How to: - A4LD DIARY - PT 2 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: A4LD DIARY - PT 2

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Thank you very much!! I will look at his site as soon as you post the PN. Thanks again man.

--Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Brain, I was gonna try and go get that Governor today from Ford, have you had a chance to get that Part Number yet??

Thanks
--Ryan

The basic part numbers are as follows:
7A300->gov. valve body
7C054->gov. valve (primary)
7D324->weight (gov. outer)

I think Glacier posted that the govenor also comes as an assembly (he's worked with Torrie at Ford Parts Network):
http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com

Brain, I come up with:

Valve Body 7C063, Valve 7C054, Spring 7A302 and weight 7D324. I do not know what a unit assembly number is. Actually the part that wears badly is the body, replacing it alone would do the trick. (Check the weight, but it is steel riding on aluminum).

Yeah, I just got the numbers out of the ATSG manual while you have access to those wonderful CDs. I didn't even list the spring becuase I didn't think that could go bad. I agree that the weight couldn't go bad and replacing the primary valve and body should be enough.

Carfreak - if you want to add the "upgraded" govenor spring and return spring, now would be the time to get it in there.

Brain... actually those were from the A4LD factory manual. I wonder if the 7A300 is the entire assembly? While I am at it, would it be helpful at all in part 4 to show how the FORD Transmission tester operates so people would at least know what the dealer CAN do (if they have anyone capable?)

ps. for Brain: thanks for the sharp eye and keeping me honest, I'll fix that in the thread. Debating owning up to it though <g>.

The 7A300 is on the exploded diagram and lists only the body, so I doulbt it is the entire assembly.

It would be kind of helpful to see what a "proper' diagnosis could entail (if the stealerships would ever open up and use the tools at their disposal instead of just saying it needs a new tranny).

Just change the pics....nobody will ever notice ; )

Brain said:
The basic part numbers are as follows:
7A300->gov. valve body
7C054->gov. valve (primary)
7D324->weight (gov. outer)

I think Glacier posted that the govenor also comes as an assembly (he's worked with Torrie at Ford Parts Network):
http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com

So I need all three of these PN's to replace the governor on the Tranny??

and Brain, I'm not gonna upgrade it at this time, I'm just gonna test it and see if its the problem (by first cleaning the factory one and testing it, THEN, if that doesn't work replacing with a new one, and if that doesn't work, I'm just gonna do a tranny swap).

Thanks again
--Ryan

The body is probably the only thing that would need replacing, as it is what the steel weight get stuck against (and it is aluminum - so the body wears first).

So either part 7A300, or 7C063...I'm not sure if they changed part numbers or what is going on with that.

ok thanks, I will try and pick it up tonight, and test it if cleaing the existing one doesn't work... thanks Brain.

--Ryan

I'd simply say DO, or don't. It's gonna be a lot of work to pop the transfer case on and off and then repeat it. If you think you may replace the governor body with a new one - do it. It's better than a cleaning and will in all liklihood never need it again. Cleaning COULD necessitate another repair in the future. So I guess I am saying, don't do it in two parts, if cleaning it doesn't work, it probably wasn't the problem. I'd recommend replacing the body myself.

Back