geographic.

bats. Looks like a much improved version of the superruner setup.
Err, uhh, I really don't see it. Superrunner who? LIKENESS OR SIMILARITIES TO ACTUAL EVENTS, PEOPLE, ... OR SIMILARITIES ARE UNINTENTIONAL AND PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

Looking good.

Only thing I'd probably do different is make the upper end of the idler arm wider (longer tube), which would distribute the leverage against the bushings better (less deflection).

Idea for version II

Looking good.

make the upper end of the idler arm wider (longer tube), which would distribute the leverage against the bushings better (less deflection).

That's an excellent suggestion. Indeed, there is ample space on the frame for it. I like it, i like it a lot.
I see two options; a DIY'r would have to weld the pieces of the bracket, assuming most are not setup to bend 3/8 steel. If you are out fitted with a full shop including a heavy brake, one could simply fab a longer bracket. I fit into group 1, but I don't trust my welding skills to fab steering components. Do you, or anyone else following think we could find a pre-fabbed component for those of us who would want an off the shelf option? Never mentioned was my intent for an average Joe to be able to assemble the parts, build this in his garage. Weld at your own risk.

RustySJohnson: I'll have to notch the frame a little, not much.
It occurred to me an easier option would be to add a 1/2" spacer between the upper idler arm bracket and frame. This seems a little easier and with no sacrifice of strength.

Over budget, unexpected delays

I forgot all about that when I picked up my farmed-out parts. I couldn't wait to get home and test fit my freshly-fabbed parts. Here they are.

I think, cough-cough, I'm feeling, sneeze-sneeze, a little, sniffle-sniffle, too sick to make it into the office tomorrow.

expl1.jpg

expl2.jpg

expl3.jpg

Expl4.jpg

Wrapping up Mock up tomorrow

Getting closer.

expl5.jpg

expl6.jpg

It does look good. however, I have a concern. Have you thought about what's going to happen when you need to go over something taller than your ground clearance? It will be fine if you can roll over it with your tire first, but that may not be possible in a tight situation.
I would like to recommend a skid plate from bumper support to brackets from the engine cross member.

I don't know what the upper linkage motion is, so this might be a stupid question; but could said skid plate mounting bracket interfere with the motion of the linkage if attached to the engine crossmember? Would it be better if it had is own support structure attached to the frame rails in front of the linkage, and would therefor be freestanding?

You have to have support in the back or it will just bend into what you are protecting. You will have to weld support brackets to the cross member.

I've been toying with the idea of grafting in the rack from 3rd gens using the cross member. But I no longer work at that shop. :(

Skid plate - Mock up complete

I'm concerned as well, it's naked - that's for sure. Nothing more than snow till it's addressed. I've thought about it and have an idea, but it's difficult explaining without illustrating what I'm visualizing. I'm not that good of a writer to explain, imagine trying to describe this steering setup without a drawing. My intent was for a skid-plate to serve two purposes; strengthen the radius arm drop bracket, and simply serve as a skid-plate. I was contemplating fabbing it out of heavy tube and thin sheet metal as filler. I'll have to stare at it for a few more hours. I'm not sure what the extended and compressed flex will be yet, but I want to extend the radius arms as well. All this combined will determine where and how. Any skid plate ideas are welcome.

Mock up is complete, I played hooky today. I dropped the tacked up parts off for finish welding and will be ready for pickup tomorrow after work. It'll have to be painted; originally I was going to powder coat, but I'm over my self imposed budget, it's X-Mas, and I already have the paint.

Welding done, primered

What a great experience I had with Mike from "Big Time Off Road" and Customs (I had to give him a plug here). He completed my finish welding, I couldn't be happier. Primered, my fabbed up parts will be ready for tomorrow, I can hardly wait. Here's some pics:

ExplorerUpperIdlerBracket.jpg

ExplorerSteeringModTieRodPlate.jpg

ExplorerSteeringModWeldFab.jpg

ExplorerSteeringModPrimer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finish paint complete and upper idler arm bracket mounted

It was still a little tacky this morning. It'll be dry for installation tonight.

ExplorerIdlerArmBracketUpper.jpg

ExplorerSteeringFinishPainted.jpg

Back