2000 v8 explorer oil change

MinorDetail

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer
Hello all,
I'm changing my oil and oil filter today in my 200 Ford Explorer 5.0 and need to go out and buy tools, from someone with experience could you tell me exactly what tools I will need and what sizes. Please and thanks !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd get a 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket set, metric, and a set of wrenches in metric sizes from 8mm to 19mm for starters. You also want an adjustable wrench.

A floor jack, set of jack stands, a hook style oil filter wrench and oil catch pan. some blue nitrile gloves and a roll of shop towels.

1 bag of cheap non odor control kitty litter for cleanup.

Oil filter should just be hand spun on. I think the oil plug is 15mm

You are to be commended for wanting to do maintenance yourself. And, an oil change is as good a place as any to begin learning how to take care of your vehicle. Won't be long before you'll more than pay for any tools you acquire along the way. It's called paying yourself instead of handing over your hard-earned money to some shop.

I encourage you to Do It Right like others here will advise, but in most oil change situations, "If I Had To", I could get by with an adjustable wrench, some paper towels to wipe oil off the filter, and a rubber glove to get a good grip to remove it. If it's on too tight, then you either buy an oil filter wrench or get angry and stab a hole in the side of it with a screwdriver and just twist. ;) (or drill a hole then stick the screwdriver in).

I like to use Motorcraft brand oil filters and a Ford filter specific cup-type filter tool (it fits the Motorcraft filter very well). I also like to put the oil filter on by hand as tight I can and then give it a quarter turn with the filter wrench. This leaves it secure, but not so tight that it's hard to get off next time.

Tips:
Always check to make sure the rubber gasket comes off with the old filter. Sometimes they will stick on the engine and if you don't realize it you'll end up with 2 gaskets, one of which will blow out and leave you stranded.

Do not go nuts tightening the drain plug. Many times I find that some gorilla has tightened the drain plug so tight that it requires a cheater bar to get it loose or that the threads in the oil pan are stripped. If the drain bolt leaks it needs a new gasket/O-ring, not to be over-tightened.

While it's not the easiest thing to do on a filter that mounts at an angel, I put much oil I as can in the new filter before installing it. Doing this allows the engine to build oil pressure quickly instead of dry starting until the filter fills with oil. Also put some oil on the new filter gasket so that it doesn't bind.

And a safety tip - NEVER get under a vehicle raised on a jack alone!! Get a set of jack stands when you buy your jack and use them without fail. Good luck.

Good safety tip!

In addition to my floor jack, ramps and jack stands, I took a couple of 2"x8" planks I had laying around and cut to length and stacked/nailed two on top of each other and beveled the ends so I could drive up onto them. Just that extra 3" of height gives me enough clearance to crawl under the front (like when changing oil) or rear of the truck with total confidence that it's not going to come down on me.

For oil changes I prefer using ramps. A lot easier than using jacks and safety stands.

Good safety tip!

In addition to my floor jack, ramps and jack stands, I took a couple of 2"x8" planks I had laying around and cut to length and stacked/nailed two on top of each other and beveled the ends so I could drive up onto them. Just that extra 3" of height gives me enough clearance to crawl under the front (like when changing oil) or rear of the truck with total confidence that it's not going to come down on me.

Ditto on that, no jacking, just drive right on... (even works on my econo box)

And go to home depot and get a piece or water heater insulation to lay on to pad the job...

I used to have a piece of leftover vinyl flooring that I used for working under vehicles. It was great because you could slide around on it easily, spills were easily wiped up and it was the padded kind so it was fairly comfortable to lay on. I gotta pick up another piece of that stuff.

I just save a stack of broken down big cardboard boxes and lay on those, then if they get dirty, they get thrown away. It's not enough padding for longer jobs but an oil change only takes a minute on your back.

I just save a stack of broken down big cardboard boxes and lay on those, then if they get dirty, they get thrown away. It's not enough padding for longer jobs but an oil change only takes a minute on your back.
I love the "Cardboard Creeper.

I've been using a large piece of cardboard doubled up, but it gets replaced often due to spills. That's why I prefer the piece of vinyl flooring.

I love that, a "Cardboard Creeper." I have several pieces all of the time.

Replacing my cardboard due to spills is exactly why I like it. Minimal cleanup.

I also have a cardboard box that's just the right size for resting a caliper on during brake jobs, but I put a plastic bag over it so only the bag gets tossed out later, because boxes just the right size are harder to come by. It's stuffed full of packing peanuts and taped up like a fortress to better bear the weight of the caliper. Guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.

It doesn't matter what I use for a pad, I can always seem to manage spilling something over the edge of it and onto my driveway. :dunno:

Me too.

Likewise, how many times have you had the drain pan overflow? I've lost count, it's usually because some debris I left in the pan slows the flow at the hole enough, and I see it just before it goes over. Try to catch that mess, and then reach down into it to stick a finger in the drain hole.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back