Tds 2007 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tds 2007

Nice job Colin:thumbsup: Sure I couldn't tempt you to come out with some carne asada?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We just returned from a weekend trip to Truckhaven. No Explorer, it got painted this weekend, and I am picking it up in a few days.

I found a great place to camp up on the mesa that gets us access to both sides, Truckhaven and Ocotillo OHV (I think). I did not walk all the way down the Octollio trail, but it looks well traveled and goes in the right direction. There is a way down into Truckhaven from right here, that I saw a Tacoma drive up, so I know any Explorer can make it.:cool:
AAA_Truckhaven.jpg

This entrance is 2.0 miles west of the second closed road on the right if you are heading west on S-22, and 1.5 miles east of the huge relay tower.
AAA_Truckhaven_2.jpg

And another, you can see where our RV was parked and its right on the edge of the cliff, and there is a way down just past it.
AAA_Truckhaven_3.jpg

In front of the RV is kind of a off shoot of the mesa that has a few spots already cleared for tents, and looks mostly flat for camping. There is even a fire ring at the edge of the cliff, for scenic campfires. If someone gets there around noon, it should not be a problem getting the spot, or one near it. I just liked this one because it has a interesting way down into Truckhaven.
AAA_Truckhaven_4.jpg

I also have it on GPS
33 degrees 16.751N
116 degrees 03.550W
395' above sea level.

What do you think??

Nice job Colin:thumbsup: Sure I couldn't tempt you to come out with some carne asada?:D

That's very tempting and I would love to, but I can't afford the gas for another trip... My gas bill for last month was over $250 and it's usually about ~$130.

Have fun guys. :thumbsup:

Oh, the weather this weekend was wonderful, sunny, warm, no people, just what we needed. Hung around the camp, went for a few walks, read two books, shot some guns, even flew a kite. My dog marked the entire area for re-entry. If I can't find it, she should have no problem.

Head count:

In::thumbsup:
DB1
Dan
Brian
Jefe
Ridge903

Maybe::feedback:
Brother of Jefe
Chief34
Stic-o

No::(
Froader
Rock Ranger

Is this list right? Anybody heard from Bill?

Brian, Looks like a good site.

I believe that John is out, which means I'll be tenting it. :(
I will likely only be out there for the Sat raffle & night run through Sunday afternoon, and I haven't decided if I'm coming out in the Ex or the Focus. :eek:

Can someone pick up my shirt & registration fri pm or sat am? Is anyone else planning to go to the raffle? Is anyone planning to stick around for a run Sunday?

I will likely only be out there for the Sat raffle & night run through Sunday afternoon, and I haven't decided if I'm coming out in the Ex or the Focus. :eek:

Can someone pick up my shirt & registration sat morning? Is anyone else planning to go to the raffle? Is anyone planning to stick around for a run Sunday?

I will be leaving Sunday afternoon so I'm up for a morning run. If you decide to take the focus you're more than welcome to ride with me.

I found this link to an overhead shot. You can see the dirt road go right up to the edge of the mesa, then there is an area on the right where the mesa sticks out into the desert, that is the spot.
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?...05809&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000
Oh, and go ahead and install the 3d viewer, its worth it. You can flip the picture around and even see the trail down into Truckhaven. This stuff is really cool.:cool:

Can someone pick up my shirt & registration fri pm or sat am? Is anyone else planning to go to the raffle? Is anyone planning to stick around for a run Sunday?

I can pick up your reg.& shirt on fri if no one else does.
I'll be going to the raffle sat. night.
I wouldn't mind doing short run on sun. morning.

Brian, is that the state park where you were at? If so, would it be better if weren't? Don't know if that makes a difference but otherwise I don't mind camping there or I may just camp out at the other spot since I know where it's at and I can tell my friends how the get there easily.

good news got the tax return in today meaning i am going to buy my 3in lift spindles and 2 in blocks for the rear and lifting it up hopefully before i come out if i can squeeze it in ayone konw just about how long it takes to install spindles hoping i can do it in a few days before i go to work one day

Brian, is that the state park where you were at? If so, would it be better if weren't?
The state park runs right along the San Diego / Imperial County line, so its just east of the park. The county line is right at that relay tower. The spot I found is easy to find, and trust me, you will like it just fine. Especially if the Octollio OHV area below where we usually camp is full of party animals who stay up all night, like I think is going to happen. :mad: Can't hear or see them from the new spot.

The state park runs right along the San Diego / Imperial County line, so its just east of the park. The county line is right at that relay tower. The spot I found is easy to find, and trust me, you will like it just fine. Especially if the Octollio OHV area below where we usually camp is full of party animals who stay up all night, like I think is going to happen. :mad: Can't hear or see them from the new spot.

Well sounds fine by me, I'll nab that spot Fri afternoon unless Tom gets there before me:thumbsup:

ok i have one thing that is getting there need to get a close as possible location so i cn map quest it then i guess call one of you guys to tell me from there and so there are going to be runs fri sat and sun cause if so i can take friday off and come on out that day

ok i have one thing that is getting there need to get a close as possible location so i cn map quest it then i guess call one of you guys to tell me from there and so there are going to be runs fri sat and sun cause if so i can take friday off and come on out that day

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Map Quest sucks.

If you are camping with us then punch in Salton City, that's the nearest town to camp. Don't know how you are coming out but if you get to hwy 86, head south to S22 and turn right. You'll then pass by some houses then it becomes open desert. The hwy will start to hook right and uphill, from there it should be a couple miles on the right. There's cell service where we camp so if you have any problems you can give me a call: Dave 760-333-4781

I'd like to get out on a sometime fri, I think Tom (FAKRWEE) is showing up fri too. Saturday of course will be a run and Sat. night i'll be heading over to the raffle in Ocotillo...anyone else? Sunday I believe we planned a short run before we pack up.

So are we settled on that spot Brian? Tom? Everybody? Just making sure:thumbsup:

I think that spot will be fine, and I like getting there in the RV better than going up that skinny trail to access the other spot in a 8'6" wide vehicle. I will be out Friday evening with some wood and the Explorer. I am picking up the Explorer on Friday morning, driving it to get some wood, then a short shake down to make sure everything works, then out to Truckhaven. My buddy Dan is planning on making it out there as well, so we will have a Sammy with us.:thumbsup:

Ridge, when you start coming up the hill you will see two dirt roads on your right with "ROAD CLOSED" signs posted. The turn off is exactly 2.0 miles west of the second road on your right. If you get to a large relay tower on your right, and notice the pavement changes at that spot, you went too far. Turn around and come back 1.5 miles and then turn left into the turnoff. You should be able to spot us, I guess it would help if someone had a strobe light or something......anyone????

Wow cutting it close on the Ex huh Brian? As long as everything works:D :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back