Pugly | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any of it for vehicles?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Any of it for vehicles?

Just what I have for this rig.

All of it is mostly Residential paints. Latex, Oil, Lacquers, Varnishes. Some Industrial paints in the mix. Left overs from other jobs, that I dip into every now & then for other jobs. Saves $$ as none of it is cheap to replace. There was over 150 gals in there. Roughly 1200 lbs or so. Thank goodness for the overload helpers :D

Home test on the Alt showed it to be putting out 13.2v, just barely enough to give the battery a surface charge.

Took it to AZ to have them test it on their portable tester. It showed the battery to be good, and the ALT passed all tests. I told them about the low voltage output, and they said to remove it and they would bench test it, as that machine gives better results.

So I did. It tested to be good. It read 16.4 at its peak output, and 14.2 at it's lowest. Tested 3 times with same results. I installed it back on, and now need to test other things. :rolleyes:

On another note....

Spring testing the rig with some paint I have to relocate since I am moving.

loosepaintcansin94.jpg

moreloosepaintcansin94.jpg

Springs are squatted so low, I can't pull the trailer loaded with more paint. :(

5galcansloadedontrailer.jpg

I'm just very glad your bad luck is over.. otherwise you could have ended up like this.

126_Car_accident_25_litres_of_paint-s1024x768-112766-580.jpg

~Mark

Man, there was so much paint in there, that if a wreck did happen, I would have drowned.

Oh, weird news.....

After I installed the ALT back, the gauges are back to normal, and the battery seems to be charging right again. :scratch:

Man, there was so much paint in there, that if a wreck did happen, I would have drowned.

Oh, weird news.....

After I installed the ALT back, the gauges are back to normal, and the battery seems to be charging right again. :scratch:

A wreck would have been a HAZMAT situation. :)

That would have been awesome!

For the Alt... maybe a connection issue? Is everything all clean and shiny now?

Could have been. I went ahead and took a wrench to all the connections on the charging & starting system bolts while I was at it.

This rig kinda got drove hard at the Smorr meet in the barrel and drag races. It got air a couple times! LOL Might have shook one loose. All I know is I'm very happy it is working again. For how long? Who knows.

Oh, just a little while ago, I rolled the drivers window down, and it kept on wanting to go down. Something inside broke as it just keeps spinning, and I have to hit the up button to stop it from spinning inside. :rolleyes:

Bummer on the window.

You needed banner for your rig, Transporting Hazardous Materials LOL wow all I can say

The headliner was trashed in this thing in the drivers area, so a couple weeks ago I took the red headliner out of the 91 parts rig.

Red just wasn't going to work with camel tan interior, but it is in such good shape, I just had to use it. :D

In the 91

91exheadlinerrearshot.jpg

So I painted it (cause thats what I do) black. :D

headliner2.jpg

headliner1.jpg

How's the rest of that red interior?

I've looked for one for years and had no luck.

Ah, curses! The main item I'm hunting for at the moment is a nice set of merlot leather front seats. The driver's seat is totally trashed, and every upolstery shop I've talked to wants about $700 to reskin the one chair.

I'm in the middle of moving today and getting ready to take Pugly on the road a few hundred miles away, so I had to get these installed before all my tools were put up.

JDstabilizerinstalled.jpg

JDrearshocksinstalled.jpg

Looking good! I still have some stupid gas-charged shocks on the back of the Beast, would you do me the favor of letting me know how the Duff shocks ride?

Looking good! I still have some stupid gas-charged shocks on the back of the Beast, would you do me the favor of letting me know how the Duff shocks ride?

Sure thing. :thumbsup:

Let me get a few hundred miles on them city/hwy/off road, before I give my opinion on them.

:salute:

Welp, shortly after she hit 220,000 miles, the bottom end gave up on the old 4.0L.

Have another 4.0L out of a 94 Ranger with just a tad over 100,000 miles on it being picked up tomorrow. Plan is to remove & install this weekend.

I am hundreds of miles away from home with it right now, and with the help of a couple of forum members, it should be back on the road soon. :salute:

Not stuck in CO by any chance, are you?

Darn...I seen this...but that's awesome ya got some ef'ers lending you a hand miles from home!

Not in CO, still in MO. Just the other side of the state.

Seems like they always run the best right before they let go. :scratch:

I could always get another rig that is running already, but then the thought of swapping out all the mods isn't appealing to me. Being that I have hardly any free time these days, an engine swap is the way to go for this situation.

Big giant Kudos to Bronco2guy and his Bro for coming to the rescue for me here. :notworthy:

Back