chop top 1 ton ex. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chop top 1 ton ex.

you cannot remove the torsion bar, it is what holds the vehicle up. if you pull it out the suspension will compress down to the bumpstops and have zero travel.

I think he's referring to the rear swaybar. You can remove that and not have any problems at all. In the future though, it's best to either post a question like that in a thread of a related topic, or start a new one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think he's referring to the rear swaybar. You can remove that and not have any problems at all. In the future though, it's best to either post a question like that in a thread of a related topic, or start a new one.

Sorry mounty71
yes i referring to the rear swaybar.
I'll make a thread

- :exp::exp: -

nice job, love the look of that front-end. those lights look sick! subscribed...

update?? you got me wanting to chop up my x!

sorry i havent got much of anything done....

we discovered my sepdaughter had a tumor near her vocal cords, she had surgury last week and they got most of it but it will most likely going to come back twice as strong so she will be having surgury every few months for many years to come. its hard to watch a 3 year old go through this. its killed all my motivation so ive just been spending time with my family.

sometimes life just throws you a wrench in the spokes to make sure you have your priorities straight.

hopefully i can get back to work before long but surgury isnt cheap and we dont make alot of money so things will be slow for a while.

the little one is more important, the X can wait.

86-my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Lets hope for a speedy recovery.

thanks guys we appreciate it, went back in for a check up the other day and its looking better though she is going in for another surgery dec.1st.

but i do have sort of an update but not on the chop top ex., my wifes cavalier died a few weeks ago and i decided i was done working on the POS so we started looking for something different.

came across this and we brought it home today.
10e83f18.jpg

its a 96 EB 5.0 AWD, has alot of miles at 209.x.. but drives nice the only problem is the chain in the tcase is stretched so it pops when on accel but should be an easy fix.

its pretty clean for its age, even had the factory ford car phone still in the center console! i have to say thats one thing i never knew existed.
081ac936.jpg

paid $2K for it and drove it 2.5 hours home today.

Another truck very nice thing you found . repair should not pose too many problems.
phone I too am surprised it is certainly an option special catalog FORD.
Good luck and good road with your new truck
Hello to all your loved ones
;)

- :exp::exp: -

Hey buddy, you and your family are in our thoughts. The Ex can wait, take care of what's important.

wow!

nice find! I wonder if the phone still can be hooked up to service and if you can use it while driving since it was an option installed by Ford.

good to hear the check up was a good one!

wow!

nice find! I wonder if the phone still can be hooked up to service and if you can use it while driving since it was an option installed by Ford.

good to hear the check up was a good one!

im not sure, i turned it on yesterday and it plays through the car speakers and has a mic on the driver side a pillar. it says no service on the screen and i have no clue about how to get service on it. i would do it if could just because :D

thanks guys. doing a little work on this one has given me a little motivation to get back in the garage on the chop top. so ill try and get some time in this week between getting off work and the rest of the family coming home.

man is at rest :smoke: :) ;)

-:exp::exp:

hey guys sorry its been a while, times have been hectic with a 3 year old and a new baby.

but im finally getting back to work on the explorer, this last weekend to get my motivation going again i decided i wanted to do a little tube work. i didnt have many places i could start on yet so i figured the front bumper would work.

i was having a hard time deciding how to mount the 8274 and its a very awkward shape and unlike most winches it bolts on the front instead of the bottom.

ill let the pictures do the talking.
5f70abf2.jpg

3fdb94b0.jpg

1b5f5988.jpg

3664ffdc.jpg

4c3dd795.jpg

f17953e5.jpg

8076e67f.jpg

e96fc404.jpg

9d55aa6d.jpg

544b0a72.jpg

cfeb126e.jpg

d6667c2b.jpg

a656694d.jpg

5c720694.jpg

867f63ec.jpg

still needs a few gussets and a synthetic rope with an aluminum fairlead. it deffinantly jump started the motivation again and as soon as i get the shop re arranged and cleaned ill be on to more work.

OK, your comments to miss a lot, congratulations to your wife and yourself for the baby :)
To return to the truck good work , the winch is still quite high but it will give you more work, why not cut and weld for support a little more low this is is possible or not , it will force you to redo the facade, I can not wait to see all this

~ Dominik :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted everything tucked up high on the front, I found my last front bumPer limited me on a few ledges and bigger rocks because I was hitting the tubes.

With much bigger tires, axle moved foreward several inches and everything tucked up tight it should be alot better this time around

Back