03 X Stereo build Pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 X Stereo build Pics

Tuned with an oscilloscope to check for clipping
PICT4932.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mad props bro! the only thing i don't like is the reverse camera..u have done alot of custom work and it all looks factory, and the rear view camera looks like u just made a hole and stuck it there..other than that .WOW
also what do the bass shakers connect to? after a quick google seems like it would be a nice addition to my system

Well I started this project in February of 07 when I got the X
I finished up in Augast
It was allot of hard work, I'm done for the most part, still have some things I want to do like:
-Replace interrior light beige panels with black Leather
-tune stereo with a rta mic
-Build a new subwoofer box with more curves on the corners and flares on the ports using bendable plywood. also so it doesn't hit the back hatch.
-The front fiberglass pods resonate really bad on some songs so I will need to thicken the fiberglass on them.
-led interrior lights

Overall I am very happy with the way it turned out. I love the way it sounds, allot better than I expected.

Will be going to allot of shows with it next summer.

Let me know what you think. ;)

mad props bro! the only thing i don't like is the reverse camera..u have done alot of custom work and it all looks factory, and the rear view camera looks like u just made a hole and stuck it there..other than that .WOW
also what do the bass shakers connect to? after a quick google seems like it would be a nice addition to my system

I dont like the camera placemet either. Was thinking about removing the rear winshild wiper and putting it in that hole but then I decided not to.
It will be easy though to fix that hole with a new plastic part from the dealership if I decide to move it.
The bass shakers connect to any amp that gives out 100htz and below
I have the 4 hooked up uner the rear seats and in the back of the front seats. they connect to my jl 6 channel amp hidden behind the rear panel.

I dont like the camera placemet either. Was thinking about removing the rear winshild wiper and putting it in that hole but then I decided not to.
It will be easy though to fix that hole with a new plastic part from the dealership if I decide to move it.
The bass shakers connect to any amp that gives out 100htz and below
I have the 4 hooked up uner the rear seats and in the back of the front seats. they connect to my jl 6 channel amp hidden behind the rear panel.

Yeah that would a great idea bro...i did that to my old truck.
hmm..i think i might get me some of the bass shackers. How much did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking? I found some for $99 for 2.

BTW any chance of you coming to NY? I live on Long Island..would love to seeit in person:thumbsup:

I think the shakers are only available now as surplus buyouts. E-bay and PartsExpress will have them.

Silver, what was the tuning on the enclosure? Did you go with DD's 40hz recommendation?

Yeah that would a great idea bro...i did that to my old truck.
hmm..i think i might get me some of the bass shackers. How much did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking? I found some for $99 for 2.

BTW any chance of you coming to NY? I live on Long Island..would love to seeit in person:thumbsup:

I got the bass shakes from amazon for 35$ each

Sory I will probably not be going to ny any time soon

I think the shakers are only available now as surplus buyouts. E-bay and PartsExpress will have them.

Silver, what was the tuning on the enclosure? Did you go with DD's 40hz recommendation?

The port was about 20" long witch tunes it to 38 htz i think. box was 10 cu ft.
The next box I build will be smaller and tuned lower

OMG, I can't stand dealing with the wires from my one amp, two subs, my dvd player, and ipod hook up...

If I was to be building that, I would of wound up tied up in wires at the end of the day stuck in the car...

AMAZING JOB!

Either a mad genuius or just mad!

Well I started this project in February of 07 when I got the X
I finished up in Augast
It was allot of hard work, I'm done for the most part, still have some things I want to do like:
-Replace interrior light beige panels with black Leather
-tune stereo with a rta mic
-Build a new subwoofer box with more curves on the corners and flares on the ports using bendable plywood. also so it doesn't hit the back hatch.
-The front fiberglass pods resonate really bad on some songs so I will need to thicken the fiberglass on them.
-led interrior lights

Overall I am very happy with the way it turned out. I love the way it sounds, allot better than I expected.

Will be going to allot of shows with it next summer.

Let me know what you think. ;)

That is incredible! I might have missed this question, but are you one of those people that can see the completed project in your mind before having started it? That is very impressive work! (And I just now learned how to adjust the time on my h/u) :notworthy

That is incredible! I might have missed this question, but are you one of those people that can see the completed project in your mind before having started it? That is very impressive work! (And I just now learned how to adjust the time on my h/u) :notworthy

Yupp pretty much, it all came easy to me, what the killer was just how much time I had to invest in it to get just the way I wanted it. I spent about 7 months working on it, weekends and for 2 hours b4 work every day :mad:

wow, I'm speechless. well, no not really but still, that's a TON of freaking work. I've installed stereos professionally in my past and I must say I never had an undertaking quite that large EVER... lol.
I'm simple these days. My days of what you accomplished are over for sure.
Nice job man. I can appreciate all the work you put into that. High detail.
Would love to hear it sometime after you RTA it.:salute:

wow, I'm speechless. well, no not really but still, that's a TON of freaking work. I've installed stereos professionally in my past and I must say I never had an undertaking quite that large EVER... lol.
I'm simple these days. My days of what you accomplished are over for sure.
Nice job man. I can appreciate all the work you put into that. High detail.
Would love to hear it sometime after you RTA it.:salute:

Yeaa my next install job I wont go as extravegant as I did on this one. Took way too much time. More than I expected. I'm going to be going to allot of shows next spring to test it out for spl ans sql. Shows will be somewhat local like pa nj and de

Yeaa my next install job I wont go as extravegant as I did on this one. Took way too much time. More than I expected. I'm going to be going to allot of shows next spring to test it out for spl ans sql. Shows will be somewhat local like pa nj and de

youll have to tell us what shows you go to cause im from Mass and if i could i would gladly drive to check out all the work you put into this system. mines not nearing as impressive as yours. i can only imagine how good it must sound.

where did u get those 200amp alts????

i need me 1 of them!

where did u get those 200amp alts????

i need me 1 of them!

I got it from ho alternators
http://www.highoutputalternator.com/

200 amp is the biggest you can fit on an explorer without making a custom backet to fit it because lack of depth :(
I would have gotten dual 200 amp alternators if it could like the gm trucks are capable of

I got it from ho alternators
http://www.highoutputalternator.com/

200 amp is the biggest you can fit on an explorer without making a custom backet to fit it because lack of depth :(
I would have gotten dual 200 amp alternators if it could like the gm trucks are capable of

how much did they charge for the 200 amp alt? i want to get one for my ex and i am looking for the best one i can get for the best price.

also, i am kinda stealing your idea of painting the woodgrain on the interior. my ex is the same color as yours and the painted interior looks amazing. sorry to take the idea from you, but it just looks too good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was a professional installer for a number of years; also tore apart a number of cars down to the bare to build a big system and hit some shows. I gotta say, you did a GREAT job! I'm really impressed you had the patience to take so many photos as you went! Say, why did you decide to go with the JL marine amp? I'm planning a system for my explorer this year (nothing like yours) but am looking for a really good SQ amp to run a pari of Eclipse 8062's up front. Again, rock solid job!!!!!!!

Back