Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap

Well.. once again I've caved in to peer pressure.. you guys are a bad influence!!!

I've decided that this summer will see me do an Electric shift 4406 conversion aswell as a full width SAS/SOA conversion.

Now, I've been offered the entire front end from a 79 bronco for $400 or the entire from end from an 89 Ramcharger for $100...

My intentions are to use coil springs and RAs up front not leaf springs,

So which Dana 44 will be best? Can I put the spring seats on the Dodge axle? The Dodge set up comes with the vacuum set up, but I'll be switching to an elec locker at a later date anyway.

The cost is not the issue, I want to use the correct stuff first off,

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I have the shaft issue sorted out due to a really awesome forum member, who shall remain nameless unless he wants to make himself known.

I shall be ordering my Artec truss and stuff this weekend too...

Si

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

got a call this morning... I wasn't even awake when the guy called to say that my D44 was ready... I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up..

I went out there to pick it up and he was telling me that the tube is tapered at the pumpkin end, so it was more difficult than he had quoted, but, $242 later, I got it back

Si

Attachments

• narrow44.jpg
    narrow44.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 278

Perches ordered, truss ordered... POR15 bought...

Everything for the rear axle is ordered... just need the shafts for the front, the gears and ball joints, some nuts n bolts, and calipers... then the front is done...

Then my CAGE arms/upper/lower buckets/shock mounts...

Then I've gotta fit the 4406 and then almost there!!

Thanks everyone for the help thus far

Si

Well, due to legislations here, when I got the housing narrowed, I had to get it removed from the pumpkin, then narrowed and then put back in... it's not legal for them to just chop 6" out of the middle, put a sleeve in and weld it back together...

Apparently, it's not legal for someone to shorten and re-spline a shaft either.. so nobody does it, so I'll just have to go with the EB shaft... not a big deal

Thanks Jon!!

Si

I mocked up my spacers and rims/tires yesterday for something to do...

Anyway, I have a little concern...

My 2" thick spacer doesn't have a lip on it like a normal hub does, so, all the strain is taken up by the 5 wheel studs... should I be concerned? should I look at something else?

Si

Attachments

• CAM00058.jpg
    CAM00058.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 258

the lip is mostly for center purposes and as long as you have acorn style lug nuts you should be fine. The centers on my rims are larger than the stock lip and I have been running them like that on my truck for several years without problems. And we know how much strain I'm putting on them!

ok, that eases my mind a bit, we had a trailer that chewed through the bolt holes..

and it got me concerned

Si

Well, all the parts have showed up for the rear end to be taken to the shop this week.

For the perches, will they be the same angle as the underneath ones? Or would I need a different angle for SOA?

Si

I mocked up my spacers and rims/tires yesterday for something to do...

Anyway, I have a little concern...

My 2" thick spacer doesn't have a lip on it like a normal hub does, so, all the strain is taken up by the 5 wheel studs... should I be concerned? should I look at something else?

Si

I had the same concern, not having hub or wheel centric adapters is making a weak link in a otherwise very sturdy axle. I ordered a custom hub/wheel centric set from
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/
IMG_20140102_155548_005_Large_.jpg

If was less than $200 shipped and well worth it for piece of mind. If you call and ask for Lenny, he can give you a break on the shipping. Lifetime warranty. I am not affiliated with them, just very happy with their products.

What an awesome thread to read through. I've always wanted to do something like this... Dont really understand the gear ratio's yet or anything, but I'm learning!

Subscribed. Will try to chime in, but lets be honest... I'm of no help :p

progress has been slow... I had a few cash flow issues, got ripped off to the tune of a couple of grand, so purchasing parts has ground to a halt...

Anyway, tonight, I finally dropped of my rear axle off to the builder.... the only question he had was the pinion angle.... and the only thing I can find is that it should remain the same as before... is that right?

I'm doing SOA with add a leaf on a 4dr leaf pack

Si

As long as you aren't messing with the shackles leave it the same.

If you don't have a vibration now then don't mess with it. To set it up correctly you need to find out how much the angle was changed when you put the longer shackles on and adjust for that.

The longer shackles change pinion angle.
The add a leaf changes pinion angle.

The builder wants to set the perches correctly before he welds.
I would think 2-4 degrees change from stock.

ok, I'll have to wait till I get my springs n stuff for that bit then.. thanks... I'm also putting in a 4406... should we compensate for the longer case length too?

Si

Yep, because you might need to shorten the driveshaft. Maybe.

Back