What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

So.. since I've bought the Sport in August...:
- Tinted Windows (5% rears and 20% fronts)
- Explorer cargo mats (3rd row and rear cargo)
- Weathertech floor liners (front, 2nd row & 3rd row)
- Weathertech Window Deflectors
- Yakima Roof Basket
- Front and Rear Molded Splash Guards
- All interior lighting and Puddle lights to LED (still need to do Vanity and Glove box..)
- Upgraded to full JL Audio sound system (did not replace head unit)

To Do:
- H&R Springs
- Exhaust (still not sure on which one)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got the H&R lowering springs installed on '16 Sport! Total drop was almost 1.25" up front and 1" in the rear. Sits level and looks amazing!

So.. since I've bought the Sport in August...:
- Tinted Windows (5% rears and 20% fronts)
- Explorer cargo mats (3rd row and rear cargo)
- Weathertech floor liners (front, 2nd row & 3rd row)
- Weathertech Window Deflectors
- Yakima Roof Basket
- Front and Rear Molded Splash Guards
- All interior lighting and Puddle lights to LED (still need to do Vanity and Glove box..)
- Upgraded to full JL Audio sound system (did not replace head unit)

To Do:
- H&R Springs
- Exhaust (still not sure on which one)

Not sure if I received defective 2nd and 3rd row mats from WeatherTech last year, but the 2nd and 3rd row are starting to fold and not holding their shape (they are much thinner than the fronts).
I just sent in a warranty claim and let's see what they come back with.

After I received my WT's.. I called them about my 2nd row.
The side do appear to fold in and not lay against the sides.
I had emailed them and sent them pictures...

They responded indicating that it is a "minor" deformity and that I should remove the Floorliners and lay them upside down and place a weighted object on top to allow the edges to bow back out.

I haven't tried this yet.. but it seems that it would be a "temporary" fix as it would seem that the edges would start to bow back in after some time.

The 1st and 3rd rows fit nicely. I'm not sure if there really is a fix for the 2nd row.

Finally got the H&R lowering springs installed on '16 Sport! Total drop was almost 1.25" up front and 1" in the rear. Sits level and looks amazing!

Do you have any pics you can show?
I'm thinking about order the H&R's as well.
I thought the drops were 1.25 front and 1.65 rear... maybe yours still needs some settling time?

Do you have any pics you can show?
I'm thinking about order the H&R's as well.
I thought the drops were 1.25 front and 1.65 rear... maybe yours still needs some settling time?

Will try and get some pics posted later this week. And as far as drop goes, I hope they don't settle too much more as I really like the current height/ride.

Added splash guards. I bought them on eBay and they came from China but they have all of the Ford part numbers and oval stamped into them. I'll happily pay $40 including shipping for reproductions that look this good.

I also ordered some chrome fog light accents.

So, this was a few months ago, but just now getting around to posting the pictures. So i somewhat cleaned the Expo up but had the taillight, headlight turn signal, side mirror, third brake light and lower reflector all tinted. Magnaflow exhaust added with the resonator removed and straight piped. Finally had the front windshield tinted on the banner part.

So, this was a few months ago, but just now getting around to posting the pictures. So i somewhat cleaned the Expo up but had the taillight, headlight turn signal, side mirror, third brake light and lower reflector all tinted. Magnaflow exhaust added with the resonator removed and straight piped. Finally had the front windshield tinted on the banner part. On to the pictures;
Don't see any pictures.

So, this was a few months ago, but just now getting around to posting the pictures. So i somewhat cleaned the Expo up but had the taillight, headlight turn signal, side mirror, third brake light and lower reflector all tinted. Magnaflow exhaust added with the resonator removed and straight piped. Finally had the front windshield tinted on the banner part.
I really hope you can get the pictures to load. I would love to see the tint you have done since I am planning to do it myself to my 17

I really hope you can get the pictures to load. I would love to see the tint you have done since I am planning to do it myself to my 17

I'm trying, for some reason it won't load them on my post. I guess I will have to post the link to photobucket.

So I have been trying to load images with no success. So here is the link to my photobucket

(dead link)

Yeah I noticed, I can't get it to appear for some reason, a little help if you want to private message me
The only way you can upload photos to the Forum using the "Upload a File" procedure is by taking out an Elite membership. This will also ensure the pictures do not disappear after a while because they are then loaded onto our servers. There was a procedure shown as to how to use photobucket to post photos but since the forum's software upgrade that doesn't seem to exist anymore. A membership is $20 and usually during Black Friday period a 2 for 1 is offered so you can get 2 years for the price of one. A good deal which also helps to support the Forum.

Peter

I have upgraded to led puddle lights and license plate lights. They now match the LED headlight package the car came with. Lowering and tuning are next up or the stereo.

Back to work on the Explorer Sport after a year off to settle our retirement move to the Catskills. This last week :

1) installed the Wind and Fire "Ford" LED puddle lights

(lost photos)

2) installed my custom "caution" hood sticker (on our Audi s5 as well) as found on eBay by another forum member (sorry, I don't have the forum message or eBay link at hand, will post later). Please excuse the dirty Sport, we live at the end of a half mile private dirt road and I haven't had a chance this year to clean the engine compartment.

3) installed the EGR integrated running boards (pics here)
Running Boards - DeeZee and Others

Doing research for my summer 22" wheels now. Stay tuned :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link I just bought one, great idea, much better use of that console.
Agreed. Although when one of your biggest gripes about the Ex is how the console is just a giant pit I suppose things could be worse. :)

Just ordered mine today, should be here Wednesday. When my wife is on her Christmas break Alfred will be put on blocks/jack stands and the calipers will be painted. Then (hopefully) the Livernois tune after the first of the year (assuming Mrs. Squirrel is still on board with it.)

Back