2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins

Dana 44 out of a 1989 Grand Wagoneer.

My plan is to get as little llift as possible as I dont feel like removing my body lift. So I am using the stock Waggy knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and likely using new waggy steering parts as well and keeping it 6 lug.

I will leave it spring under as to keep the lift minimal, and use 4" lifted springs. Doing it this way will save me from buying high steer knuckles and a high steer setup. Is this best way, maybe not, but it saves me alot money and keeps my lift to around 5".

Now for those who are asking themselves why am I even bothering with this SAS. My reasons are that my Sport Trac goes through UCA and lower ball joints every other month, and I destroy tires in under 8 months. The truck just cannot handle 35's. PLus it will be way stronger than the IFS, and will flex much more than my IFS system.

If anyone has any thoughts/recomendations/concerns, I welcome all the help you can offer.

I hope money does not slow me down, but the cold weather might, either way my goal is to have this done well before Moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what tre are you using on the pitman arm? can you use 1 ton Chevy tre's and rem the arm to mount it on top?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I never thought about using a reamer and mounting the TRE on the top. The setup I used for my steering is the stock Grand Waggy MOOG parts. I already Reamed the bottom of the pitman to accept what is installed now, how will that affect the pitman arm if it is reamed on both sides?

There is no image for it, however if it is a stock arm, that is what I have on there now. And it is not flat.

hmm. maybe scrap yard and get another stock pitman arm? or i think i saw some where you can drill it out and used a tapered insert?

I was just thinking about my shocks, does it matter if the body of the shock is up or down? I know my Fox shocks had to be installed with the body up.

SAS_044.jpg

I was just thinking about my shocks, does it matter if the body of the shock is up or down? I know my Fox shocks had to be installed with the body up.

SAS_044.jpg

Yes, it can matter depending on the shock. My ProComps rode bad until i flipped them. Check what BDS says about installing them.

Oh i have those shocks on my explorer. It says on the body which way they have to be

I already thought about this, looked up the BDS website and it looks like you are good to go.

I've seen a few cases where the shocks run upside down make them pretty much useless.

Well the shocks are fine so I need to stiffen up the front leafs, the drivers side still has the Explorer Gansta lean going on.. The passenger leaf is flat, the drivers is a little negative. Then I need to get the trackbar mounted, and then add a steering stabilizer. When does the $$$$$$$$$ end?

But man is it cool to be driving it again. And the looks I have gotten already, and the pointing to the manual hubs, makes it worth it.

I didn't think leafs needed a track bar??

I didn't think leafs needed a track bar??
They dont but it makes it easier to control on the road if the vehicle has one as leaf springs have lateral slop.

Well last night was fun drive home, I was ready to get on the highway and BAM!!!! My drivers side rear wheel fell off, broke every wheel stud off. After getting it home to put another wheel on and survey the damage I remembered I REALLY F@#$ED UP. I always use my impact to put the lugs on, and then lower the vehicle and torque down with a lug wrench. However I now remember the day I put my wheels on I was interupted right when I was lowering it off the jack, and had to go do something else, and forgot to re-torque them. Luckily my wheels and spacer are still in new condition. The drum took a little beating but is fine. However the fiberglass bed was not as fortunate, it is destroyed on the drivers side. I am embarrased to tell this story, and very pissed at myself for such a stupid mistake.

But on to my question... Does anyone know the length of a 97+ F150 or a 99+ Superduty pitman arm? I read somewhere that these are flat and will mount to a Gen1 Ex steering box. Can anyone confirm this? As I know many of you have these vehicles for tow rigs.. Also heard a 95+ E250 and 350 Vans are similar to a Gen1 pitman with about half the drop.

I've seen a few cases where the shocks run upside down make them pretty much useless.

Too True ! ! ! Actually increases the axle wrap on the rear when installed incorrectly!

Chad - Great job, looks awesome; really like the overall height.

Paul
'91 Sport

Little tid bit: The damage to the bed side if you wanted to make an insurance claim can be handled as Comphrensive, since the tire struck it, *Part of the vehicle striking another part is handled as Comp, but if you have damage to your axle from it striking the road, Insurance would consider that a Collision, *called Road Bed collision*
**Or at least thats how i would handle the claim :)**

Little tid bit: The damage to the bed side if you wanted to make an insurance claim can be handled as Comphrensive, since the tire struck it, *Part of the vehicle striking another part is handled as Comp, but if you have damage to your axle from it striking the road, Insurance would consider that a Collision, *called Road Bed collision*
**Or at least thats how i would handle the claim :)**

Thanks for the heads up. The only damage is the bed side, and a little grinding on the drum. There is some light damage to the plastic cladding but that can be sanded and repainted. I found the bedside at Ford dealer for 374.00 but then I am sure I will have to paint it.

Do you have a parted out ST? I thought I remember you saying you had one.

As far as I know, full size Bronco's (80-up I assume) F-150's (80's-90's?), Econoline vans, Ranger's (up to 97') and BII's share the same steering box as the first gen. As for the year spread on each of the vehicles that had them, I only know for sure they were on Ranger's up to '97 but that leaves you a lot vehicles to choose from for the stock flat pitman arm.

Here's a site that carries the TRE inserts if you go that route:
http://www.bcbroncos.com/steeringlinkage.html

Back