• Register Today It's free!

SAS Gear Grinding

Jeeps Rule

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Rubicon
:feedback: Just a feeler, but how does every1 that does SAS swaps take the time and energy to go through the long and exspensive process of changing from a IFS to a SAS, when a Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a $500 bolt on lift, will get about the same wheeling unit.

I've actually had 3 Explorers, a '94 XLT, a '97 EB, and a '98 Limited. I know, the Rubicon is like cheating, and not in the same class, but something just grind my gears about this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a side note, i do admire the people who want to be unique or just like the look and feel of an explorer, but this is more in line for those who are just looking for a woods unit.

brand loyalty? according to my cousin there are many makes of cars: Ford, ford, ford, ford, and ford. just to name a few. and some people like to work on thier cars, and the sucessfull result is the sweet taste of victory.

also you got to realize that its not always a long and expensive swap. some people know what they are doing exactely and also have a "hook up" for the axles. sometimes it can be expensive but the vehicle is going to be a one of a kind....

Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a $500 bolt on lift, will get about the same wheeling unit.

That's what I did with a wrangler, but only because I don't have any fabrication skills at all. When you really think about it, a SAS consists of what...an axle, gears, steering setup, and typically leaf springs. The 8.8 out back is already pretty stout, if a little narrow. Assuming someone can do all the fab work themselves, and source cheap parts from a junkyard, doing a SAS can be cheaper than buying another vehicle. Also, as you mentioned, there is the uniqueness factor and most people on this forum love their explorers.

Nice first post from a Jeep owner on a Ford site... :rolleyes:

A $500 lift on an explorer would make the same wheeling rig as a $500 lift on a cherokee.

Why do Jeepers put the 8.8 in the rear of their rigs? Why would we want a stronger axle up front than what we have? Why do people troll websites? Why do we put suits in garment bags and garments in suitcases? What if the letters C, A and T really spelled dog?

A $500 lift on an explorer would make the same wheeling rig as a $500 lift on a cherokee.

Why do Jeepers put the 8.8 in the rear of their rigs? Why would we want a stronger axle up front than what we have? Why do people troll websites? Why do we put suits in garment bags and garments in suitcases? What if the letters C, A and T really spelled dog?

Actually, I know the guy. He owns a Hyundai Tiburon (Spelling?). He wants to get a jeep though. :crazy:

From my very limited experience, maybe about 70% of the rigs on the trail are Jeeps. So by popularity, they do in fact "rule" the imediate territory. And maybe 70% of that 70% are probably red Wranglers. So to sum up, red Wranglers rule to the second power!
graphics%5Cred%20jeep%20pic.jpg

From my very limited experience, maybe about 70% of the rigs on the trail are Jeeps. So by popularity, they do in fact "rule" the imediate territory. And maybe 70% of that 70% are probably red Wranglers. So to sum up, red Wranglers rule to the second power!
graphics%5Cred%20jeep%20pic.jpg

Mine's black :(

becuase we like frames......

What suspension bolt on lift will get you 4.5 inches for $500 on an explorer?

How about "because we can" for an answer. Maybe an "out of the box" kit is just a little to....generic for some people. Isn't Heep Owned Fiat or some Chinese company now? Shouldn't you be on an import tunner site?

Hmm, nice post, you don't appear to be here to stir any crap up.

Grand Cherokee- an nice vehicle BUT also has it's weak spots
1) no frame
2) needs a slip-yoke eliminator on the output shaft
3) has a Dana30/35 axle combo

And what $500 lift kit is available for a ZJ? Even a short arm kit is going to run you more than that?

Hmm, nice post, you don't appear to be here to stir any crap up.

Grand Cherokee- an nice vehicle BUT also has it's weak spots
1) no frame
2) needs a slip-yoke eliminator on the output shaft
3) has a Dana30/35 axle combo

And what $500 lift kit is available for a ZJ? Even a short arm kit is going to run you more than that?

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_wj_4.html

How about "because we can" for an answer. Maybe an "out of the box" kit is just a little to....generic for some people. Isn't Heep Owned Fiat or some Chinese company now? Shouldn't you be on an import tunner site?

I usually am on the "tunner" site www.nasioc.com

Actually a very good site about subarus. I had an 02 wrx for several years, that i had modded pretty well, but sold it for something new. Death was too close too many times. i'm not here to stir anything up, it was simply a thread to see some good starter points for explorers. Like i said, i've had 3, so i'm not out to disrespect, i'd be disrespecting myself. Kinda choosing a new project, and picking a Grand, or another 5.0 explorer.

"tunner" sites such as nasioc, have lots to offer to learn, things i wish i would have known when i had my explorer.

Bolt on seems to me to be more dependable for a starting platform. then to go redic after a functional unit is already playing.

correct me if I'm wrong, but that will require a $200 SYE kit to make it road worthy.

So are you just here asking this question or also on chevy blazer, Isuzu Trooper, Nissan Pathfinder, Dodge Durango forums trying to state that jeeps rule?
*Edit- I see your last post. Are you looking to get rid of the '07 Rubicon in your next purchase? What are the plans for the new truck?

Pride.

correct me if I'm wrong, but that will require a $200 SYE kit to make it road worthy.

So are you just here asking this question or also on chevy blazer, Isuzu Trooper, Nissan Pathfinder, Dodge Durango forums trying to state that jeeps rule?
*Edit- I see your last post. Are you looking to get rid of the '07 Rubicon in your next purchase? What are the plans for the new truck?

the rubicon is on lease, and it kills me to not be able to take it wheeling, like i'd like to.

I had a buddy that had a 97 Grand with a 360 block, crank, pistons, heads, ignition.. blah blah.. fun for drags and screwing with people in the local "cruising" scene. I've alwasy wanted to try the same situation with the 5.0. Wheeling is safer and fun and friends can come too. So now i'm doing research on the SAS, due to more flex, and less breakable parts.

Not sure about the SYE kit actually, ive been reading up on certain transfercases and such to avoid trouble and what will last and what wont.

...I am curious why original poster titled this, "SAS Gear Grinding"..:scratch:

...And why can't you open the doors on a Cherokee when you flex it???...:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I am curious why original poster titled this, "SAS Gear Grinding"..:scratch:

...And why can't you open the doors on a Cherokee when you flex it???...:(

Quote from Family Guy "you know what really grinds my gears" Relating to my tough time picking between the Grand Cherokee and an explorer.

who said anything about the jeep having doors.. this is gonna be a strict wheeling unit. trailered from place to place

Back