Wheeling/Camping in SE Ohio/West PA? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheeling/Camping in SE Ohio/West PA?

Baddecision93

Reaction score
City, State
Orrville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
The Buckeye Explorers don't seem to be the most active group on here but anybody???

I know that this is a question that most every Ohio 4x4 owner has but there just has to be something...I can't imagine this whole dang state is 4x4 truck unfriendly.

I just want a place I could camp, some unpaved roads, that's all. Just the "feel" of wheeling, lol. Maybe like a logging trail or old firetower access roads.

Anything that's not asphalt...

So, much help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gonna give this another try....

Anyone? I would be totally cool with a group trail ride with guys from here...Anyone? :(

I haven't really found much riding around where I am. Just a small place with like 2 or 3 dirt roads that go through some game lands. There was a place we used to take our dune buggy near youngstown I think. If I remember right it was kind of a busy place. I do not remember what the trails were like. I was only 13 when I was there last, which was 8 years ago now.

You thinking of JeepSkool? Garrettsville, I think is the town. That's about all I've been able to find. My aunt and uncle have some land on the westernmost border of the Allegheny Nat'l Forest State Park and I'm going out there this summer but it doesn't seem like there's really anything around there either.

We crossed there...I'd heard of people wheeling Wellsville. It would be nice if there were even just gravel roads through park land, you know? I'm not even looking for terribly challenging this time, just maybe some wash outs and some nice scenery. Something that it's preferable to have 4x4 to go over, you know?

We crossed there...I'd heard of people wheeling Wellsville. It would be nice if there were even just gravel roads through park land, you know? I'm not even looking for terribly challenging this time, just maybe some wash outs and some nice scenery. Something that it's preferable to have 4x4 to go over, you know?

Yeah, I think the trails at wellsville are a bit much for a stock, or mostly stock explorer unless you like becoming close friends with trees and such. I remember it being buggies and quads mostly. I agree, I nice scenic dirt road with a few challenges would be pretty nice.

Well, seems like us Ohio/PA guys are out of luck...at least eastern OH/western PA.

From what it looks like there are a decent amount of trails in east PA at least. Just sucks for me, driving 8 hours to get to any of them.

If you google it seems like there are people all over our area looking for trails. And there's lots of good wilderness too. I just can't wrap my head around why none of it is open to 4x4s.

Gonna toss out another request. Coming up on spring and I'm getting the itch to go out.

Eastern Ohio?

Western PA?

NW WV?

Anybody??? :(

Jeep skool

Been doing Jeep Skool since Easter last year and its always a great time. Family freindly, camping and a ton of trails. Stock trucks can wheel all day long and getting stuck is not an issue with all the recovery teams around the property.

I have been trying to get other exp guys to meet for a year now, but no one ever replies. Jeep Skool is the 1st weekend every month.

I know there is a national park in south east ohio that I hear is good too. Was planning to check it out this summer.

Been doing Jeep Skool since Easter last year and its always a great time. Family freindly, camping and a ton of trails. Stock trucks can wheel all day long and getting stuck is not an issue with all the recovery teams around the property.

I have been trying to get other exp guys to meet for a year now, but no one ever replies. Jeep Skool is the 1st weekend every month.

I know there is a national park in south east ohio that I hear is good too. Was planning to check it out this summer.

Thank goodness someone else responded lol. Gotta keep representing the Buckeye State with members who care!
I have been meticulously planning my maiden voyage to Jeep Skool. I want to go, badly, but I want to be prepared. I bought the parts to build my swing away tire carrier so I can have an accessible full sized spare and I just picked up my new bumper last night so I have tow points.
God willing the new bumpers and tire carrier will be on by the May Jeep Skool run. That's my goal right now. May...

As far as SE OH are you thinking Wellsville or Wayne Nat'l Forest?
I've heard tons of good things about WNF but from researching online it seems like it's just for ATVs and no trucks.

Jeep skool will have a ton of stuff for you, even running stock. I have an 01 Sport with IFS. I ran for hours stock the first time I went. You would be surprised what these trucks can do. Next time out I added 32s AT and TTL and AAL. Been running like that ever since. I just picked up a set of 33s mudders and hope to get the 3" body lift done before the next meet. Gotta get on that soon.

Your 92 has a solid axle, right? You should be just fine. I was gonna switch to an older version. One of theother Jeep skool guys runs all fords too and he said the pre 94 are the best for explorers cuz it already has the Solid up front.

Jeep skool has 4 main areas.

Dunes area. Nice rolling sand dunes and decent size hill. Always worried about it though, cuz it has a lot of wet sand in some spots. Never got stuck though. The trail is tight, so the body will get scratched by the tree branches, but it is a fun trail.

Upper Rim and lower rim. The whole place is built around an old mine. It has alot of water, but under the water is solid roock. So, no real chance of getting stuck in the river or rim trails. I have seen some deep holes though, but never got any water in my truck. Maybe 3ft in some spots???

Back woods...Mud mud mud. Lots of trails. I went though it in summer a few times. However, I only did the main trail for fear if high centering and lack of traction. Hoping to solve that with the 33s.

They have a bunch of cool hill climbs, obstacle coarse, rock crawling ect. Its just an awesome place and the support is great too. I think it s 50 buck for the weekend now, but its worth it for the peach of mind. Its safe and always people to help. Dont worry about not having a jeep either. I was worried id be the only non jeep, but about 20% of the trucks are not jeeps.

Ive wanted to do wellsville too, but read to many bad stories about it. Sounds like a blast, but goig with a group is advised.

The forrest is what I was thinking about S. Ohio. I read that trucks were allowed. I guess I need to call the park and find out.

Anyway, keep in touch. We should try to meet up in April for JS

Well I'm not exactly stock.

I'm running 31" tires, 4" Rough Country lift and did a spring over axle conversion to the rear, netted about 5.5" lift in the rear.

I bought a new diff for the front to go to 4.10 gears but I imagine I could run once with my 3.27s. I don't think I'll get switched over by April.

My body's completely shot lol so I'm not worried about scratching or denting panels. I have an arsenal of new panels just waiting for springtime so I can have fun and not worry about these :)

I have read a lot of horror stories about Wellsville too. It's pretty extreme stuff. I have a friend at work who grew up down there, said he'd show me around the good trails for non-extreme guys like me. I'll prob send out a message when that happens.

You've got my wheels turning now...I want to get more parts on so I can do April Jeep Skool now lol.

ahhhh, ur all good then for Jeep Skool. Ill probably follow you and you can tow me out LOL.

I heard Wells has lots of avg trails too, but the problem is no support. If something happens ur on ur own. Takes hour+ for emergency crew if needed. So, its probably best for a group ride. I think Lake County Offroad club goes a few times in the summer.

Well, keep me posted about jeep skool. My direct email is dsbfloors@yahoo.com or just post on here.

Thanks
dave

Sounds awesome. I don't know how much towing out I can do without a winch...my little gal is tired w/the 3.27s and those tires. I'll give it hell though! ;)

If you see an email come across from benvanzile@yahoo.com it's me. If I can get everything ready I'll throw up a notice on here & if I haven't heard from you I'll email you direct. Hope I can get ready in time!

Jeep Skool

Went this weekend. $40.00 to wheel all weekend. Great time. Did some fishing with my son and had a blast.

WE GOTTA GET AN EXPLORER group to go this summer. Ill be Florida for the July meet, but if you guys want a place to wheel and camp with no worries, GO TO JEEP SKOOL....You will have a great time.

Lets see if we can get a group to go for August...

I really wanted to make June just didn't make getting my truck ready enough of a priority.
I have some days off in July where I am doing a boatload of work to it so there's no reason I shouldn't be up for going in August.

I will try to start a thread a little closer to time and see if we can generate some interest.

Glad you were able to make it out and have a good time with your son.

Back