what do you think of the 2002 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

• i like it!

Votes: 154 53.8%
  • i think ford messed up:(

Votes: 132 46.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
i still haven't heard a single good review about it. i hope this isn't the beginning of the end for the explorer. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, the design is just awful and unattractive. I cant really speak about the mechanical issues.

I don't know guys, my uncle just got a 02' eddie bauer and it's pretty darn sweet.

Can't vote for either of those. I like the newer body and I'm sure it handles great on the road, and If I was looking for a new SUV for on road use, I'd buy one. But It is no longer an SUV. . . its a minivan that is an SUV lookalike. And I don't think that Ford messed up. They finally gave in to what many others have already done, and have made it to suit the majority of the populations need.

i voted for messed up.....but jefe is right. they arent tryingto make us 4byers unhappy they are just trying to stay in business....they have taken a major hit in recalling all fire/flintstones tires. they need to make money or they will go undeer. most people today want the car ride truck and will never see offroad. and ford has to keep up with what most people WANT

you guys are right, they tried to give people what they want.
but many people think the new interior is uncomfortable.
also the cargo area does not lay flat, the third row seating is at an angle when folded down. which isn't ideal for the soccer mom going to the store to pick up groceries.

dont think that i'm saying it's a terrible mistake, i just haven't heard anything good about it. some people like the body style, some dont. but i wouldn't buy a car just because i liked the body style, there has to be something else.
if there is anything good about it, i would like to hear it.:)

true, how very true...i heard there is an oh $#!t bar on the passenger pillar and it is so large and cumbersome some people may have a hard time with in/egress. and i heard it impedes the mirror to the point it could be taken off and improve visibility...

The few that I have seen on the roads I still do a double take at. They look like a poorly finished mini-van. The Aerostar looks better then it! It doesn't have that flow going that most other Ford products have. I would even go so far to say what is the differnce between it and the Aztec? They both look terrible. They don't have a good flowing body and the plastic on them makes them look cheap and crappy. But they were not trying to sell them to me so thats good!

Right on Rpenner! I hear from my good friend that its not supposed to have a truck frame and rather its mounted on a unibody? Is this correct? One thing i like about the new explorer is the increase engine and hp. it has something like 245 hp now. i like the redesigned front also. but i figure all these changes are for the worst seeing that it looks so cheap and crappy. they need to build a car that is built. i think 91-97 are the best damn explorers ever. they can handle just about anything and i'm glad i own one of them as well as many of you guys on the board

I test drove a 2002.

I got to put about 60 road miles on the new Explorer with a really cool car salesman.

First the Explorer is still using a full frame, in fact the frame is stiffer than on any of the previous Explorers.

I like the looks of the front end, but not the rear. I liked the interior ergonomics, but I didn't like the appearance of the dash it didn't have a "quality" look to it. Everything looked like cheap plastic, (I know... all cars use plastic, but this just looked cheap!) The seating was very comfortable.

The 4.0 SOHC really pulled well from stop lights and had gobs of low end torque. I was not at all impressed with the power once at freeway speeds. At 75mph, it took quite a bit of throttle to accelerate from that speed.

I was VERY disappointed in the road manners at freeway speeds. The Explorer needed constant little corrections to maintain a straight line. It was not a "hands off" ride. I compare all cars now to my VW Golf which tracks straight as an arrow for indefinate periods of time.

With it's new 4 wheel independent suspension I expected a much better ride. The sales people better watch their tounges though! She kept emphasizing that with the new suspension you wouldn't have to worry about roll overs etc.

The new Explorer isn't an off-road vehicle, it's more of a station wagon than ever. I just hope that Ford continues to keep the Explorer Sport and Sport Trac on a different platform. Or even better, introduce the Bronco or the EX that they teased us with!

Yeah, I think they look like hopped-up station wagons now, but people keep buying them. I didn't vote because I'm pretty undecided on whether I like it or not. The two things that disappoint me is the IRS and how I confuse it with some of the Jimmys out there :(

i would never do this and never even am going to get a SUV with IRS. but could you twist the torsion bars front and rear for lift lol

its ok, I mean, you should have had 3 options.. good, ok, and bad heh, I wouldn't mind owning one, I think with some mods, a line or 2 in that van door hatch shaved off and guards, that truck would look great.

I think the rear suspension may be coil over shock. I just tooka a quick look before my test drive.

What is this? An expedition with 4wheel IS?

-

so far twice as many people dont like it.

i still haven't heard any reasons to buy one yet.
whoever said they like it, why not say why you like it.
why is it better than the 2001? or other previous explorers?

Hello all, long time no speak...

I'm in the market for replacing my '96 Explorer (featured on this site) and am seriously considering the new 2002 model.

I haven't seen any real worthy improvements in the past 5 years, with the exception of the DOHC V6 (wish they released that in '96 :mad: ) and the 5 speed auto-transmission.

The 2002 has many advantages over it's previous bretheren, like more HP, more torque, more interior room, quieter interior, more ground clearance, better handling, and more...

The only downside I can see is the price tag seems to keep growing each year.

My choices are between the '02 Explorer Eddie Bauer or a '01 Land Rover Discovery. I think both will suit the everyday city tasks and occasional off-pavement adventures.

Originally posted by Rick
I think the rear suspension may be coil over shock. I just tooka a quick look before my test drive.
It's actually coils front and rear. No more torsion bars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's ugly, doesn't handle as good as my '92 lifted with 35s and it's ugly. Maybe more hp and torque, but it's ugly and isnt' really that good looking! No room to lift it with the axles going through the fricken frame (nice and strong). also it's ugly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back