John_Rock's 2001 Sport Trac 4x4 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

John_Rock's 2001 Sport Trac 4x4

Well, I've been an Elite member for probably like two years. I guess it's time to put something in the Elite Registry. So here goes...

Engine: Stock 4.0L (245) SOHC SEFI V-6
Transmission: Stock Ford 5R55E 5 -Speed Automatic Overdrive
Transfer Case: Borg Warner 1354 electric shift - Gear Ratio ? Low ? 2.48:1
Steering: Stock Power, Ford - Rack and Pinion (Includes Steering Cooler) - Ratio 19.1:1 Static
Front Suspension: Superlift 4" lift
Rear Suspension: Spring over axle
Front Axle: Dana35 with a LockRight locker
Rear Axle: Ford 8.8 with a LockRight locker
Communications: Cobra 75 WX ST 40 Channel CB, Wilson 1000 antenna
Recovery Equipment: 60" Hi-Lift jack, 20' looped end tow strap.
Tires/Wheels: Super Swamper TSL/SX on 15x10 American Racing AR-767 wheels
Exterior: Performance Accessories 3" body lift. Gloria Zimmerman Rocksliders.
Interior: Leather seats, power moonroof, power rear window.
Audio: Stock CD/AM/FM radio.
Future Mods: Try to get rid of the rust before it falls apart.

Before Pic
41072001012701.jpg

After Pic
P1020775.jpg

Purchased 6/30/2000. It was 4th of July weekend, and I took her out for some camping and
minor offroading in Big Bend National Park in 110 degree heat. I put my first scratches on her that weekend.
I was just letting her know how hard she would have to work for me.

I bought her fully loaded. I think the only option I didn't have was the audiophile stereo system and of course the hard tonneau cover wasn't available yet.

Big Bend National Park
410700703051.jpg

I pretty much left her stock in appearance for over a year. Thanks to this website I learned about the KKM performance filter and installed it.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So when you gonna SAS it???? Thats some pretty extreme stuff with IFS !

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

When money grows on trees. :)

Seems I always have other things going on. I haven't even had time or money to take it wheeling as it stands. :(

Damn, over 1 year later and I still haven't put the a front axle back in this beast since I put the Superlift on it. As a matter of fact, I pulled the locker out of the front differential and put the axle into my 2000 Limited. So I got my 2000 Limited back to being AWD. I've had some fun in the last few months doing some light wheeling with it as my Facebook friends can attest to the videos I have posted over there. :D

Ok, back to the Sport Trac. It sucks not having 4wd. I almost got her stuck in some soft dirt last weekend while out for a little neighborhood cruise.

CIMG0036.jpg

So, I got a PM from a fellow EF Sport Trac owner asking about what to do in order to replace the stock front drive shaft with another one that won't get worn out.

So I did some searching and found someone's RCD lift thread and discussion of front drive shaft possibilities.

It was discussed that it's best to get a double-cardan front drive shaft from a 1996 v8 AWD Explorer. And then get the Neapco adapter # N2-83-287X to make the double-cardan 4 hole t-case end fit the 6 hole flange on the transfer case.

So I did a quick search on www.car-parts.com and found one at a junkyard just 3 miles from me for $65. I called them to confirm they had one. And then I headed over there to get it.

front drive shaft from a 1996 v8 AWD Explorer
CIMG0133sm.jpg

Doing a Google search on the Neapco part # N2-83-287X led me to a Ranger board discussion thread and learned a couple more things...

Apparently Neapco part # N2-83-288X is an upgraded part that fits both Toyota and Ford. Has extra holes in it for the T-case side to fit either Toyota or Ford.

Another suggestion I found on a Ranger board was to replace your t-case with one that has the non-CV style flange.
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
Zack, go find a manual 1354 from a 91-94 explorer or 1993-1997 ranger. it will bolt up to your truck, and it will have regular yokes not the wierd CV flange.

So my next decision is to either get the Neapco adapter or look for an older manual transfer case to match the double-cardan front drive shaft.

By now some of you are going, so what dude? You still don't have a front axle. But, I do. Actually have two to choose from. I have the original one out of my 2000 Limited AWD and a vacuum disconnect one that I bought some time back. But both of these axles have 3.73 gears and I need 4.10 gears to match my rear 8.8. Ha, but I do have a pair of 4.10 front gears that I purchased years ago from Gerald Jarrett. I just have to decide which axle to put them in. Probably will put them in the vacuum disconnect axle.

Still need to buy new shocks and replace the fuel pump. Always lots to do and not always a lot of money to spend on them. :D But I keep rollin on. :salute:

The reason for the front drive shafts from a v8 AWD Explorer is because they are slightly longer than the front drive shafts in our v6 4x4 Explorers.

You need to put a GD solid axle up front... :)

You need to put a GD solid axle up front... :)
:censored:, you need an Explorer! :mattmoon: RC trucks aren't the same.

I can still do some fun wheeling in this 10 year old IFS POS.
thefinger.gif

Last edited:

I've still got a 4wd truck. :D

You crazy kids... It's been in 4wd more than the explorer ever was in 2009. :D :p:

BTW John, I can't believe those SXs are still alive on the back of that thing!

Too bad you missed boomin's axles with 4.56s. That would have been a nice upgrade.

You crazy kids... It's been in 4wd more than the explorer ever was in 2009. :D :p:

BTW John, I can't believe those SXs are still alive on the back of that thing!
Those aren't the SXs I got from Kris years ago. They are 14.5" wide SXs I got from Justin Klare a couple years back. I may need to change those out. They are a little smaller in diameter than the new BFGs.

So when are you bringing the F-150 out to Comanche Ridge???

Thanks to the generous Mr. Turdle, I have custom built adapter made for a Toyota flange. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CIMG0150.jpg

Last edited:

...It's not powder coated...:shifty_ey ..Send it back...:p:

I knew I was forgetting something--

Well...

I ended up not using the specialized adapter that Turdle sent me. That one off adapter was made for a Toyota drive shaft. And after talking to a local drive shaft place, it sounded like adapting a Toyota drive shaft was more of a PITA than getting the Neapco N2-83-287X adapter. Which, btw, that local drive shaft shop had one in stock.

So I had them install the Neapco N2-83-287X adapter, the necessary 1310 CV socket yoke, 2 new U-joints, and shortened the shaft by about 1.25 inches. The new/used/rebuilt drive shaft measured at 31 inches from transfer case flange to the end of the U-joint cap on the differential end.

37585_136882259665606_100000314975405_258523_3166825_n.jpg

Certainly not a five minute install anymore...

37758_136906206329878_100000314975405_258593_8046166_n.jpg

It really helped to remove the transfer case skid place. But as rust would have it, two of the bolts holding it on would not come off with the impact wrench. They had to be cut off with my sawzall. :p:

After being 2wd for over one year, she's back to being 4x4 capable... :party::chug::party::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Of course the fun never ends...

Here's some of my TODO list...

• Replace fuel pump
  • Replace all the shocks.
  • Replace the rear leaf springs.
  • Replace the rear window motor.

...Congrats on getting it together...:biggthump

...I know all about your current to do list as I am suffering from similar situations that are keeping my from proceding forward...One after another and it never ends...:D

Back