4" lift springs with add-a-leaf?

R.J.

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
La Habra Hts, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Bronco II
just thought i would ask, i have 4" stupid lift springs that saged down pretty good. if you put and aal in would it raise it at all? or would aal only help on stock hieght springs? i would assume they wouldn't work since the arch is already four inches more then stock, but i have a set of aal's in the garage and the thought has crossed my mind "hmm what happens if i put those in my lift springs?"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes the more leafs you put in generally the more lift you get.

aals are actually wuite arched, it should work....

superlift is known for having not flexy springs though, so it will probably be even less flexy with the aal

Remember, the explorer has a spring under axle configuration. That means that if the AAL doesn't add to the arch of the rear springs it will actually lower the rear the height of the spring. Sooo.. if the AAL has enough arch it will help.

~Mark

they flex good how they are, so im gonna put some longer shackles on to bringit back up a little. but i just looked at my springs and they're looking pretty sad :( aal's might help straighten them out :/

eh

102_2571.jpg

102_2570.jpg

for free? how?

i think we're the third owners of these. they're really really old. came with the entire 4" superlift for $290

You also still have the spring clamps on. If you bend them out the suspension will droop more. But those springs look pretty bad.. Time to buy a new set.

~Mark

I forgot to mention I ended up breaking the 2nd set, after they looked like yours in AZ no less. The top two leaves cracked right where your bend is. We ratchet strapped it up, and drove home. I would definitely get a new set, especially with that heavy bumper you have back there now.

anyone have a set they want to sell real cheap? :D

I would just go back to a stock spring, and put them over the axle. that should get you your 4" or so back;)

I would just go back to a stock spring, and put them over the axle. that should get you your 4" or so back;)

This is my plan of atack in the near future since my 4 inch lift springs are doing the same thing as RJ's
any one interested in welding on some perches for me?

Be careful with going to SOA. You get the height of going SOA AND the height of the spring pack and the arch of the spring.

I plan to be going to SOA with a custom leaf pack with no overload. You also have to make sure the spring perch is as low as possible on the axle or you will get extra lift from that too.

~Mark

...i would also suggest talking to black goblin as he did the soa this summer and quickly went back...he can give you some insight too...;)

I SOA'd and got waaaay more than 4". I have 4" superlift up front and the back was ridiculously high whilst SOA'd. I went back to what I had after wasting a ton of time trying to get it right. I tried XJ springs, combined the springs with stock springs, tried stock springs, stock springs with no overload, etc. The XJ springs were so soft, they completely dearched, its a long sad story. Be warned, SOA will probably get you more than 4" of lift.

SOA_024_Medium_.jpg

soa is typiclly 5.5-6"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with the wieght i have in the back, i would think an soa would get me about 4-5" of lift, this would be with two door springs too.

what if i do a dual add a leaf with extnded shackle? it'll be stiff, but i don't want to dish out the money for some deavers yet. just looking for options

Back