Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

My turn

Looks like I cracked my rear cargo area floor as well. Not under warranty as I'm around 96,000 miles. Does anyone know the correct part number?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like I cracked my rear cargo area floor as well. Not under warranty as I'm around 96,000 miles. Does anyone know the correct part number?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Have you checked out post 152?

Peter

Thanks Peterk9. I did check out that part number but it isn't the part for what my problem is. My issue looks just like post #5 . It is the cargo board that gets folded up when the seats are upright.

Is Ford covering under warranty

I have a 2015 Explorer XLT.
So far I have begun to question my decision to go back to Ford products.
I have owned my Explorer for 16 months (15,000 miles) and already have had to take it in for repair of interior parts 3 times.
-The interior drivers door panel trim lifted off of the plastic frame. Door panel had to be replaced.
-The rubber seal between the front and rear door split on both passenger and drivers door. Had to be replaced.
- The interior passenger panel did the same thing as drivers door.
Fortunately Ford covered these items.

Now you can add me to the list of people that have broken the back panel of the third row seat. I was crawling around with the seats folded down and CRACK. I couldn't believe it. I actually thought I was the only one.. But by reading through this entire post, FORD has known this is a problem for years..
Anyway, enough complaining..

Does anyone know if Ford is covering this item under warranty? I can only imagine the amount of hassle this is going to be.

Thanks
Mark

I have a 2015 Explorer XLT.
So far I have begun to question my decision to go back to Ford products.
I have owned my Explorer for 16 months (15,000 miles) and already have had to take it in for repair of interior parts 3 times.
-The interior drivers door panel trim lifted off of the plastic frame. Door panel had to be replaced.
-The rubber seal between the front and rear door split on both passenger and drivers door. Had to be replaced.
- The interior passenger panel did the same thing as drivers door.
Fortunately Ford covered these items.

Now you can add me to the list of people that have broken the back panel of the third row seat. I was crawling around with the seats folded down and CRACK. I couldn't believe it. I actually thought I was the only one.. But by reading through this entire post, FORD has known this is a problem for years..
Anyway, enough complaining..

Does anyone know if Ford is covering this item under warranty? I can only imagine the amount of hassle this is going to be.

Thanks
Mark
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I only went back a couple of pages and saw that some have had this covered under their warranty. Best thing to do is take it to the dealership and see what they say. There was a supposed change made to the board being used for the seat back a few years ago.

Peter

I finally made to my local Ford dealer this morning.
I showed the service advisor the broken seat back. His first response was "Ford will not cover something like this".
He only agreed to submit it after I insisted that he file a warranty claim.
Not holding out too much hope on this one.
I checked with the parts department, this part retails for $276.00.

Seat back cracks

I ended up calling the Ford Customer Service number I found here and opened a case with them. I called my Ford service guy and gave him the case number, he said he would send out the pictures right away.. Now why couldn't he have called Ford 4 weeks ago when I spoke to him? Isn't it his job? I love my Explorer Sport! I am not liking Mahwah Ford service.. Count down is on about 65 days to return my lease.. Do I buy it out? Return it for a new 2016? Not sure, Durango? I had a 2005 V8.. Ahhhh, maybe I just suck it up... Happy Easter!

So here is the end of this saga.. I worked it out with FORD corporate customer service. Even though my Explorer was under warranty they would not cover it( not really sure why ). They(corporate warranty department) looked at the pictures that the Ford dealer sent them and made a determination from that.. Dog hair?(LOL) I guess something could be determined from the pictures?? The way it cracked? My dog needs to go on a diet for sure! Anyway, since it wasn't under warranty and I service my vehicle at Ford( a good customer ) they made a lease payment for me! Which if you ask me is probably more than it would take to fix the seats.. So restoring my faith in Ford( yes, I can be bought!) I sold my lease back to the Ford dealer(correct..SOLD) and picked up another Blk/Blk Explorer Sport(2016). My 2013 Explorer Sport held it's value and is in demand, the dealer valued it around 32k, which gave me a nice down payment on the 2016. Most people just drop off their lease and plop more money down for a new one. I had called the leasing department to see if I could extend, they said no and we chatted a little about my Explorer and the nice lady said make sure you check the value of you vehicle with the dealer before you sign it over. She went on to explain that the Explorer is a hot used vehicle at this time and it would be beneficial for me to check the value. So I did, I owed 26K and they valued it at 32K, I did not get the full value(they have to make some cash too), but it was enough for me to get a few more options then I had before for relatively the same payment and very little down.. By the way I did fix the broken seat backs..

I finally made to my local Ford dealer this morning.
I showed the service advisor the broken seat back. His first response was "Ford will not cover something like this".
He only agreed to submit it after I insisted that he file a warranty claim.
Not holding out too much hope on this one.
I checked with the parts department, this part retails for $276.00.

Call 800-392-FORD and open a case with the warranty department explain to them that you don't carry heavy stuff back there and see where it leads. The seat that you have are the newer reinforced seatback so it will be difficult to convince them, but there is definitely a design flaw.. Good luck..

Has anyone found anything out about this issue. My 9 yr old who weighs 80lbs TOPS! Was sitting in the back of my 2013 Explorer last night and the passenger side piece of the my 3rd row seat broke in half. Am I going to have to replace the whole 3rd row seat or is there a way to just replace that piece? Help Please!!

Has anyone found anything out about this issue. My 9 yr old who weighs 80lbs TOPS! Was sitting in the back of my 2013 Explorer last night and the passenger side piece of the my 3rd row seat broke in half. Am I going to have to replace the whole 3rd row seat or is there a way to just replace that piece? Help Please!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe it can be fixed without having to get a new seat. I think there is a post in this thread where a dealer fixed it.

Peter

After seeing this thread i went out to my car as one of my seats had a little extra give to it and sure enough there is a crack about 1/3 of the way through the panel. Took it to the dealer and they were not able to look up any SSM related to the number that was given in this thread. They also said it was a $650 part as the whole seat would need to be replaced and warranty would not cover it. I'm still covered by the CPO 12 month 12K mile warranty. Need some help from the ford customer service team on this forum to get this resolved.

After seeing this thread i went out to my car as one of my seats had a little extra give to it and sure enough there is a crack about 1/3 of the way through the panel. Took it to the dealer and they were not able to look up any SSM related to the number that was given in this thread. They also said it was a $650 part as the whole seat would need to be replaced and warranty would not cover it. I'm still covered by the CPO 12 month 12K mile warranty. Need some help from the ford customer service team on this forum to get this resolved.
I suggest that you contact FordService directly;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Mine was like that when I bought it used4 months ago found a replacement on eBay $ 215 for it

Mine was like that when I bought it used4 months ago found a replacement on eBay $ 215 for it
Any way someone could just take the old one out and cut a piece of plywood to match it and inset that as the seat back? I don't know what these seat backs look like so I was just wondering about a DIY fix.

Peter

I fixed mine with inserting 2 proper diameter steel rods from Home Depot thru the channels in the seat back on the outer edges as I mentioned earlier, its stronger than factory. I also made a plywood deck that covers the rear seat backs up to the second row and cut up a large mat to fit on top.
Warranty affects the deal negatively, If they refuse talk to the manager of the service department, if they refuse talk to ford customer relations directly.

Those cargo seat backs are the one thing that drives me nuts about my Explorer. Yes, with weight distributed you can load up the trunk without worry, but it doesn't take a genius to feel the bed with a firm hand and tell that a concentrated point of pressure can easily damage the panels - they feel like a firm cardboard even in the 2016. From the factory my seat backs are warped a bit. It's frustrating considering the car was over $50k and it does take away some of the utility in SUV.

Does anyone know the part number for this piece? Dealership has no clue and is trying to say its part of the seat which costs $650.

Does anyone know the part number for this piece? Dealership has no clue and is trying to say its part of the seat which costs $650.
Same question was asked on previous page with limited response.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should be a easy answer for the ones that have had it fixed. They list the parts right on the service ticket.

Back