Moab 2006 Chat Thread | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2006 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BKennedy said:
I have the entire week prior to this event scheduled as vacation, so I would like to get there earlier in the week. Its a long drive for just a weekend.

My schedule will probably allow that. I'm drving a LONG way and would prefer to add a day or so of wheeling to my schedule if I'm going to take the trouble to travel that far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what would be a good little easy run for someone getting there Friday evening just to get there feet wet???

More time?

I'll probably arrive day or to early as well. I'm still scheduling time off for other stuff during the summer months, so I'm getting creative on the planning for this. Not sure how much time my wife can get off work.

But, if there is anyway I can get there early I will.

I want to hit Top of the World again and see if it's still as great a view as I remember it being. I'll pass on Potato (E) Salid Hill for now and I'll leave Ozzy off of the IPOD, so I'm not tempted to trash any metal.

Rob

Trail Leader...

I'll be happy to follow Gerald again.

Here are a few memories from the past...

Attachments

• Big Dawg.jpg
    Big Dawg.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 164

I could probably schedule either arriving early or staying late so it's up to what you other guys can work around.

Perry said:
what would be a good little easy run for someone getting there Friday evening just to get there feet wet???

Perry, the only close/easy/relatively short runs I can think of off of the top of my head would probably be Gemini Bridges - or going up a level in difficulty, you could run Fins 'N Things because you can bail out of it in several places and shorten the run if you want to.

There's other runs - Hurrah Pass, Picture Frame Arch, and Pritchett Arch come to mind - but they are mostly dirt roads. You might look into those, depending on what you're after.

GJarrett said:
Perry, the only close/easy/relatively short runs I can think of off of the top of my head would probably be Gemini Bridges
The last time we were there we did Gemini Bridges and that was fun. Maybe we could just go thru canyon Lands since we've never seen that.

Depending on how many people end up showing up we may want to divide the "big dawg" group into 2 or 3 smaller groups so we can get through the trails faster. Where do we get that book with all the trails from? Isn't there a place to buy it that supports this site?

Are there any people on here interested in tking on make lower helderado or some of the more extreme trails in there area. There is also area BFE that is supposed to have alot of hard trails in it. Although it is a pay to play place.

RockRanger said:
Although it is a pay to play place.

Speaking of pay to play. I heard somewhere that Moab Rim is now pay to play... Any info on that?

Gofast said:
....and I'll leave Ozzy off of the IPOD, so I'm not tempted to trash any metal.

Rob

Oh man, everytime I've run Steelbender since then, I can't get "Crazy Train" out of my head, LOL.

GJarrett said:
Oh man, everytime I've run Steelbender since then, I can't get "Crazy Train" out of my head, LOL.
You mean someone will play OZZY for me, SWEEEEET!!!!

I know I'll never play Alan Parson's "When I break down" while wheeling again! Last time I did I put a massive dent in my rim just as he said that line:D

410Fortune said:
Last time I was there it was Gerrald with his IFS that was way out in the lead on the runs :)
Maybe that is where his "Nerves of steel, Brain of a Chipmunk" slogan comes into play?? :confused: :eek: :p ;)

Well, I used to sort of walk away from the rest of the group, but that was nothing compared to Rick now - jeez, he gets an SAS and big tires and nowadays he just cruises through beachball-sized boulder fields in 3rd gear :rolleyes: :D

Brian and Rob, how much sooner were you thinking of showing up? Last year I wanted to take a separate 2-day run through the Hole in the Rock trail south of Moab, but I missed Moab last year. I'd love to plan it and try again this time, but there's no way I'd go on that adventure alone. Here's a couple of links about it; the second one describes the trailhead as being between Blanding and Halls Crossing which would put it a full 150 miles southwest of Moab - but that might be on the way to Moab for Brian.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyn...m/ppmay96.htm
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyn...els/hole.html

As an alternative, a close-to-town trail I've thought about is Lockhart Basin - it looks like it could take over a day with a camp on the trail (and it ends right by Elephant Hill, one of the funnest runs in the Moab area). Or I could IFS the trail and we'd finish in a day easy :D

Gofast said:
I'll be happy to follow Gerald again.

Here are a few memories from the past...

Good Lordy, Herc sure looks stock in that photo :)

Well, I have to convince the wife that its okay to take Sarah out of school for a week to make this trip worth wile. This could take awhile......... :rolleyes:

BKennedy said:
Well, I have to convince the wife that its okay to take Sarah out of school for a week to make this trip worth wile. This could take awhile......... :rolleyes:
The last time we went to Moab PWSX4 had to miss his last two days of school but he would rather go to moab then school.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to run Golden Spike again!
X3-vi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back