3800 M90 Build | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea what im thinking:(to me all signs say cracked head.but seeing bubbles in the rad and slight water in oil

Yeah bubbles in the rad would be the tell tale sign. Pick n pull is half price this weekend if you want to go get a motor just to putt around. Complete motor would only be like $100 this weekend, I might go get a spare 302 haha

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well the first parts have been ordered.havent done any more test or taken anything apart yet.still need to order head studs,upper and lower intercooler gaskets also.i plan to use my heads for now if they test out good.i just dont wanna spend any more than i have to,would rather drop it into my SHO instead.

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
1992 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6
FEL-PRO MS94764 Exhaust Manifold Gasket $ 4.29 $ 0.00 1 $ 4.29
FEL-PRO 545SD Cylinder Head Gasket $ 30.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 30.79
FEL-PRO MS94682 Intake Manifold Gasket $ 25.99 $ 0.00 1 $ 25.99
FEL-PRO VS50368T Valve Cover Gasket $ 22.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 22.79
FEL-PRO 544SD Cylinder Head Gasket $ 34.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 34.79
Discount $ -5.93
Shipping Ground $ 21.84
Order Total $ 134.56
:rolleyes:

they make blue valve cover gaskets now. isnt red the stronger ones? dont want the boost to blow out your valve covers lol

autozone sold me a set..

blue is the super duty.hope these heads are ok because looks like im looking at just over $500 for gaskets and studs:mad: plus cost to have the heads tested:thumbdwn:

Nice to see your getting started on fixing up your motor.
I hear ya on the costs....when is enough enough? I think if I blow mine up again I'd have to think really hard about fixing it.

I'm looking forward to watching your rebuild.
Let us all know as soon as you know about your heads.

oh really? damn. well if you feel the need to trade me i will. i got brand new blue ones.

yea i hope everything comes out straight, and your only issue was the gasket blowing out

i got blue ones too:Dnow to get the rest next week.shooting to start tearing it apart in march:salute:

the headgaskets dont appear to be any different but from what ive read they use stainless in them and they do seem heavier.ill do a side by side sometime and post the specs

20130211_190531_zps79ac6fc2.jpg

well big change of plans.i found the solution to my deceiving hp numbers....:shifty_ey:shifty_ey

IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

picked up this ugly fellow yesterday.its a 1994 4.0 ohv 5 speed with 115,000 miles.......you see where im going with this??:D:D
so the sc motor is coming out of the explorer,getting new heads and asp is building me a new crank pulley.im then putting the sc motor into the ranger and taking the ohv thats in the ranger and putting it into the explorer.im going to put my old 95tm heads on it,high flow pump and cam.basically just a fresh gasket basic motor.

i really need something that is more reliable and cheap/easy to fix on the trail or miles away from my house.dont really want to be bouncing of the rev limiter and climbing mountains with my sc motor anymore.

i shooting to break 300 hp easily with my motor in the ranger.im upping my boost to 14 LBS and also going to be spraying a small 35 shot nos with W/m.just with my new heads and a 5 speed at 10 LBS i should hit 300 HP.ive talked to many people that have run boost on the 2.9 and they say that if you iat temps are good and have a good tune that 20 lbs is about the max a bottom end will hold.3 of them run this amount daily.the 2.9 is basically the same motor as the 4.0.also there is two people putting out over 300hp in the 4.0 running boost and nos.they all agree that for a bone stock bottom end it should hold boost just fine.im not bone stock so they say i will be just fine with 14 LBS so im go till it blows!!!:D

im trying to sell my sho but as soon as thats done im going to try and pull the rangers motor and swap the sc motor into the ranger all in one day.the ranger is a 94 so EVERYTHING including my chip should swap right over.im going to start ripping the ac/ac box,radiator and as much crap out of it now and replace it all with the explorer parts till then.all the wiring of my gauges,fans and ic is the part im not looking forward to,BUT LET THE FUN BEGIN!!:D:D

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

you have lots of work ahead of you .

What size of pulley are you ending up with?

you have lots of work ahead of you .

What size of pulley are you ending up with?
Idk yet.gota do some measuring but going with about the biggest I can.going to try and get where my 2.7 sc pulley give me 14 lbs

SC and a 5 speed let the burnouts begin!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha thank God I'm not keeping the tire that are on it...they are melted already
That thing is going to haul ass, if you can get it to hook up!
This is going to be a problem but I'm going to roll the fenders and stuff a really wide street slick on it.I'm doing a explorer disc rear swap to 3.73 ls with an extra clutch and with track bars.I have a feeling I might be starting in second gear.

It has 3.08 open it it now and I can start off in second and just melt these little tires I have now!!! For being stock this thing has CRAZY BALLS.its pretty ####n fast.only thing is I gota learn how to drive a stick again:( been years and I have already been missing shifts, but I guarantee by time these times are bald and I hit every red light in va beach, ill be right back at home.hole shot is where I always was good at and would pull couple cars off the bat, the NOS would keep me ahead:D

so took and washed it today and i swear it changed colors.this thing has never been washed from the looks of it.it also has a horrible oil leak.the valve cover bolts were loose but dont think its all coming from there.also has a PS leak where the hose goes into the pump,prob just a bad oring.all pretty minor as it will get all new gaskets when i pull it.the plugs and wires all look OE,i changed the plugs and they definitely were ready.i also built an intake for it out of spare pipe i had laying around and cleaned the maf(was covered in gunk)going to start ripping all the ac crap out this week and hopefully get the efan installed and wired by next weekend.guess i need to start a new thread,but cant think of a good name for the truck.....any suggestions:dunno:

this is outa 3" or 3.25" so its def a over kill and the hood sits right on it but its temperiory and as soon as the efan goes in the pipe ontop the shroud will sit much lower,gots a nice GROWL to it tho
20130323_180657_zps162a2da9.jpg

20130323_180707_zpsb64b06fe.jpg

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout: :fart::fart::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

i like where this is going :D. as for a name, just tossing it out and all, how about super booger. you know, super, for supercharged, and booger cause.....well, you know. lol.

Well after a long night on ""closed roads and parking lots"" I can say my shifting is back on point and even learned a little drifting!!! Hahahah what I can't say is how much gas I used and how much tread is left on the tires!! :) I wish I had someone with me to vid it.I was doing some NASTY doughnuts and some figure 8 drifts around two islands in a parkn lot..o how I missed a 5 speed but my knee from my bike wreck awile ago is freakn KILLN me this morning

seems like everything will swap right over but you may need another cowl induction hood. :biggthump: :popcorn:

Well the plan for now is to cut the hood.then I can see how big of a cowl ill need.I have a 3" body lift in the explorer and its tight.but I also have solid mounts that raised the motor up about 2".from the looks of the ranger I won't need mounts that raise it, I'm actually going to try and build a set that lowers the motor some.but hell I think having some of the supercharger sticking out the hood my look cool and probably help cool it some, just can't drive in rain or the belt will slip;)

i like where this is going :D. as for a name, just tossing it out and all, how about super booger. you know, super, for supercharged, and booger cause.....well, you know. lol.

Hahaha it won't be green for long tho;)

Well after a long night on ""closed roads and parking lots"" I can say my shifting is back on point and even learned a little drifting!!! Hahahah what I can't say is how much gas I used and how much tread is left on the tires!! :) I wish I had someone with me to vid it.I was doing some NASTY doughnuts and some figure 8 drifts around two islands in a parkn lot..o how I missed a 5 speed but my knee from my bike wreck awile ago is freakn KILLN me this morning

couldve had me come out. :rolleyes::D our rangers wouldve looked like christmas racing down the road hahaha

Back