Calico May 14+15 - Anyone interested? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calico May 14+15 - Anyone interested?

Brian,
I assume you'll be towing out your camper correct? Since none of us are familiar with Calico that will take some more investigating to see whats a camper friendly area. The ranger station out there should have some good info on that I would guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know my dad was thinking about coming out to.... :rolleyes: We'll see though.

Found this Pic's

DSCF2639.JPG

That is the trail in the center :confused:

DSCF2633.JPG

DSCF2628.JPG

I read somwhere that the camping is like t-haven, but there is a campgrond with hook ups in calico for $14 a night. But we all like Big camp fires :D So in the canyon is good!

Is anyone going out Friday? :rolleyes: I was thinking of going Friday night...but traffic will really suck :(

I'd rather not pay $14 for hookups I don't need. :) I agree with the camp fire and TH style camping.

I'll head out Sat morning and you're right traffic is going to suck friday night.

FROADER said:
I'd rather not pay $14 for hookups I don't need. :) I agree with the camp fire and TH style camping.

I'll head out Sat morning and you're right traffic is going to suck friday night.

Sunday on the way home too! :(

Who let this guy into Calico :roll:

twitch_full.jpg

Can't Wait! :bounce:

Do you dare complete THE GATEKEEPER??? This movie will be up shortly, but it shows what a J##P on 31" tires has to deal with when boulders are bigger than an Expedition! Enjoy yourselves, and keep the rubber side down...

-Ken

That was just wacky at the end :confused:

I think I'll leave the gate keeper till I have my new rear bumper done, I kinda like my quarter pannels they way they are for now, Thank You ;)

Stic-o said:
That was just wacky at the end :confused:

I think I'll leave the gate keeper till I have my new rear bumper done, I kinda like my quarter pannels they way they are for now, Thank You ;)

I though that looked like fun..

I will be leaving either Friday morning or afternoon, or Thursday afternoon, depending on who is coming from my family. As usual, I won't know until a few days prior.
I would like to rough camp, and yes I am bringing my trailer. My partner at work says it takes less time to drive to Calico than Big Bear, just a few hours from San Diego. Maybe someone who lives closer can run up there and look for a camping spot???? Like DB1????? I think we could camp anywhere around the mouth of Odessa Canyon. Its BLM land so its free for all to use.

..........and now for some real maps :D

12287Calico1.jpg

18. Wall St. Canyon Overlook ~Easy
19. Doran Loop ~Difficult
20. Odessa Canyon ~Difficult
21. Phillips Loop ~Moderate
22. Mule Canyon Road ~Easy
23. Achy-Breaky ~Difficult

12287Calico_2.jpg

Most people camp where the left arrow from the ATC guy is. "staging area"

at the exit far to the right "Minneola Road", I think that where we use to go when I was in cub scouts, I'm pretty sure...always dreamed of coming back ;)

I'll try my best to do a scouting trip up there next weekend but I can't make any promises right now...keep ya posted.

My partner says a lot of people dry camp all over the place on the road to the entrance to Odessa Cyn and the Doran Loop trails.

Stic-o said:
..........and now for some real maps :D

12287Calico1.jpg

18. Wall St. Canyon Overlook ~Easy
19. Doran Loop ~Difficult
20. Odessa Canyon ~Difficult
21. Phillips Loop ~Moderate
22. Mule Canyon Road ~Easy
23. Achy-Breaky ~Difficult

12287Calico_2.jpg

Most people camp where the left arrow from the ATC guy is. "staging area"

at the exit far to the right "Minneola Road", I think that where we use to go when I was in cub scouts, I'm pretty sure...always dreamed of coming back ;)

Right where you see the '02' is where you guys will want to set up camp. It is out of the way from most of the trails, in a good canyon that will provide protection against the wind. Lots and lots of motorhomes/campers will be scattered up and down that road, but right around the '2' is the ideal spot that we've used to stage a number of runs over the past year or so...

-Ken

Looks like it will be good weather for the run! Friday the 13th :rolleyes: is showing 83 in the day and 54 and night! :thumbsup:

Is anyone going to have an extra seat? I may cruise out there in the Dodge. I'd take the Explorer, but I don't want to break it before Moab :D

Rick said:
Is anyone going to have an extra seat? I may cruise out there in the Dodge. I'd take the Explorer, but I don't want to break it before Moab :D
I should have a seat open.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dayum thats gnarly.
go break Jefe's rig instead, he can weld good :)

Have fun!

Back