OffTrac's 2001 Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OffTrac's 2001 Sport Trac

Figured I'd get a thread started on where I've been and where I'm going with this truck. I bought it last year with 55,000 miles on it, immaculate.

Here's how I got it from the dealership:

4x4
4.10 Gears
Pioneer Audiophile System
Leather
Fog lights
Running boards (removed)
Bed Extender
Power Moonroof
5 spoke cast aluminum wheels
Curt Class III Hitch

002.jpg

019.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

The first modification I made was to add Warrior shackles.

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

Second thing I did was remove the running boards. No pictures.

Then, I found a body lift from a girl on Craigslist. I went to meet her and she had a huge 2wd ST lifted and on 35s. She thought the body lift was going to make it sit too high. I took that problem off her hands for $80. A few months after it sitting in the garage, I got up the nerve to tackle it one weekend.

0704000848.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

Obviously, these tires just weren't going to cut it anymore. Not only were the stock tires just terrible tires, they were too small.

IMG_1564-1.jpg

So, after driving around embarrassed for a week, I got new tires. Cavalier Sport King 265/75R16.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

I was unhappy with the rollerskate look from the rear because of how far inset the rear wheels were in the wheel well. Also, I was still getting some rubbing on the sway bar, even after getting the 265s to avoid rubbing issues. Solution: 1.5" wheel spacers.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

Then, I added a Westin Sportsman brushguard. Got it on eBay, brand new as a shelf model for a shop. It was missing the mounting brackets which didn't matter because I was going to have to fabricate my own for the body lift. $140.

I also took that moment to paint all the cladding as well, since I was going to be cutting into the plastic on the front to get the brush guard and tow hooks on (which I had to lose because of the body lift). I also took the time to twist the torsion bars 1.75" to level the front out.

IMG_2565-1.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2575-1.jpg

IMG_2592-1.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

I was happy with that for a while but had some PIAA 520 driving lights sitting in the attic just waiting for a home. So, a couple weeks ago put me here.

IMG_3212.jpg

Work in progress. Always doing something as money allows. I also have a 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 that competes with time and money. Oh, and a new wife. I have big plans for this truck when it's no longer the DD. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love your truck Offtrac. That green is the best color, so jealous. Couldn't find any green ones around near as nice as the red one.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks guys. Sad to see how long it's been since any big updates. Women like things like houses and children...who knew? I'm definitely enjoying it as is though.

Couple of recent updates that haven't made it to the registry yet. I cut the bumper for better clearance and ability to place the tires a bit better. Also added an RCI front skid plate and a Riddler rear differential cover.

882ea968-867b-412f-867c-447701213a6c_zpsae23c138.jpg

IMG_20130808_172547_020_zps4553b817.jpg

Diff cover seems beefy. Did you wind up painting it yourself?

Diff cover seems beefy. Did you wind up painting it yourself?

It is. Beefy enough to make one handed install a little chore while threading a bolt. I did just paint it. Used Krylon Rust Tough primer and Rust Tough flat black enamel with a few coats of clear.

Hopefully you'll get to put all your new upgrades to use at Durhamtown. The trucks looking better and better.

Hopefully you'll get to put all your new upgrades to use at Durhamtown. The trucks looking better and better.

Thanks. Wish I had sliders before trying the Slippery Nipple trail, but I think these latest upgrades will help. I may not have step bars after Saturday.:eek:

Haha I've found they can hold up a good bit of weight. Before the SAS I was trying to find every limit of the IFS and open/open and my steps did not really enjoy that.

Did this a while ago but never put it on here. I lost a valve stem cap when airing up after the last trip and bought the grenade caps that weren't really what I was hoping for. For some reason, I still wanted to try something other than the standard black caps. I happen to have a few of these laying around and they fit perfectly over the cheap caps from Advance. .40 S&W

IMG_20131004_122733_692_zps44024f7c.jpg

Goes with the green and gold theme that seems to be happening.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, I also put the basket back on top with the spare since I need the bed back now that hunting season has started back. I wasn't so sure I liked the basket up there before but now I'm wondering why I ever removed it. I think I'm going to remove the step bars again tomorrow and maybe I'll get motivated to start on the sliders.

I also removed all the side tupperware and plastidipped the area to cover the holes. I'll update with more on that later.

I like where this "not going to work on it until the 1-tons are under it" is going haha. I really like the caps

Nice cap idea. Now more pictures... LOL

I like where this "not going to work on it until the 1-tons are under it" is going haha. I really like the caps

These aren't work, they're boredom breakers...or school procrastination techniques...or "see honey, I didn't go hunting today" excuses.

Nice cap idea. Now more pictures... LOL

I'll try tomorrow. I hope to be hunting, but I can probably squeeze in a picture or two.

More pictures before I head back to the stand.

Here's the tupperware removed and plastidipped over the holes. Not my permanent solution but it'll do for now. I know it's hard to tell beneath all the dirt but the point is that it isn't obvious. My idea for the holes on the rocker is either the body panel push rivets or zinc colored bolts.

IMG_3688_zps6852bb43.jpg

As she sits now.

IMG_3689_zps2dbdfa7e.jpg

I've been thinking about removing the tupperware for a long time now so it doesn't hold all the road salt and mud, etc... against the rocker panels. if I do it I'll go and plug weld the holesthen bedline the rockers. You have access to a welder, correct? Just and idea.

Yeah, I could weld it but not so sure I wouldn't end up with something uglier than holes.

Nah, just keep the heat low and take your time, let the tacks cool before filling more then grind smooth with a flap disc.

Realized this hasn't been updated in two years. Well, not much has changed to the truck as toys fall way down the list when you are laser focused on starting a family, building a house, advancing careers and finishing graduate school. The truck has dutifully served its purpose the past couple years, putting 4x4 to good use occasionally and no mechanical issues whatsoever. Just over 113k mile on a 15 year old truck. Interior is holding up great with only very minor wear showing on the driver's seat; exterior is beginning to show its age but only on the hood. Cleans up real nice, when I get a chance to wash it. I should be retiring this to full toy status in the spring, further reducing it's mileage accrual and opportunity to do more modification. The reality of my time available and distance from OHV trails is beginning to push me toward coilovers and remaining IFS rather than using that Snofighter D60 front and D70 rear, at least for the foreseeable future. And no, the axles still are not for sale.

New bumper and winch, though.

20150424_134328_zpsgadsgq7p.jpg

Reasons for slow truck progress:

This guy:

Mayes%209%20months-0004_zpsi96lqaql.jpg

And this:

20151009_150614_zpsefm3xirh.jpg

Last edited:

Totally understandable man, I'm in the same boat. Family and responsibilities come first. Good looking kid ya got there man, must take after his mother. LOL

Back