1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

Hello Explorer Fans.

I have been on the forums for some time and have extensively read many threads. I have enjoyed the forums so far. Now I have a question of opinion for you all.

I currently own 97' V6 SOHC Sport and I love it. I was going to SAS it, but Id rather do it to a V8 Explorer, plus, manual TC's are readily available for the swap.

To get to the point, I'm looking at a 97' 5.0 AWD Explorer (166,000 miles) (for a few hundred bucks). It's a solid vehicle, straight but its flashing a few codes. I looked up the codes here on the forums and it appears to be a "simple" fix. It idles well, but has an obvious 'lumpiness' to it. When you accelerate under load, you can sort of hear and feel it. The codes I got were P1132 - Lack of Oxygen Sensor indicates Rich and P1131 - Lack of Heater Oxygen Sensor indicates Lean. Both appear to be O2 sensor issues which may not be that big a deal. The trans seems to shift well with no obvious issues.

I'm very mechanical in nature (I work on my own cars/trucks) and fabrication of all I want to do...is what I do.

I just wanted a few opinions on the success of fixing this issue and any potential things I should look for before i pull the trigger and pick this thing up.

Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Need some confirmation. Im in the process of doing BW4406 swap. I pulled the AWD TC and OMG...in my face - a bucket load of trans fluid came out. From what I have read the only seal is the flat gasket seal that is between the 4406 TC (input shaft seal) and the tail shaft housing....please confirm.

I believe I'm going to install a new input shaft seal on the TC since its already out.

Helpful info (Napa Part Numbers):
  • TC Input Shaft Seal - SKF - 18771 (98/2005) or 18892 (98/2002)
  • TC Input Shaft Seal - Timken 3946 (98/2001)
  • TC to Trans Gasket Seal - SKF 99817

Thread I found: 1999 Explorer Transfer Case Leak

full.jpg

Started BW4406 Swap

Mocking Up Stick location using factory floor mounted boot from F150

index.php

index.php

index.php

Leg doesn't 'feel' the stick or mount in this position. Still unsure on the bulkiness; may consider other options.,,,

WOW I like this write up. This is the 1st picture that I have been able to see that has someone sitting there with the Shifter there. Thank you Gave me visual help :)

Pretty excited today - Friend of mine says he's getting rid of some wheels and tires and told me to come by if I want them...Are you kidding me! Perfect for my project. 33" x 16" on nice Jeep wheels - 5 of them...not 4!. Offset may be off, but should be perfect for the time being w/ spacers. :bounce:

I couldn't walk away for just 'free'...Looks like a new tube bumper is in order for his Jeep TJ. :)

:bounce: - Can anyone shed feedback on the trans seal question asked above a few posts ago...Thanks!

full.jpg

Can't find the spring pin for the alignment hole and the off one is stuck in AWD transfer case. so I decided to make one out of mild steel just big/thick enough to tap in lightly to hold. Anyone see an issue with this method?

full.jpg

Cut to size and with a drill and thin belt sander... Makes for even and round shaping. Don't have a lathe so I must improvise. Worked well!

I'll be replacing input seal tomorrow.

As long as the pin is relatively snug, you’re good to go.

Getting a little quiet here on the thread o_O....

Busy weekend. I was all about getting the BW 4406 swapped in the Explorer this weekend. After a frustrating week of trying to shoehorn that beast in and the constant falling of Arkansas clay in my face, I decided to take the 'easy' route and drop everything out of the way and pressure wash the thing Saturday morning. I cant stand caked on mud and dirt. Every part I touched under the Explorer resulted in dirt in my face and raised frustrations.

Other than the exhaust bolts :angryfire::angryfire: - the rest came out with ease.

Pulled tank skid plate
index.php

Painted and installed
index.php

While I had paint out - decided to hit the calipers before rebuilds - I like to use Rustoleum Satin Black from the quart can and spray on using HVLP touch up spray gun. Get better coverage and more consistent.
index.php

Finally got the BW4406 in. Feels great to be this far into this thing.

BW4406 Installed - I removed the exhaust to help with clearance. I also dropped the tank and pan so that there was nothing but wide open space to maneuver this thing around. The exhaust bolts were a real pain in the :angryfire:.
index.php

The next group of photos will be various shots around the TC to give any perspective not seen before:

Front gas tank bracket: This bracket will need to be bent inward right where the arrow is pointing to clear TC. Its simple to remove and reinstall. I did not have to prop gas tank when I took the bracket out. The strap is plenty strong. If you do drop the tank, especially w/ fuel in it, get help :) Getting the bolt from the strap to the frame to tighten is a real pain in the #%&&...one of those - "Wish I had an arm growing from the center of my chest" moments.

index.php

Top of TC near speed sensor and gas tank for clearance perspective:
index.php

Speed sensor plugged in. Now I don't know if either vehicle has different plugs, when I pulled the TC, I cut all the plugs off to take with me. The one I got has a 90 degree boot on it. Clears nicely over the tank.

index.php

Explorer plug on right - F150 unit i got on left. I will have to extend wiring to reach BW4406
index.php

Quick view of BW4406 shift linkage:
index.php

Shot from rear end to BW4406 -
index.php

Shot from front of vehicle looking back. Looks like I will have to modify the transmission crossmember
index.php

Now that the BW4406 was installed, I could work on the small items that have been on my list of "To-Do's". I added a 2" body lift to the Explorer to give more spacing above everything. I was leary at first if I wanted to install one, but, its paying off in dividends. Lots of extra space and ease of reaching certain spaces under the vehicle.

I needed to drop the radiator. I did not want to cut the fan shroud. It was important to me to keep the factory alignment of things so If I needed to replace anything, it was a 'simple' swap.

First I cut the original radiator mounts off so the radiator could easily drop down the 2" I needed. I also wanted to retain the rubber mounts. I cut the mount right at the base and flipped them and then re-installed the rubber cushion to the mount. It took a bit of trimming to get it 'spot on'. Here it is mocked up in place - I will be adding a gusset as well for strength.

index.php

I needed to create some drop down brackets for the upper mount. I wanted to use a cage nut to make it easy to bolt the radiator in place without having to do a reach around with a nut and wrench when bolting the lower mount. I used some old cage nuts I picked up at Grainger years ago.

I used some 1 1/2" strap and drilled 2 holes. I mocked the radiator with the fan and shroud installed to ensure proper fitment and alignment of everything at 'final' assembly before I drilled 2nd lower hole.

The lower hole will be drilled larger to accept flush mounted cage nut.
index.php

I used an old Witney punch to make holes for spot welding:
index.php

Brackets with cage nuts spot welded in place:
index.php

Bracket installed: I may have to notch out the 'wire way' on the core support to move the loom forward just a smidge to so the bracket is not heavily leaning on them causing any future problems.
index.php

Radiator in place prior to mounting. These cage nuts take 1/4x28 bolts

index.php

:bounce: Even with the drop, the opening in the core support is spot on for full air flow. :thumbsup:

Great pictures, thanks for more views. Whew, pressure washing under a vehicle is no fun, that would have made for a great video.

It is too clean though, go play in some mud and fix that when you're done.

Filled in the gap above the radiator w/ some aluminum I had laying around to ensure full airflow through the coolers.

full.jpg

How does it look on the bottom from the front? I have noticed our Radiators are kinda low to begin with right?

@WormsExplorer - It may appear to hang lower, but its actually sitting the the factory position in the frame with the body up 2" higher. Ill get a shot this evening for you to see.

Excellent, and well thought out project.

Back