4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

I looked up the sensors for an 02 and I had actually found them before when I was trying to find it but the connecter doesn't look like it will line up, one of the ridges? the part that slides in the grooves on the plug is offset on the ones for the 98 and centered on the 02. I dont suppose you would know of any ideas to work around that, I really dont want to put another plastic one in.

RA also sells electrical connectors if that's your only issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious... I am not finding the Simmons Autosports version, but found this one LINK
this is my second option of metal I found LINK2
My ride 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L Gas

Is it me or does the first linked item look like your pictured one @donalds?

I can tell by looking since I have both of them.
The first link is to a Austek version.
The second link is the Simons autosports version.

Curious... I am not finding the Simmons Autosports version, but found this one LINK
this is my second option of metal I found LINK2
My ride 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L Gas

Is it me or does the first linked item look like your pictured one @donalds?
I'm pretty sure both will fit fine just preference
The Simmons is better because it's one piece
Yes I run the austekk first link

Compare this to what's in your explorer
2005 ford explorer metal thermostat housing - Google Search
Zabteck Performance - Austekk Aluminum Thermostat Housings

Choose your poison, LOL
Either way your better off than the plastic one.
I just had my last plastic one start leaking and I replaced it with aluminum.
This was on my beater 1998 4 door with 312,000 miles. LOL

I got a question about the Austek one. I know that the 4.0 L SOHC engine for before 7/24/2000 has a upper radiator hose outlet that is taller/ high angle then the ones, from after 7/24/2000. I bought a plastic one to get me by for awhile on my 2001 explorer sport that was made 9/1/2000, so it has the lower angle upper radiator hose outlet. Does the Austek have the lower angle upper part or the lower angle one?? I want a metal one to replace the 18 dollar one i bought. This photo shows it. On the left is the post 7/24/2000 low angle upper radiator hose outlet. On the right is the pre 7/24/2000 higher angle upper radiator hose outlet.

Thanks,
John

Annotation 2020-02-14 095116.png

Yes they make one e mail them :)

I put in a Simmons Auto housing in my 2010 Explorer a year ago. Probably has 15k miles on it. No problems.

I got a question about the Austek one. I know that the 4.0 L SOHC engine for before 7/24/2000 has a upper radiator hose outlet that is taller/ high angle then the ones, from after 7/24/2000. I bought a plastic one to get me by for awhile on my 2001 explorer sport that was made 9/1/2000, so it has the lower angle upper radiator hose outlet. Does the Austek have the lower angle upper part or the lower angle one?? I want a metal one to replace the 18 dollar one i bought. This photo shows it. On the left is the post 7/24/2000 low angle upper radiator hose outlet. On the right is the pre 7/24/2000 higher angle upper radiator hose outlet.

Thanks,
John

View attachment 178316
Hello everyone.
I have a douh. My trucks engine is 4.0 L 6 Cylinders OHV or soch? I have ada Explorer 2000 4 wd. I will send a picture.
I woul apreiciate it.

IMG_20200220_110041.jpg

no estoy seguro de lo que me estás preguntando

usted tiene un motor ohv

OHV

Why are your pictures moving/changing?

That's cool! Keep us informed on the durability of the two piece aluminum upper.
A few have used RTV between them and have had no problems so far.
Its interesting to see what works and what doesn't.

Had a temp sender fail
But still no leaks
Dam sender is 40$

I’d love to get my hands on an Austek and take a crack at TIG welding the bottom two parts together, as well as the bypass hose joint. If it works, you could have a solid metal housing for cheap.

Although welding cast Al isn’t the greatest of times.

I always thought it would be interesting to watch cooling system pressure. Would be informative to see what it runs on a day to day basis.
Then if a head gasket starts to fail or the head bolts start to stretch you would be able to see a difference in the pressure readings.
I remember seeing a guy who invented a pressure failsafe device for the Superduty 6.0L Diesel.
Monitoring coolant pressure could be useful for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been using the plastic $18- one for a year and a half and 30k miles. Ok so far and holding my breath, "knock on wood". I want an aluminum one and hoping that the sensors that came in the plastic one would work in the aluminum if necessary?
ADDED: Who makes this one that I found on E-bay?Ford 4.0 SOHC Aluminum thermostat housing

Back