Big bear questi0on

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
I havent been to big bear in a few years and would like any advice on which trails i can take and which would be too much for my rig to handle. Its only a 2wd so i know thats a limiting factor. just looking at an offroad map and wondering what trail numbers to try...any help???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you going alone or with other vehicles? I would say the majority of trails in Big Bear are OK for a stock 2wd vehicle and most of the rest will have obvious bariers at the beginning of the trail... but I still wouldn't recommend anyone do trails up here alone with 2WD.

All the USFS ranger stations have maps available. If a route is on the forest service map and not barricaded, it's probably passible by high clearance 2WD. On the other hand, we did a run not too long ago covering portions of John Bull and Gold Mountain and the two (lifted) 2wd vehicles with us had to be strapped numerous times.

I may have a scanned map somewhere... if so I will post again.

No not alone it will be myself and one other vehicle which is also a 2wd. we already have a good tset of tow straps just in case. Ive been though holcomb valley a few years ago and didnt have any problems up there but we just wanted to explore a little more this time.

Best bet IMO is to just head up, grab a map, and start exploring. When the first truck gets stuck then just turn around! :p
J/K, anyway most of the roads are fine with a 2x4, and when in doubt stick to the routes that are marked with a green circle/easiest. 3N12, 3N14, and 3N16 are the three main ones.

Hope that helps!

Just a quick note that the Willow Creek trail (just east of Hwy 173) is currently closed from the Pinnacles staging area all the way to Dishpan springs due to a recent fire. If you run this end, you'll need to use paved roads between Cleghorn and Dishpan.

Back