3800 M90 Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well Idk now.i didn't want to install it till i had the tune but more i search it seem like people have been installing and running just the 3lbs of boost on a stock tune.so i might install it as is now and pull the timing retard plug out to back my timing down some and try and rich my a/f up some till i figure out what to do for a tune.then when i figure out the tune im going to do injectors,fuel pump and new charger with smaller pulley.i think.wishing i went with the stage three kit for my trans now so i might rebuild it when it blow with the stage three or may just go 5speed,i just don't like wheeling a 5speed

Here's a calculator that will give you an estimate of injector size. As I understand it if you use water/meth you can actually be running it pretty lean from a gasoline standpoint and the water/meth will make up the difference.

http://www.watkinsmotorsports.com/F...l/wmfit_calculate_injector_size_required.aspx

I'd give James Henson a call and get his thoughts also.

I posted in his thread about tuning .yea i just don't wanna run to lean tho.if i had a knock sensor or stock compression i would feel much better.i would rather loose a little power and be safe than risk it.tuning is going to be a itch for sure!!its going to take alot of time and money before i can turn the boost up for sure.also i gota get my accord fixed before i can start any work on this truck.i just need to figure out all the details like maf,injectors and tune!!

I posted in his thread about tuning .yea i just don't wanna run to lean tho.if i had a knock sensor or stock compression i would feel much better.i would rather loose a little power and be safe than risk it.tuning is going to be a itch for sure!!its going to take alot of time and money before i can turn the boost up for sure.also i gota get my accord fixed before i can start any work on this truck.i just need to figure out all the details like maf,injectors and tune!!

Do the fuel pump, maf, and injectors at the same time as you do the blower install. Then you can tune when you get the time. Or you can do the fuel pump before the blower/maf/injectors.

See that's what i don't understand.i know the maf has to be programmed for the injectors but doesn't the ecm have to be programmed to read the maf and injectors pulse rate?what do you think needs to be done to just run 3psi?i can do fuel pump that's no problem but wasn't trying to do the maf and injectors till i went with a new charger and tune

Also is there any stock vehicle that i can use the injectors and maf from so i don't have to buy a custom maf and have it programmed?i have a 70mm now and would think that's big enough if i could just swap the electronics.if i went with 24lbs injectors i know i can do all that.so really need to figure out what size injectors i need.aaaarrrr so many questions:(

I sent James a PM to see if he could help with this thread.man i hope he chimes in because i def need all the help i can get haha

When you swap to larger injectors there are 2 ways to get the computer to use them properly:

1. A MAF with electronics calibrated for that size injector
2. Tuning the computer

Now even if you put in a calibrated maf you still might need to tweak the computer tuning later to get it all perfect. But at least with the calibrated maf you should be able to get by more safely without tuning the computer. That's how I got away without a tune....I had enough fuel but obviously the computer was pulling timing based on the intake air temps. If I had tuned it then I could have taken care of the timing part.

Check this out:
I think it tells exactly what vehicles to go after for matched MAF and injectors.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/calibration.html

O sweet so 30lbs do come in a stock vehicle !!yes James (ronin ) is the man,he's the one that helped me with my original motor build,he's full of knowledge;)so maybe i just hold out and get all this together before i install it and just install the 28 pulley.should be 6psi and tune when i figure that all out.

Turns out the injectors I have in a box are 28lb injectors.
See this chart: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

The part number I have is 0-280-155-710

No wonder my truck was throwing rich codes in both banks. hahaha

JD, do you want them? If so, pm me shipping info.

Hahaha Dang.you have them installed now?where did you get them?ill have to see if i can find a maf to match.28 prob would be perfect.think 24 would be on small side and 30 seem on the large side.let me check ebay and see what maf electronics came with my maf when i bought it,it was 20something

I bought them while I was having my missfire code issue. The guy on ebay advertises them for our motor, and I didn't do my homework.

Anyway, they are not in my motor, and I will never use them. They are yours.
From the looks of the chart, if you get a ford 5.0 MAF, you will be tuned.
The chart says the 28lb injectors are from Ford 5.0 5.8 4.6 v8
You will need a few new O rings with them though. I can ship them out tomorrow.

I bought them while I was having my missfire code issue. The guy on ebay advertises them for our motor, and I didn't do my homework.

Anyway, they are not in my motor, and I will never use them. They are yours.
From the looks of the chart, if you get a ford 5.0 MAF, you will be tuned.
The chart says the 28lb injectors are from Ford 5.0 5.8 4.6 v8
You will need a few new O rings with them though. I can ship them out tomorrow.

I got like three gaskets kits from rebuilding my motor laying around unless i gave them to xeek when we built his motor.your have to give me 2weeks tho before i can spent any money.1st of the month and rents due and this charger put a hurting on my pay check;(i have a maf from a 5.0 but they came with many different size injectors,i would need to find one for 28lbs.i think think the one i have is for 21lbs

Hey just glad to help and watch how this thing turns out. :thumbsup:

Man wish i would have got that oil pan and stand alone from you now!!

is there a vehicle that came stock with 24 or 30lb injectors ?

24lb --- you already know, 93-95 Mustang Cobra. The mass air is calibrated for 19lb injectors but the computer program compensates.

30lb --- 89-93 T-bird Supercoupe.

36lb --- 94-95 Supercoupe.

Just pm me your shipping info. I don't remember asking for any cash. ;-)

I'm happy to help out.

24lb --- you already know, 93-95 Mustang Cobra. The mass air is calibrated for 19lb injectors but the computer program compensates.

30lb --- 89-93 T-bird Supercoupe.

36lb --- 94-95 Supercoupe.

How about 28lbs?what would you suggest for 8-10psi boost?

Back