After 80,000 Great Miles, MFT Still SUCKS! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After 80,000 Great Miles, MFT Still SUCKS!

Good question

Rebecca,

Would you elaborate on what the dealer fix does for the NAV?

She will duck this I bet. Not because she doesn't know, but because it has been shown that Ford does not want to act like other responsible software companies (yes they are partially in the software business now) and release bug fix reports. If she tells us this then it would be expected that she tell us all the other changes in the upcoming MFT soon to be released early August (fi you believe rumors).

If she can provide the TSB number then we can see what is written on that. I have asked her to clarify if this "fix" she has suggested in this thread is actually valid for 2011 and 2012 models years, I will be surprised if she answers this direct question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rebecca,

Would you elaborate on what the dealer fix does for the NAV?

It's for the GPS module, vfral1; that's about all I can say. Your dealership will be able to provide more information.

... I have asked her to clarify if this "fix" she has suggested in this thread is actually valid for 2011 and 2012 models years, I will be surprised if she answers this direct question.

It's not the same TSB number for the 2011/2012s, but it's the same fix, tucker_bmd.

Rebecca

Lame

It's for the GPS module, vfral1; that's about all I can say. Your dealership will be able to provide more information.

It's not the same TSB number for the 2011/2012s, but it's the same fix, tucker_bmd.

Rebecca

I'll give you kudos providing some type of reply. Even only if it's probably what your management has decided you can tell customers. But you have to admit, nothing you stated answers vfral1's question ("that's about all I can say"), so I'll call it lame at best. You know this, on forums you are going to find some pretty savvy/techie folks who are used to dealing with software and hardware and used to getting (and providing) useful information about the products they pay good money for, so when Ford is mum about MFT it ticks some (well at least me I can't speak for all) people off.

Rebecca

Any chance you'd be able to give the TSB number? I have been having this problem lately as well.

I'll give you kudos providing some type of reply. Even only if it's probably what your management has decided you can tell customers. But you have to admit, nothing you stated answers vfral1's question ("that's about all I can say"), so I'll call it lame at best. You know this, on forums you are going to find some pretty savvy/techie folks who are used to dealing with software and hardware and used to getting (and providing) useful information about the products they pay good money for, so when Ford is mum about MFT it ticks some (well at least me I can't speak for all) people off.
I see no reason to take this out on Rebecca. She has given you all the info she has or is able to give out. In each case she has added that your dealer should be able to provide more info. So contact your dealer if you are not satisfied with the answers you are getting and see if they can satisfy your need for information.
As for myself, I don't need to know all the ins and outs of an issue as long as I can take the vehicle in and have it fixed.
Keep up the good work you do on our behalf Rebecca. :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Bill

My wife never answers her phone, either! LOL!! And the kids? Forgetaboutit. They only text.

Keep in mind the system needs to "learn" your voice. Cadance, inflection, tone, for example. So, if your not using the voice commands very ofter, it's not getting an education on your voice pattern. The system learns with time, and does improve.

Just a thought.

I didn't know or don't remember that it needs to learn my voice. I will make an effort to use the 'voice' more offten and see if it gets better. I just tend to lose my temper with it easily...lol

It's not Rebecca's fault. Ford is an automobile company. Not a software company. They should have never taken development in-house. Rebecca is just here to try and help. However, I'm sure she would be in trouble with Ford if she actually told us what we want to hear which is what is actually wrong with the Nav. Ford thinks a lot of us need to just know where the problem is, and not what it is. It's business. They don't want us knowing too much so we don't complain that much.

My wife never answers her phone, either! LOL!! And the kids? Forgetaboutit. They only text.

Keep in mind the system needs to "learn" your voice. Cadance, inflection, tone, for example. So, if your not using the voice commands very ofter, it's not getting an education on your voice pattern. The system learns with time, and does improve.

Just a thought.

I have to agree with this, I have seen a noticeable improvement of the voice recognition after using it more often.

It's not Rebecca's fault. Ford is an automobile company. Not a software company. They should have never taken development in-house. Rebecca is just here to try and help. However, I'm sure she would be in trouble with Ford if she actually told us what we want to hear which is what is actually wrong with the Nav. Ford thinks a lot of us need to just know where the problem is, and not what it is. It's business. They don't want us knowing too much so we don't complain that much.

I have to agree with this. Just think how much the car companies have learned about their customers. Now, too much information is a bad thing. For example, thats why oil pressure gauges are just analog idiot lights.. otherwise people complain when they see oil pressure drop at idle when its 110F out.. Even coolant temp gauges nowadays stay in the midle for longer and when the vehicle gets hot it moves a lot, really fast.

and back to the orig. issue (MFT sucks). My dad just bought a new 2012 (got one of the last ones around I guess) Esacpe. He didn't want the newer ones because he hated the Radio and other controls. It was just too complicated for him to figure out (he rented a 2013 for a month before deciding to buy the 2012 or a 2013).

So, while infotainment systems can be nice, if they aren't done right they make things worse.. Even more so when they don't work correctly all the time.

~Mark

Rebecca

The reason I ask is to determine if it is worth my time to take it to the dealer.

If I recall correctly, the problem that Bill #4 explorer mentioned regarded two issues; slow function of the nav and losing all of your saved favorites during a reset.

While my nav is slow on occasion, I would not go through the hassle of trying to explain a problem that I may or may not be able to replicate with the dealer. However, if the fix will allow me to save my favorites to a USB drive prior to doing a reset, then it would be worth my time to stop in at the dealer.

Rebecca, if you are still following this thread, can you tell me if the dealer fix will allow me to save my favorites?

Thanks.

The reason I ask is to determine if it is worth my time to take it to the dealer.

If I recall correctly, the problem that Bill #4 explorer mentioned regarded two issues; slow function of the nav and losing all of your saved favorites during a reset.

While my nav is slow on occasion, I would not go through the hassle of trying to explain a problem that I may or may not be able to replicate with the dealer. However, if the fix will allow me to save my favorites to a USB drive prior to doing a reset, then it would be worth my time to stop in at the dealer.

Rebecca, if you are still following this thread, can you tell me if the dealer fix will allow me to save my favorites?

Thanks.

It will not, vfral1.

Rebecca

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help.

Any chance you'd be able to give the TSB number? I have been having this problem lately as well.

This might be what Rebecca (Ford) can't (won't) tell us.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3177195&postcount=39

That is what this forum (and the web and internet in general) is about, getting useful information. Some people, at least me, don't have time to be running to the dealer. So to get info like this is great, now I can decide if a trip to the dealer is worth my time and also, for all you techs and service advisers, don't take this the wrong way, when it comes to software and hardware (not the internal workings of my air conditioning or turbo charger) allows me to help steer the service department in the right direction. Hopefully minimizing the amount of my valuable time (and trips) needed at the dealer.

I was accused of taking it out on Rebecca, well this is why. Web forums, among other reasons, are about exchanging info, and when Ford sends employees out to join us but then limits what they can tell us I for one get annoyed. They have info or answers (she most likely knew or could have easily got this TSB number) but can't share. Kinds of goes against why people participate in forums, at least in my experience.

... I was accused of taking it out on Rebecca, well this is why. Web forums, among other reasons, are about exchanging info, and when Ford sends employees out to join us but then limits what they can tell us I for one get annoyed. They have info or answers (she most likely knew or could have easily got this TSB number) but can't share. Kinds of goes against why people participate in forums, at least in my experience.

Since I'm not a certified technician and can not diagnose issues, your service department should be the first place you go for things like this. They're the experts; I'm here to jump in and help with basic troubleshooting, escalating concerns, and keeping everyone informed as best as I can. I appreciate your honesty, and I'll forward your feedback about my level of participation to the appropriate people. :)

Rebecca

That is what this forum (and the web and internet in general) is about, getting useful information. Some people, at least me, don't have time to be running to the dealer. So to get info like this is great, now I can decide if a trip to the dealer is worth my time and also, for all you techs and service advisers, don't take this the wrong way, when it comes to software and hardware (not the internal workings of my air conditioning or turbo charger) allows me to help steer the service department in the right direction. Hopefully minimizing the amount of my valuable time (and trips) needed at the dealer.

thanks!

Well, to make matters worse (or maybe eventually better) Rebecca, Ford, and whoever will be sharing very little if anything. Why, because of the law suit just filed against Ford and their MFT/Syn failures.....Now with the Suit pending I'm guessing it's anybodys guess weather or not anyone will ever see the late Summer fix or update that has been promised.....I mean how's it gonna look, if it doesn't fix all or much of anything with the MFT system....Just a lot more fuel for the "Suit". Everybody better plan on dumping their vehicle before the MFT warrantee runs out, because your trade-in value with this generation MFT is soon really going to tank.......big time!

re nav

Well, to make matters worse (or maybe eventually better) Rebecca, Ford, and whoever will be sharing very little if anything. Why, because of the law suit just filed against Ford and their MFT/Syn failures.....Now with the Suit pending I'm guessing it's anybodys guess weather or not anyone will ever see the late Summer fix or update that has been promised.....I mean how's it gonna look, if it doesn't fix all or much of anything with the MFT system....Just a lot more fuel for the "Suit". Everybody better plan on dumping their vehicle before the MFT warrantee runs out, because your trade-in value with this generation MFT is soon really going to tank.......big time!

I have nav and I thought I would be able to find speed of vehicle Help this old guy THANKS

<clip>... Everybody better plan on dumping their vehicle before the MFT warrantee runs out, because your trade-in value with this generation MFT is soon really going to tank.......big time!

You first! :rolleyes:

I don't have any MFT issues and even if I did, the ESP will cover any problems after the factory warranty runs out. Besides, my lease is up March 2015. :)

Peter

This new fangled electronic :) is why we got an extended warranty on our '06 mustang.

However, some people keep their vehicles way past the extended warranty time. Heck, we are 120k miles past our 100k extended warranty..

Depending on how well MFT was working for me would directly corrolate to how long we would have kept the vehicle... Our '06 has been doing well (electrically). The only issue so far is some issue with colors flickering on the "my color" dash which appears to be broken/loose connection and is a $500 or so fix. One of these days I'll take care of that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Anything that has a 30%+ failure rate right out of the box is NOT ready for typical consumer market. Car manufacturers (not just ford) need to make sure these new things work well and will work for a long time otherwise people won't want them.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Now with the Suit pending I'm guessing it's anybodys guess weather or not anyone will ever see the late Summer fix or update that has been promised...!

Per this press release, plum, we're still going forward with the update:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=38169

I have nav and I thought I would be able to find speed of vehicle Help this old guy THANKS

Hi, imbett,

Our navigation system does not provide the speed of your vehicle; that's a good one to post on Your Ideas! Here's the link to do so:

http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/

Rebecca

Back