FROADER's 2010 XLT | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FROADER's 2010 XLT

The wife and I picked this up last night. We traded in the F-150 for a more practical family car and something that Michelle would be comfortable driving (I drive her 4cyl Camry to work [40mi. one way] every day). The truck was just too big for her. The crazy thing is having a monthly payment of $180/mo is going to save me money (gas, insurance) from owning the F-150 outright.

SPECS:
Bone stock 2010 XLT
black/black & tan
4.0 - (I wanted the v8 but I'm happy with the 6)
4x4
Brand new Kumho Adventurers.
3rd row seats

The mods will be on hold for quite a while except I'm going to take the emblems off the back.

DSC_0564.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

Wesley already has more stuff in it than either of us.

DSC_0559.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

Attachments

• Door_Sticker.jpg
    Door_Sticker.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,083

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

....and the vibration????

....and the vibration????

Unfortunately, not fixed. But... Since they told me it was the tires, needed new ones, and it didn't fix the problem, I'm going to try my best to get them to pay for them. If they didn't tell me I needed new ones, I wouldn't have spent the money to get them. I know, fat chance, but I'm sure going to raise some hell. They sure are nice, quiet and ride smooth.

Maybe it your ball joints on the r&p. Or a warped rotor..

It's something they did in the back. it's either u-joints, somehow they knocked the drive shaft out of whack, or the driveshaft is mounted 180° from how it's supposed to be. I'll be calling the dude at about 3:30 to let him know.

Doesn't it suck when you can't even bring your DD in for service without drama??:banghead:

Best of luck chasing down the problem.

Doesn't it suck when you can't even bring your DD in for service without drama??:banghead:

Best of luck chasing down the problem.

It's ridiculous. I drive 80 miles a day and having the vibe which they could probably fix with ease, has now been 3 weeks and cost me new tires. I actually love the tires, but I would have waited until mine were done to get them.

So, I dorpped it off this morning and told them the tires they recommended didn't fix the problem. I also told them to not call me about anything until it's fixed. And change the oil! :)

They gave me a comparable loaner this time, though. :thumbsup:

Guessing it's an '08 (build date of 11/07) and it's got a moonroof and a hitch. It will be like driving my own car, minus the nicer stereo. The best part is I can tell them to drive their own loaner for a comparison of how mine is supposed to feel...

photo-5.jpg

"Drive it like you stole it"

;)

Thanks for getting the tires (even though you didn't need them). We're starving to death out here! :D

No problem James. Glad I could put some food on your table. :)

So they just told me it is an axle flange and a drive shaft weight... Tried to charge me another $250 deductible on my extended warranty and told them to go ahead and suck it. So it's getting fixed and hopefully I'll have my truck back tomorrow or Wednesday.

No problem James. Glad I could put some food on your table. :)

So they just told me it is an axle flange and a drive shaft weight... Tried to charge me another $250 deductible on my extended warranty and told them to go ahead and suck it. So it's getting fixed and hopefully I'll have my truck back tomorrow or Wednesday.

Did that solve the problem?

asull85 said:
Did that solve the problem?
Funny you ask, as I was just about to update this. In short, it didn't.

I went to Ford (the dealer that did the work) on Saturday and had a technician ride with me. We got on the freeway and as soon as we got to 70mph, I asked, "You can feel and hear that, right?" He said yes, so I should be hearing from someone today go take it back )for the 5th time!!) in so they can fix it.

He said that they replaced and triple checked everything, so it has to be the differential that has the vibe in it. He also told me Ford won't let them balance a drive shaft, they have to replace it. I looked under there and sure enough, it's brand new and the cleanest part on the entire truck. The transmission shop that originally put the diff in, isn't going to be happy, I know that for sure. They wouldn't own up to the fact that they didn't put my truck back together correctly in the first place. They're also the ones that told me my vibration from the rear was my right front wheel bearing... idiots.

Did I mention this is going to be the 5th time it's going in for this?! F!

Funny you ask, as I was just about to update this. In short, it didn't.

I went to Ford (the dealer that did the work) on Saturday and had a technician ride with me. We got on the freeway and as soon as we got to 70mph, I asked, "You can feel and hear that, right?" He said yes, so I should be hearing from someone today go take it back )for the 5th time!!) in so they can fix it.

He said that they replaced and triple checked everything, so it has to be the differential that has the vibe in it. He also told me Ford won't let them balance a drive shaft, they have to replace it. I looked under there and sure enough, it's brand new and the cleanest part on the entire truck. The transmission shop that originally put the diff in, isn't going to be happy, I know that for sure. They wouldn't own up to the fact that they didn't put my truck back together correctly in the first place. They're also the ones that told me my vibration from the rear was my right front wheel bearing... idiots.

Did I mention this is going to be the 5th time it's going in for this?! F!

If it turns out to be your rear diff, I'd hang that transmission shop out to dry. Its very aggravating trying to figure out whats wrong and no being able to pinpoint it. I'm going through that right now with my 03 POS Taurus. Good luck man!

Dude I feel ya. When I bought my 06 I had a hell of a fight with my warranty company over the coil packs, rear diff, and radiator. On a brighter note your expy looks sexy. Ford should have lifted these 2-3" from the factory. So how baddly did the tire change hurt your 0-60 and fuel economy?

If it turns out to be your rear diff, I'd hang that transmission shop out to dry. Its very aggravating trying to figure out whats wrong and no being able to pinpoint it. I'm going through that right now with my 03 POS Taurus. Good luck man!
Thanks, I've already had strong words with everyone involved. I know the guy is not looking forward to calling me to schedule me bringing it back in today.

Dude I feel ya. When I bought my 06 I had a hell of a fight with my warranty company over the coil packs, rear diff, and radiator. On a brighter note your expy looks sexy. Ford should have lifted these 2-3" from the factory. So how baddly did the tire change hurt your 0-60 and fuel economy?
Thanks.

It's an absolute pig since I have the 3.55 ratio.Not a big deal to me though, since I just cruise. The mpg has gone down a little, so my drive to work and back I get about 17..

I'm really digging the look of the 1.25" spacers with the 32s.

So I took it back in yesterday, finally, and told the guy that I don't want progress report phone calls. All I want is my truck to be fixed and to all me when that happens. I got a call from Ford and the service writer said it just got dropped off there. I'm glad to hear that the trans shop doesn't have it anymore (they picked it up from Carmax).

I don't know how I'll react if it's not fixed this time.

This time I got a Kia Forte, which isn't a bad car at all really. Nice interior and the usual econobox feel while driving.

Sent from my microwave using forum runner.

Attachments

• 2011_kia_forte_ex_radcliff_ky_97127961106336111.jpg
    2011_kia_forte_ex_radcliff_ky_97127961106336111.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 429

Two and a half months later... it's fixed! After finding out what it was, it could have been done correctly the first time.

It ended up being the pinion flange runout. The tolerance from Ford was no more than .008" and it was at .009" They got it to .004" and there is no more vibration. I told the Carmax service writer that the trans shop has caused this whole thing, cost Carmax a **** load of money and they should really rethink their contract with them if that's how they do business.

Anyway, all is good with the Explorer, so now it's on to some other mods.

Wow, what an ordeal...glad to hear everything is all good now:thumbsup:

Small update:

I've had a blown speaker in the rear passenger door for a while now and I finally took care of it last weekend.

I replaced all door speakers with Pioneer TS-G6844R 6x8s

And added a Pyle 10" (low-profile) amplified sub just to fill the sound a little. It works perfect for what I wanted and I got it all plus install for $500!

All powered by the JVC-KW-ADV794 that was in my F-150.

JVC-KW-ADV794.jpg

Back