Should I start a new Build?? 97 Explorer, SAS, Atlas? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I start a new Build?? 97 Explorer, SAS, Atlas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Update- Warrior 153 shackles ordered for rear to hopefully level out with frontend, may still need add a leaf once i get all my supplies in back, rear bumper with gas tanks and tire mounted. Also ordered tree strap :) To keep trees healthy!

No lift springs for now will see how the stock ones do. Today i'm making list of metal I needed for sliders, rear bumper, and SAS swap peices. Going to pick most of it up tommorow, Gman I am thinking about using Bumper that was allready built thats on my Bronco and adding swingouts to it. Just to save some money. Last night did some more grinding to frame rail where steering box will go. I will say doing this swap with engine in would be alot more difficult.

Hey, every little bit helps. I have a friend who has a son that is a welder. I am going to talk to him, and see if my bumper can be made local. Thinking stic-o 2.0 bumper & 1.0 swingout.

We are running out of time! AAhhhh!!

Shoot your rig can go like it is, mine doesnt even run yet! But I will get it done.

OK, what can I do to help? I want to make sure you make it out there (CO) with us. If you need an extra set of hands to wrench, I can get in a weekend or an extended weekend to help out.

BAD ASS RIG!

I want that, man. Not only that, but your fabrication and welding skills.

Thanx JG,

update clutch pedals are in. Picking up frame reinforcemnt pieces for steering box area tommorow
100_1813.jpg

Clutch and brake pedals are not hooked up yet, but that will not take very long. The pics are looking up under dash where the pedal assembally comes out, also the hole u see on lower left is where master cylinder goes thru, this is factory, thats where they ran gro mlet with tranny shifter cable. Note my clutch pedal assemb. came from 98 Ranger.

Gman, its all pretty much 1 set of hands that can do it, its just finding time, hopefully there will be huge amounts of progress this weekend.
Note anyone that has done one of these , SAS to 2nd Gen were you able to reuse stock tranny crossmember or does front driveshaft droop to much and will hit?

Progress update, Yesterday picked up metal for fab work. Sliders, swing out tire carrier, frame mods for SAS. But then progress delayed a little bit, cause I picked up a new toy. Bought a Polaris RZR S model, this thing is alot of fun, I plan on having it street legal and ready to take with this explorer on my Colorado/Utah trip.

Update, not so sure on the RZR being street legal, they told me back when i did my trike u could, but kinda blew me off when i just asked for details. o well. Back to the build, going little slower than planned had few set backs, but steering box is mounted and finishing up touches tonight on it, if all goes well, would like to set motor in this weekend.

Well it ran when they wrecked it but how well? I dunno, just almost finished steering box frame mods, can see the end, but ran out of welding wire, thats ok i was ready to quit for tonight, I hope to finish that and get most of track bar mount tommorow, then finish coil bucket towers and shock towers, hopefully by end of day sat i will be ready to put engine in, i would like to drop it down in sunday and then im gonna build a new crossmember underneath the engine to coonect the frame and tie the tracbar into for side support.

Back