Pugly | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I added a plate of steel under the Beam where there 3rd member goes.

My cut/turn beam had been hit before I got it and had 1 crack in the steel.

I would at least do that. It will help if you come down on a rock and hit the steel. Won't help the 3rd member itself though.

~Mark

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lookin' Good Gman!

So, when are you going to fab up a 4x4Junkie style bash guard?

Someday! When I come across one, or maybe talk the magical wizard of fab, Brian1 to make me one :D

I added a plate of steel under the Beam where there 3rd member goes.

My cut/turn beam had been hit before I got it and had 1 crack in the steel.

I would at least do that. It will help if you come down on a rock and hit the steel. Won't help the 3rd member itself though.

~Mark
Anything is better than nothing, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

I looked at these beams up & down checking for cracks, and didn't find anything. Thankful for that, but I'm sure the more it is wheeled, the chances are greater it will happen.

Pugly went wheeling over the weekend, and did an amazing job.

She made it to the finals in the 50 yard low range drag race and lost by a nose to a V-8 rig. That was a cool race!

She took on some level 3's at the off road park, and just kicked butt. Being open/open diff's, she just needed the right line to navigate the rugged terrain. Was proud of her, as the old gal did awesome.

Although she did well, there is an issue in the front suspension that I have to dig into to figure out what the problem is.

Excellent mate:D:thumbsup:

All I could find was both front shocks had some slack on top. I cant get them to tighten anymore, and there is still some slop there. :scratch:

Shock bushings replaced with new red poly bushings.

Checked everything I could, and still have the clunking when taking off, coming to a stop, and when stationary turning the wheels. Thinking it might be the rear R/A mount needs tightened some.

Question for you shock guru's....

It needs a new set of rear shocks, and the James Duff 8115 are the closest to the stock size. The collapsed rate is 16" and stock is 15.25" Will that .750" really matter seeing as this rig is lifted 2" with the spring packs?

Ext length stock is 25.375 & JD shock is 26.25", so all good there.
Travel on the JD is 10.25"and static is 20.25"

The only thing is these have eye to eye mounts, but come with a bag of hardware to fit most applications, including dog bones and bushing sleeves. Price is great for these 70/30 auto adjusting shocks.

Well, I don't know about specific shock questions, but I do know that the 70/30 JD shocks feel damned good up front (though there are 4 of 'em).

Since you lifted the rear via springs and kept the shock "mounts" the same....

That means you can get away with a shock that has more length when compressed. Not quite 2" since the shocks are at an angle but If the shocks aren't your limiting factor now then having shocks that are .75" longer when compressed than stock should be just fine.

~Mark

Since you lifted the rear via springs and kept the shock "mounts" the same....

That means you can get away with a shock that has more length when compressed. Not quite 2" since the shocks are at an angle but If the shocks aren't your limiting factor now then having shocks that are .75" longer when compressed than stock should be just fine.

~Mark
Thanks Mark, was hoping you read that. :thumbsup:

Mounts haven't been changed, and the tires stuffed hitting the inner wheel wells, plus the bump stops, I believe hit before the shock bottoms out as is. I feel better asking things of this nature, and getting confirmation from you guys. Lately, my thinking hasn't been up to par. Old timers has kicked in gear, and sometimes I forget the simple obvious stuff.

:salute:

Got all excited for nothing! Was able to tighten the dr side R/A nut a few threads more, thinking that was the issue for sure with the clunk.

Nope, still there :(

Why do the wrenching gods give me the mystery crap on these rigs? :rolleyes:

Well... your mystery clunk sounds just like mine... so at least you're not alone. My theory is a blown u-joint up front somewhere, but until I have the money for parts, I'm going to continue driving, and hope nothing falls off.

Well... your mystery clunk sounds just like mine... so at least you're not alone. My theory is a blown u-joint up front somewhere, but until I have the money for parts, I'm going to continue driving, and hope nothing falls off.

If your not in 4x4 AND your hubs are unlocked the axle and front drive shaft should not be moving.

One thing I did just think of.. Check the slip joint on the drive shaft. If it gets really dirty/sticky it will make noise. Our front was like that.. We haven't had a boot on it for years.

~Mark

Will check the slip joint. I do know I can see more of the spline then normal, and I spun the shaft to check the u-joints, but didn't find anything apparently wrong. :dunno:

I'm thinking it has to be something that moves under stress. It is a loud audible, and physical clunk, you can feel it on the floor board with your feet. . This is why I was thinking the R/A was loose and letting the beam slam back & forth.

I'm going to remove the hubs, and rotors tomorrow and check the spindles out, and then make sure the front R/A nuts are tight.

When your looking at the ra nuts make sure your not running out of threads. I had that issue before. Throw on a 2nd washer under the nut just to make sure it is really tight.

~Mark

Mark, do the red poly bushings compact more then the stock rubber bushings? I got it tight as it will go now, but now you have me wondering if I did run out of thread. :scratch:

Maniak said:
If your not in 4x4 AND your hubs are unlocked the axle and front drive shaft should not be moving.

Should and is are two different things. Besides, just like the front driveshaft splined slip joint moves in and out as the front articulates, wouldn't the u-joints move as the knuckles turn and the axles cycle (even if only a small amount)? I know that the front axle isn't spinning, but why assume that it is a completely static entity?

Took this rig over to 88comingup's & got it up on his racks. We found the pass side R/A bushing to be ripped on the front side, and that is what we think to be causing the clunk.

I have a new bushing, and got 2 of the R/A washers off our 91 parts rig in case I need them. :thumbsup:

I also nabbed the perfect headliner out of the 91. Pugly's is ripped to shreds in the front. This one is red, and I am going to use black fabric paint on it to change the color. Red would just look way too funny with tan interior. :crazy:

Back