Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lookin' good dood! :cool:

Thanks man!

I found this at the Junk Yard a few months ago while looking for a used gear set. Got it and 4.10 ring and pinion for 60 bucks. :)

Auburn 8.8 31 spline limited slip I think I am going to throw this in the Merc.
CIMG0425.jpg

So I went to the Junk yard this morning and saw a F150 sitting on the other side of the fence.
CIMG0533.jpg

Look what was underneath ...
CIMG0534.jpg

Lucky for me someone took the transmission so it was easy to get out. Unlucky for me they didn't leave all the linkages and parts for the shifter. I didn't take the driveshafts cause I didn't know the lengths I needed. So that is next on my list.

Well went to the junk yard this morning to get a couple coil buckets off a older Explorer twin traction beam I took 5 batteries got the first one off, but it was so cold my batteries puked on me before they were fully discharged since they have over load protection. So I have to go back and finish grinding the last 2.5 rivets off once the batteries are charged.

CIMG0536.jpg

great progress and looks awesome so far, im waiting for my dads XJ to take a crap on him so i can steal the D30 out of it. ill hopefully be doing a very similar swap this summer .I'm probably going steal some of your ideas if that's alright, especially the 3 link setup. what coils are you going to run?

great progress and looks awesome so far, im waiting for my dads XJ to take a crap on him so i can steal the D30 out of it. ill hopefully be doing a very similar swap this summer .I'm probably going steal some of your ideas if that's alright, especially the 3 link setup. what coils are you going to run?

Yeah that is fine if you like what you see copy it. I have some Skyjacker coils I am going to try but they might be too tall. Don't know it. I think I am going to do radius style arms instead of the 3 link. Maybe 3 link it later. I just want to get it rolling so I can wheel it.

It will be like this...
-bds-6-5-long-arm-vs-skyjacker-6-lift-kit-xjlt1_01.jpg

looks like a solid set up nice job. how long are the arms not including the joints? are they TTB coils? if there too tall you may be able to cut them, so long as there tangential coils. may stiffen up the ride a tad bit but cheaper

I haven't built the arms yet. That is just a pic of what they will look like. I will post a length when they are done. Coils are from a Jeep so not sure if they will work of not. They might work just fine. Won't know for another week or so when I start the front. Weather here has been crappy so I have not been working on it much. Hoping the weekend after this one will be the weekend I start the tear down on the front. I just need couple days to get the axle in place and then after that I figure out the track bar and steering.

what type of jeep springs some are tangential which can be cut and some are square which cant, and im not sure if the jeep coils will fit in the explorer buckets, they will prob have to be slightly modified. cant wait to see this thing finished.

I bet the jeep springs will be too soft. I have 8" tj skyjackers on my ranger and wish they were a little stiffer.

what type of jeep springs some are tangential which can be cut and some are square which cant, and im not sure if the jeep coils will fit in the explorer buckets, they will prob have to be slightly modified. cant wait to see this thing finished.
Skyjacker 6 inch coils. I was already thinking I might have to add a plate and tube to the Explorer bucket. I am just hoping the brackets save me some fab time.
I bet the jeep springs will be too soft. I have 8" tj skyjackers on my ranger and wish they were a little stiffer.
Yeah I figure they might be. Maybe some good Rancho 9000s I can adjust some firmness into them. I will figure it out one way or another.

I wanna start tearing the front apart today so bad. But I know I can't afford to have my garage taken up for long. I do a lot regears and lifts for Jeep guys and everyone is getting there Tax returns so they want there gears done. I am going to try and leave my garage open Friday so I can start the swap. I have been wanting to do a swap like this for a few years.

yea modyfing a set of buckets will be much easier then completely fabbing your own, the jeep coils may be a bit soft but i have seen a few guys on here that run them and they didn't really have any complaints in there SAS thread.

So I worked on the coil buckets a little.

As you can see they don't fit so fab time...
CIMG0541.jpg

CIMG0542.jpg

CIMG0543.jpg

CIMG0544.jpg

CIMG0550.jpg

CIMG0546.jpg

Just tack welded them for now to make sure they won't interfere with the coils. For bump stops I will slide a smaller tube inside once I figure where I want them to stop.
CIMG0552.jpg

Back