PLAN B Build | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@donalds as nice enough to donate a SOHC engine cover to the Build. So of course I had to paint it:cool2:

152358-73ca6326b1ae29a895cd39320e597aa1.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Happy it got there with no damage I tried to use some bubble wrap and foam to keep it from breaking btw the paint looks good :)

So I actually worked on the Navajo a bit today. Cleaned up the wiring under the hood, and went back to the transmission. I think I finally figured out why I can't get the torque converter seated all the way. I found a youtube video about the input shaft gets misaligned and you need to pull the bell housing to realign it. I Should then gain the 3/4" I'm missing, and be good to go. I'll report back once I try this.

So I actually worked on the Navajo a bit today. Cleaned up the wiring under the hood, and went back to the transmission. I think I finally figured out why I can't get the torque converter seated all the way. I found a youtube video about the input shaft gets misaligned and you need to pull the bell housing to realign it. I Should then gain the 3/4" I'm missing, and be good to go. I'll report back once I try this.

I haven't looked yet, but are any of the videos or how to tips mentioning turning the trans on end to install the pump or input shaft, or TC?

I haven't looked yet, but are any of the videos or how to tips mentioning turning the trans on end to install the pump or input shaft, or TC?

I actually tried this, and still could not get it to seat. This is why I started digging for more info, because I knew something was off.:shifty:

Confirmed! It totally worked! Pulled the bell housing, reseated the input shaft, bolted back together, and the torque converter seats all the way now. Took 5 min's:bounce:

Yeeyeee

Well almost exactly a year after the entire drivetrain was ripped out, a full drivetrain is back in place.

We started with a Hydrolocked '91 4.0 ohv/5-speed Manual/1354 Auto

And now we have a full OBD2 '00 4.0 SOHC/ 5R55E /1354 Manual.

:dpchug:

To do list
  • Finish Dash wiring
  • Shift cable
  • Custom power steering hose
  • Install exhaust
  • Fluids
  • Put interior back in

Wow...it's actually close to turning the key:eek:

Few other minor things to deal with, but really just focused on starting it up and it moving back under it's own power.

Awesome! It's getting there!

People ask me about this car all the time.

friggin beast of a rig man!!!

:dpchug:

Looks like you have about the same clearance I do at the garage door :D

You guys need my garage, but with a new(taller) garage door. I graze my head on my door if I'm not watching, it's sagged a bit from weak springs, so it needs some work.

But I have 10'7" ceilings, so a taller door could fit.

• Floor Shifter installed and shifting.
  • Exhaust (pre muffler) installed.
  • O2 sensors all back in
  • 1354 manual shifter installed and shifting.
  • Starter back in
Just need work on the wiring in the dash area, put fluids in it and we're ready to turn the key.

So hopefully in the next week.:bounce:

Driving is still a little farther off, as need to finish the interior.

I realized today I never hooked up the filler neck to the gas tank. Luckily I didn't try to put gas in it yet:laugh:

I thought I was done with the rear of the truck, but apparently I need to swap out the filler neck to the 2nd gen, as the 1st gen is A: too short and B: bigger hose.

Glad you caught that. That would have been just a tad embarrassing.:laugh:

Today was the day.....almost:dunno: Wawa...

Got the fuel filer lines connected, trans filter changed and filled the trans, figured out radiator hoses, got the evap system set up, only thing under the hood not done is I haven't figured out the intake, but that's minor.

Anyway, so gave her power today, and the power windows go up and down, power door locks work, power mirrors work,, turning indicators, and hazards work, and...wait for it .......engine cranks! But no start:( Now I really wasn't expecting it to start as there's no fuel in it yet, but I was trying to what was going to happen electrically, as I kind of anticipated there would be a issue. You don't hear the fuel pump, So I plugged in Forscan, now that the Navajo is on OBD2:thumbsup:. Looks like an issue with PATS, which would explain the fuel pump.

So my next question is for anyone who know PATS @410Fortune is the antenna matched to the code, or is it simply just a antenna? I kinda broke the original, and picked up a few at the JY, but not sure if that is part of the issue. Just need to figure out if that part of the problem or not. The theft light is goes off, it doesn't blink like if it had a key with no chip.

the halo on the ignition is just a halo, it is not programmed to match
The only things that match are the key and the pats module, those two are good then they tell the PCM its okay to fire

So the key, the pats module and the pcm must come from the same donor vehicle and be installed correctly. the halo is just an antenna like you guessed
A broken halo = no pats no worky

That fragile part on the key cylinder has to be in the original location. It can have the mounting tab broken and you can simply RTV it back in place, mine did that in about 2005. If the THEFT light is coming on and not flashing before the cranking, the PATS should be working.

Back