M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got the brakes all done and painted.they turned out real nice.won't go into to much details or pics.I'm going to start an new thread with lots of details and pics.my drop beams have been on back order for two weeks now so as soon as they come in ill be putting all my new suspension and brakes on;)

20130604_125202_zps1d606909.jpg

20130604_150710_zps488c7165.jpg

20130604_150647_zps79453eed.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looking good.

Seats installed yet? Im looking forward to a review of them.

Coming along great.

Any new news on your SC motor?

Seats installed yet? Im looking forward to a review of them.

Coming along great.

Any new news on your SC motor?

They are cheap apc seats, run $105 at pepboys.they are pretty comfortable. I took some measurements when I had it gutted.I'm going to be putting in a half cage with 5point;) this is far down the road tho.....
Haven't done anything to the sc motor yet but strip all the parts off from it, it will be the last thing I do:(

Right now the list goes......
Front end suspension and brakes
Tunnel for drivshaft clearance
Rear end swap and cobra brakes
B2 gas tank swap to behind axle
Trans rebuilt and clutch
Custom long tube headers and dual exhaust with electric cut outs
Seats and cage
FINALLY motor swap
Last body and paint
:hammer::sawzall::burnout:

This is going to be the danger Ranger, for sure. Not much being left untouched.
Once you get down to the fiberglass panels, I'll know you are truly out of control.

This is going to be the danger Ranger, for sure. Not much being left untouched.
Once you get down to the fiberglass panels, I'll know you are truly out of control.

Hahah its funny you say that because the hood and front fenders will be fiberglass. I've been looking for fiberglass bed panels but only am finding ones with flares and prerunner look.I just want a plain bed look or even a splash model.
This truck I am really going towards the autocross theme or street racer.I don't want something just for a straight line.big brakes, good traction/handling and low down power:D

Man I soo pissed right now!!!:( ordered my beams over two weeks ago!!! Summint sent me a notice a week after I ordered and told me they were on back order.so they put me on hold and call djm.they say djm has them in stock and will ship them directly to me to save time.said it should have been in yesterday. Well they didn't come in and I never received a tracking number.so I call summit today and they tell me that djm said they were outa stock for 2-3weeks!!!!!! WTF

I'm hot at this point because I wanted to finish this front end last week as I was trying to make a trip on july 4.so I call djm and get some rude ass guy, I ask if and when he thinks he will have the ranger beams in stock...he goes" this isn't star track, I can't just beam you up Scotty"I say so your a company and have no idea or timeframe of when your have a product in stock? He goes on with rude ass comments basically BS on what needs to be done to make them...........I run a machine shop you ASS, I know what and how long it takes to make something and it don't take 3-4weeks to make ONE set of beams, even if he is making lots of 10!!!!! I didn't say that to him, he pissed me off so bad I hung up on him after his last BS rude comment!!! Makes me want to order some other kind of beams!!

My whole front end is shot..I don't think it will even make it another month!! Pads are down to bare metal,all the balljoints are shot and the RA bushings are SHOT!! I would hate to install all this stuff then have to pull it back out to install on new beams but I may have to!!! Getting the balljoints out without damaging them is near to impossible! !:( rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ok so I call summit back and tell them to cancel my order.I then go online and search and see if anyone has any in stock.first search pulls up summit ebay.they say they have them in stock and for $13 cheaper with free shipping.so I call summit back up and ask DO YOU HAVE THESE IN STOCK OR NOT!!?!? guy goes yes we have four on the shelf and they came in yesterday!!!!! WTF so I ask why have I not received mine...he gets a supervisor...the supervisor says they problem is when I called last week and they set up a drop ship straight from djm, they didn't ship the "drop shipments" first..they ship the PO for summit inventory. .....then ran out of beams, why mine would be shipped out in next months production run

Now why couldn't djm tell me that or the first two people I talked to today!!! He was VERY VERY helpful and refunded the differences in price and shipped them out 3 day for free.soooooo looks like this swap may happen next weekend....uggggg

It has BEGUN! !;)updates coming

20130614_174728_zps61954c7e.jpg

Well I'm 90% done.every nut and bolt I had to use a 4ft breaker bar and torch.ran into two problems. One the bracket that mounts the sway bar didn't line up, easy fix just re-bent it.next and the major problem or could be major problem.the stock pivot arm uses a pinch bolt where half of it is threaded, that's what I mocked up to.the problem is that the djm arms use a bolt and nut.the nut comes very close to hitting my brake bracket and if they adjust the alignment shim any it will hit.I need to tap half of that joint so its like stock and no nut is used.it clears for now but pretty sure they are going to have to adjust it to align the truck.so I'm dead in the water till I can get a 5/8 tap!!:(

Still need to put the new brake lines on and bleed it also.ill take more pic tomorrow. I'm worn ass out

Got parts
20130615_095504_zpsf3f239b3.jpg

And you can see where it uses a nut instead of having that side threaded like stock.it clears in this pic but get very close when you turn.if you adjust the shim at all it will hit.
20130615_181655_zps6ef043d4.jpg

well finally got the front swap done.i think it turned out very good.not to slammed but I didn't want it slammed,just wanted the benefits of being lowered.im sure it will settle another inch or too.it rides really nice not like a lowered truck at all.still need to get my new sway bar and replace my steering shaft with a flaming river shaft.the stock steering coupler is shot!!

also got my new temporary tires on.the rear is 255/45 and the front is 245/45.the front will stay 245/45 but the back will be 275/40 when all is said and done.still need to get it aligned and break in the rotors still.threw a fog light valance on so now I need fog lights.

now to get the new rearend done so the drop and rotors will match.but all and all I think it turned out very nice and you definitely can see the rotors;)

tapped out,only because its djm beams.stock beams don't use a nut and bolt
20130617_162028_zpsc3d050fa.jpg

everything is new and I mean EVERYTHING;)
20130618_191817_zps6da578c5.jpg

Before..

20130518_201546_zpsb084ab76.jpg

After;)

20130618_203416_zps73177e09.jpg

Ill get a good side shot after it stops raining out:(

20130618_224813_zpsd95484a0.jpg

new fog light valance
20130618_205328_zpsb11af9e2.jpg

Started to break them in last night according to R1 instructions. I really had trouble finding a place I could properly do it at.I would say they still need a little more break in but WOW what a difference. ...when I first drove it I didn't really get on them that hard and I would say with a 1/3 of the peddle they were better than stock.now they are broke in, its more front brakes than the truck can handle.keep in mind my rear drums suck and don't really work, still have the abs light on even after replacing the rear lines and bleeding.but if you get on the brakes hard I say about half peddle they will lock up both front tires.you really gota ease on them, also if I had some heat in the tires would have helped.its night and day difference for sure.for a vehicle that only has front brakes, I would say it has some of the best brakes I've even driven.it will put you into the dash for sure!!!. Can't wait to get the rear done!!!!

Looks really nice. Good to see the custom work pay off. Any news on the motor?

Looks really nice. Good to see the custom work pay off. Any news on the motor?
The list!↓↓↓ ;)

Haven't done anything to the sc motor yet but strip all the parts off from it, it will be the last thing I do:(

Right now the list goes......
Front end suspension and brakes
Tunnel for drivshaft clearance
Rear end swap and cobra brakes
B2 gas tank swap to behind axle
Trans rebuilt and clutch
Custom long tube headers and dual exhaust with electric cut outs
Seats and cage
FINALLY motor swap
Last body and paint
:hammer::sawzall::burnout:

Well haven't done much, saving up some money to do the B2 gas tank swap next.I ordered some of that pre-cut security tint for the truck and installed it.came out pretty damn good, of course I did manage to get some **** in it but not bad at all.was really easy to install and fit perfect. Its that 4mil stuff so think that made it easier. Also got the tonno lo-roll cover for the bed, really like it because its about the lowest profile one I've seen.I dont like when you look at trucks and see the cover sitting 3" above the bed.

Lastly I've been living on the edge with my steering.the steering coupler is COMPLETELY shot and holding on by a thread.with these new wide ass tires in the front my truck like to track everything in the road and having LITERALLY a half turn of play in the steering wheel has been scary as hell.so I ordered the flaming river shaft and ujoint.I'm going to try and do it with only one ujoint compared to how many others do it with two.ill post pics and probably start a thread as I haven't seen any first gens or rangers just use one.
Flaming river parts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1856-s
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1715dd

SECURITY FILM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380643755507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Tonno lo-roll
http://www.mechanics-warehouse.com/tonnoproloroll.htm

And some pics:)

20130703_161322_zps0f514230.jpg

20130703_161308_zps3c5343a9.jpg

O and one last thing.I had to get a thin nut and flat washer to put on my shock because at full lock it would perfectly hit the lip of my rims and was eating it to pieces. I cut a good 1/2-3/4" off the threads and it don't rub no more.my tire will rub on the sway bay before the rim hits anything.;)

20130705_134618_zps250e2de6.jpg

Looks great! Amazing mods.

Were all going to start chanting 'motor' 'motor' 'motor' soon.

Any thought on your hood?

How well did the tint go on, and what shade did you get?

I was REALLY REALLY easy.fit perfectly, I pulled the front door panels and the lock off the rear window. I think it being thicker stuff really made it easier also, I've done tint before but must say having it pre-cut and thicker was very nice.I asked for 35% but I SWEAR this is 20%.I love they way it looks and prefer 20% but its the law that I'm worried about.they LOVE LOVE to pull people for ""tint"":mad:

I would suggest using them;)

Back