034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i like it a lot......it just looks like its hugging the incline....you did a great job on the ranger

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

^^ thanks man.

And gil, I know you do naughty things while looking at pictures of my truck, just try to stop, for your keyboards sake. Hahaaha.

Painted it, bling.

d4c6ae71.jpg

af38a4f4.jpg

The correct adapter came today. Drivehshaft is being shortened, will be done by tuesday.

e220139b.jpg

034x4 said:
And gil, I know you do naughty things while looking at pictures of my truck, just try to stop, for your keyboards sake. Hahaaha.

why? it lubes the keys up...

and dude, youve really taken the bling out of the word "bling". you need a new word.

paint looks jesus, man!!

is that adapter for the front or rear ? bought time you get some 4wheel drive aint it ?

It's for the front. If I needed an adapter for the rear how would I have been driving it?

ok im a dumb a$$

034x4 said:
It's for the front. If I needed an adapter for the rear how would I have been driving it?

haha tha sucka just got served...

the rear bumper looks good but it sticks out to far should have tryed to get in sucked in a little more

It's about as far in as it can be before I start cutting the stock spare tire carrier part of the frame. I would have liked it to be tucked in more, but at least it's above the frame rail.

can you shoot some pics of that adapter

What kind of pics do you want? I have a pic of it not installed a couple of posts up.

The crappy stock xj slip yoke seperated going straight up a hill like I thought it would. Taking it back to the driveshaft shop and getting a 12" slip yoke installed, should have it back friday. Going wheelin this sunday on some local powerlines and I'll get some pics up.

Since I have 4wd now I was playing around in the back yard, and now I can climb up stuff at alot better angles. I had my rear tire in the air at one point, but didn't climb out to get a shot lol.

Jen, making a goofy face lol.

32d62941.jpg

When you have shocks that aren't locked up, the rear tends to flex a little bit more.

6da5ff0a.jpg

8630cccb.jpg

bbe59d53.jpg

236d6507.jpg

e8eec192.jpg

4f468682.jpg

Tuck that shiat. The shocks not bottomed out yet either. Need longer shackles to do that.

6e8ebb5c.jpg

DROOP.

e73f2d6c.jpg

ebc2e2b2.jpg

57b48243.jpg

nice job

looks fantastic. Im glad you finally got 4wd, now go wheel it yo!!

those chebbie leafs look like they are flexing wonderfully. I say ditch the coil idea and invest in a bender and DOM.

awesome work (except for the camera, ***...)

Back