Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 122 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

okay now I have to go research this additional T case goodie the black box dealio
You guys sure are good at spending money I have not even made yet

410 you don't need money, you live in Idaho

52e196e1_lighten_up_francis.jpeg

I thought Keven was running the 1354 based d.d.machine doubler in front of his atlas. That is the dubler I am running and thought when I talked to him in Moab he had the same one. I could be wrong.

And Brian, a few posts up you said you were done. Now you are talking about a doubler. It truly never ends.

I'm done for now, just little stuff. Doubler is on the "drive it for a while then see if it needs any more upgrades" list.

Haven't done much with the Explorer lately. Today I changed out the winch rope on my Warn 8000. I had 125' of 5/16" rope that is about 15 years old. I never liked how light and thin it is, and its a little beat and faded, so I ordered 100' of 3/8" from Sidetracked Offroad. Its black with little reflective bits in the outer weave. I ran out of room with about 10' left over so I had to shorten the rope. Luckily the thimble came off easily and I used it again. So now I have 92' of 3/8" winch rope on the spool. I stashed the old rope in my recovery gear bag which already has a 75' piece with loops at each end. I got asked what I was doing by two different neighbors when I was pulling the Explorer up the street to the hitch of the Silverado.

I swapped out my engine coil with one from Accel. Its supposed to add a tiny bit of performance, but what I noticed is it removed the rough idle the Explorer has had forever. That was worth it right there.

Changed the transfer case fluid. Sealed up the bottom cover that has a slight leak and swapped in a 41 tooth speedometer gear. Will take it for one more drive before I install the skid plates.

Three weeks ago I had my second pancreatitis attack. First one was over two years ago and lasted about 24 hours. Stupid me, I figured I would wait this one out so I didn't go to the ER until after 24 hours of stabbing pain. Doctor told me I was stupid, then admitted me to the hospital. My pancreas was real angry. I spent the weekend on a IV with all kinds of good stuff, but nothing by mouth. That's the standard treatment for pancreatitis. I had a sonogram, a CT, a MRI and several blood tests, but they could not find the cause. Thursday, I had a consultation with a GI. I have a endoscopy and endosonogram scheduled for January 7 because he wants to wait to make sure everything is not still pissed off as the procedures can set off another attack. If he finds anything treatable with a scope, he will do that while I am out. Long story short, I am stuck staying within driving distance to a hospital until they figure out what's what. The good news is with this restricted diet, I have already lost 12 pounds. I am still not 100% and get light-headed if I over-exert myself so I am taking full advantage of our Netflix account.

Being restricted to hanging around the house is not good for my wallet. I am spending money on the house, on the vehicles, etc.

I just ordered an all aluminum radiator and all new hoses for the Explorer because I always thought the plastic/aluminum radiator is a weak link. Especially the way the 1999 intake sits on top of the upper hose fitting at the radiator and its pushed down slightly by the hood. It might not be a issue, but I don't want to find out 50 miles from a paved road.

I am going to look at a 6-lug 14 bolt rear axle with disc brakes for my Silverado later today or tomorrow. My 2008 1500 has a 10 bolt rear axle with drum brakes. I have always hated the brakes, they just suck. I tow horses around with it on a regular basis. I really like the truck, it has 25,000 on a completely rebuilt under warranty engine, so I am not going to go out and get a 2500. From what I can find on the interweb, its nearly a direct swap with the same ABS plugs and everything. If its the right one, and the right price, I will pick it up and put it in the backyard for a future swap.

gman, I got nothing else to do around the house but mess with the Explorer. My house really doesn't need anything done, and I am not good at sitting around.

You can order me some parts if you like:thumbsup:

Seriously, take care of yourself....need to go wheeling again...

14 bolt for the win! the 10 bolts suck
Take care of yourself first
When Im stuck at home, sick or layed up I spend lots of time doing research about stuff I wanna build. Like cabins, natural swimming pool, micro hydro dam, and of course trucks and off road machines!!
Hope all goes well thanks for keeping us in the loop
Put the credit cards down!
Youcan always watch my favorite Canadian on the interwebz, Gale Von Oxly and her show "Till Dept Do us Part" money money money money money

I don't have any debt, except the house payment.

I have been spending time at my parents house going through everything and tagging what I want. On target to sell their house early next year. Anybody in the market for a 2600 sq ft one-story house on 1.5 acres in Del Mar, Ca with a 1,000 sq ft shop/RV garage that's in unincorporated county but still only 4 minutes from the beach?

Sounds like you need to sell your place and buy your parents place.

Get yourself better. We need to do Dusy and or Rubicon this summer.

Sounds like you need to sell your place and buy your parents place.

Get yourself better. We need to do Dusy and or Rubicon this summer.
If I was an only child that house would be in the final stages of renovation and I would be moving in. As is would have to buy out my siblings and would end up with a very large mortgage. Not something I want at this time of my life.

Dusy and the Rubicon sounds good.

Anybody know if there are any aftermarket OEM length leaf spring shackles? Maybe I should just make my own out of 3/8" plate.

These are 1/2" longer than stock, and will give 1/4" lift. Best I could find when I was searching for the same thing.

Lasercut, & 3/8" thick. You will need to open up the holes a smidge for your bolts tho. Can't beat the price for what you get tho.

Rock Tactics 3/8" Thick, 6" Shackle Plates, Set of Four

I use their boomerang 6" shackles, and haven't had any issue with them.

Edit: I just read the description again, they are 5" eye to eye, so actually 1/2" less, and you lose 1/4" lift.

dang parents house sounds like a gold mine, somebody will want that sucker....CA real estate = win win
Dang siblings

These are 1/2" longer than stock, and will give 1/4" lift. Best I could find when I was searching for the same thing.

Lasercut, & 3/8" thick. You will need to open up the holes a smidge for your bolts tho. Can't beat the price for what you get tho.

Rock Tactics 3/8" Thick, 6" Shackle Plates, Set of Four

I use their boomerang 6" shackles, and haven't had any issue with them.

Edit: I just read the description again, they are 5" eye to eye, so actually 1/2" less, and you lose 1/4" lift.
I wouldn't mind 1/4" lift, but don't want to lower it any with those Maxxis tires. Its not on my short list of things to do. I do have a replacement set of frame to shackle bushings whenever I get around to this. What is the benefit of boomerang shackles? Ballistic has a set for about twice what Rock Tactics wants, but they are 6" hole to hole.

I have all the parts to replace the radiator with the 3 core aluminum one I ordered. Its made by Champion and seems to be very well made. Might get to that this week, but I am having another issue;

I have noticed recently that the 700R4 transmission torque converter isn't locking up with the switch in 2nd or 3rd. Having the option to lock it up really cuts down on heat buildup due to friction. The way its wired is like this;
tcc_diagram.jpg

It automatically locks up in 4th (OD) and I can feel it. It has a brake light interrupt so when you apply the brakes it unlocks, and I can feel that. What I can't feel is it lock with the switch in 2nd or 3rd. The blue wire in the diagram is the manual lock up wire. There is power going to the transmission for both the automatic lockup and the switched lockup, so it must be the blue internal wire. I called Bowtie Overdrives and got someone helpful. He said it is as simple as it looks. The switched wire bypasses the solenoid to activate the pressure switch, locking out the torque converter. I should be able to feel it lock and unlock. If the pressure switch and solenoid are operating when the trans is in OD, then it has to be that blue wire not getting power to the pressure switch. He also said if I stick my ear to the pan, I should be able to hear the pressure switch click on and off. Might have to drop the pan on the trans, again..

Edit: I extended the tubing on a old stethoscope so I could reach in and flip the switch and taped it to the trans pan. No click, no clunk, no nothing. Guess I need to drop the pan, again...

My Boomers are 6" eye to eye, and they call them 6". They also call the straight version a 6", so I thought they was 6" eye to eye as well. Read it again and seen the 5" eye to eye after i shared it with you. That's a crappy feeling to think you helped somebody, then realized you actually didn't. :(

Boomers are used for a couple reasons. Mostly when main leaf lengths have changed. My leafs are 2" longer than stock to move the SUA axle back 1". This put the leaf bushing back in a position that stock length shackles, would bottom out on the frame too soon. It was either move the frame bushing box back, longer shackles (which I dislike), or the Boomers. For my application, the boomer's was the best answer. It allows the leafs to articulate and a full swing of the shackles, without moving the box, due to the geometry.

Back