PLAN B Build | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Progress!

936F402E-D90B-477C-B4EE-3599BCD42AD8.jpeg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

But it was the easiest wiring project to do on the Navajo, and I needed a win. So I'll take it.

I know that feeling! :laugh:

Progress is still being made here.;)

• Air intake is complete, hood closes and no more CEL
  • HVAC dash lines are run, HVAC blows air
  • Dash is 90% back in
  • Interior dash lighting all working, cluster, HVAC, floor shifter, door switchs.
Spy photo🤫

index.php

Little bit at a time...

Got the over drive button on the shifter working tonight. Minus a done light, the interior wiring should be complete.

Only things left to do is...
  • put the rest of the exhaust back on
  • Bolt the dash in, and install interior trim.
  • Seatbelts need get put back in
  • Trim front fenders, and reinstall the front end
  • Weld in hood pins
  • Move the battery to the cargo area
  • Swap out the rear carrier (needed for speedo)
  • Front turning indicators
I think that's pretty much it other than a few other things like bumpers. Reinstall front driveshaft, skid plates..etc.

Oh...I should probably put a windshield back in it, and I still need to relocate the Computer.

:hammer:

Yes but the real question is do you really need a windshield lmao:)

Windshield, what mirror do you have to put in it? If you use the 1st gen mirrors, it needs a matching mirror mount, the 1st gen windshield will come with that.

I used my old 93 mirror in my 99, I didn't have the newer one and I liked the old one. The old type use a set screw to tighten the mirrors, in the 2nd gens on, those just press on with pressure, there is no tightening device. You just have to press harder down on the mirror to tighten it, which is slightly risky.

My mirror fell off then fell off again
I ordered a suction cup mirror

Well the Navajo came with a Skull mirror, and that's not going back in. 💀

I was thinking of her a fancy aftermarket one with Android auto and a camera built in....but we'll see.

Aww no more pirate theme?

I use a rear view mirror that has front and back camera's with picture in picture and it is also a very nice 9" long mirror you can use when the screen is on or off. It takes some getting used to but they are so good I put them in all of our trucks. They are also a recording device with a motion sensor that can play the video back for you...so lets say your in the store and some A hole slams into your front bumper the camera will come on and start recording, then when the cops show up you can take the mirror out of the car and go play the video back for them.
You can use up to a 4TB memory card in them and it will just keep recording in a loop. If an accident happens front or back it will be captured on film.

They are like $90 each too so not gonna kill your budget

This is what I run, they keep changing the name, it used to be called the "zeroedge" mirror

Is has rubber bands that strap over your stock mirror so its really easy to mount and un mount
I love these things, can you tell?

They have all sorts of them now on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZF9FK6...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

In the excursion

img_8265-jpg.144049

img_8266-jpg.144057

How do those cameras hold up on the off-road rig? I had a reverse camera on the Explorer and it only lasted one run before failing.

I think my biggest issue, is the mirror has to look just like a normal mirror, as with a open cab... security becomes a issue.

ah yes, the old leave the vehicle unlock to protect the more expensive soft top..

I always put junk radios in to the zuk. Never got bothered.. and never left anything in it of value.

You should look to see if any of the under-seat lock boxes for Jeeps fit, or the lock able consoles.

ah yes, the old leave the vehicle unlock to protect the more expensive soft top..

I always put junk radios in to the zuk. Never got bothered.. and never left anything in it of value.

You should look to see if any of the under-seat lock boxes for Jeeps fit, or the lock able consoles.

The glove box locks;)

But yes, I was going to put a nice stereo in, and decided I have 3 old single din's sitting on the shelf. Mite as well do something with them. So my old Pioneer from JP, is going in it.

Maybe I'll spend more money on a communication radio with Bluetooth.

I do plan on making the cargo area into a lockable trunk. The plan was to use the rear window latch, as part of the lock system. I'll have to go back and look at this later.

mirror holds up great, I put the same zero edge unit in the excursion, F350, FJ cruiser and I have one for the BII but have not installed yet. They are all still working fine, the one in the FJ has been there for 3-4 years now?
I do not think they are a high value item that will get stolen I mean they are under $100 and if they steal the mirror they would still need the rear camera and power supply cable. Because it mounts with rubber bands it can be removed in 60 seconds if you park in an area where it would be a concern.

Forget a radio with bluetooth just get a bluetooth amp and your phone becomes your head unit
Or use a simple bluetooth controller like made for boats and UTV's:

https://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-Weatherproof-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00MH5CG2Q

81x5-KORrKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So as I slowly finish random things still left to do, I got a killer deal on a YJ - TJ winch plate ($27) and decided to start playing with bumpers. I got the winch plate mounts tacked on place. I'm integrating the original tube bumper that came with the Navajo, as it will be lighter and gotta use what you got in the quarantine world we live in now.

20200418_190317.jpg

20200418_193852.jpg

All tacked together... Just need to add some side braces.

20200419_141529.jpg

20200419_161144.jpg

20200419_161238.jpg

any way to make the scoop function?
That thing is gonna scoot with the sohc under the hood......
nice work on the bumper! What did you paint it with?

Good looking engine bay

Back