• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Brian1 91 XLT 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
No guesses so I will just put up some pictures. It is mounted to the crossmember just above and forward of the rear axle. Just enough room to squeeze in an Optima! I got the ground wired up but I have yet to hook up the rest of it. At least I could jump myself if I needed to with my own cables. I also put in some slightly taller rear axle bumpstops as an insurance policy for the rear axle making contact which I dont think will ever happen. I made an additional bracket off the shock crossmember to act as a stabilizer for the battery which is not pictured. I was worried about stress cracks from vibrations over washboard roads but now it is really solid and does not move at all.

Attachments

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I have done a little more to get the dual battery set up for use. I have all the cables ran except for the solenoid switch to charge it. I have a circuit breaker on order to protect the cable run from the front battery to the rear. Power is routed into the cab via a bulkhead stud and then to a 6 way fuse block. Plans are to run my CB, GPS, HAM radio and 2 12v outlets 1 of which is for the ARB fridge off the battery. Lights and OBA will remain on the starting battery for now.

Attachments

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
I like it, nice and clean. Where did you get the bulkhead fittings from? I got some from Summit once but you have to drill a pretty big hole to install them.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..Any pics of the in cab switch?...:scratch:

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
..Any pics of the in cab switch?...:scratch:
Havent got that far yet! Just finished wiring all the accessories just a little bit ago. Also I just installed a newer GPS so Im going to have to learn quick!

Im going to use a basic toggle switch wired to a ignition on source. I would like to put it just below the rear defroster and rear wiper switch but I dont know if I can drill through there - I havent been able to get my fingers behind it or remove that pannel.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..Really interested in what you are using as a "basic toggle switch" to toggle between the batteries..Are you also using a solenoid relay?

..BTW, if you are just storing that old pos baja gps, I could probably take it off your hands..You know, just trying to help you out and I've got the space..:D

Scott B.

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
That's so nice of you, Ted...

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
..Really interested in what you are using as a "basic toggle switch" to toggle between the batteries..Are you also using a solenoid relay?
Look a few posts up, 2nd picture down shows the solenoid. It is rated for constant duty. It only needs a little 12v current to it to connect it to the the front battery so just a basic toggle switch will do.

....BTW, if you are just storing that old pos baja gps, I could probably take it off your hands..You know, just trying to help you out and I've got the space..:D
Does Harley know how to use it? :D

I really liked the 540c but I found a really good deal on a newer HDS 5 Baja which doesnt require an external antenna which makes for a neater install in my Explorer. Sorry Ted but the 540c will still be in one of my other vehicles.

Scott B.

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
Brian,

What happens with the battery down there when you go through a deep water (or mud) crossing?

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Brian,

What happens with the battery down there when you go through a deep water (or mud) crossing?
Then my Optima and pretty battery mount get dirty :p:

I dont think its an issue. First, its a sealed battery so nothing should get in or out. Second, I have been through lots of deep water over the years with my starter being below water (direct to battery) and front and rear winch quick connect power cables (always on, direct to battery) being submerged with no damages done to any of the electrical system.

And mud, well then I have bigger problems as it is higher than both the axle and most of the frame!

Scott B.

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
I guess I meant splashing mud...

It never fails - I go through 6" of mud, and the underside of my truck collects about 500 lbs. of the stuff. :eek:

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..First...Harley has navigated for me for years so letting her use a GPS would be beneficial..:p:

Second...I didn't see any specs on the solenoid relay so thats why I missed it...It appears to look like my 200 amp Stinger solenoid relay on my Ranger but it could be another option if we knew the info/specs as I know you always find the cool stuff..:D

..And I was with Brian on his last deep water crossing..That battery is safe as Brian don't want to cross any more water...hahaha

..And I didn't even say anything about dimple dies...:scratch:..but it's simply amazing how many holes are in that battery box...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Thanks for the update reminder Colin, My auxillary battery system is still working great. I did mount the switch in the lower pannel under the headlight, defrost and rear wiper switches.

I also installed a rear hatch dome light bypass switch a while ago, here is the writeup on that: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360926

I also tore into the engine and removed the front timing cover since my gasket was leaking through the water pump passage which is common on the 4.0 ohv. Timing chain looked ok, I would have replaced it but no one had it in stock so I just put it back together with the new gasket. So far so good!

Nothing else new that I can think of, I have been out Exploring the trails and everything is working good.

Last edited:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 2010 XLT 4x4 - Stock Explorer Registry 0
W 1999 XLT 4X4 for the boy Explorer Registry 9
X 2005 XLT before and after :) Explorer Registry 5
L 2015 Explorer XLT Explorer Registry 0
A Search and Rescue K9 vehicle (2009 Explorer XLT ) Explorer Registry 0
D 94 4dr XLT "Red Dragon" Explorer Registry 6
C John's '98 XLT Explorer Registry 1
Indispensable Explorer James' 95' XLT 4x4 Explorer Registry 11
9 Sean's '96 XLT Explorer Registry 3
B my 94 xlt junkyard dodger Explorer Registry 9
C '02 XLT & '68 Bronco Explorer Registry 5
Philly73 Philly's 2016 XLT Explorer Registry 3
J 06 Explorer XLT Explorer Registry 0
M Fred's 2016 XLT Explorer Registry 1
C Kent's 2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L EcoBoost Registry in So. Calif Explorer Registry 0
S 2005 XLT 4.0 Flex Photos Explorer Registry 0
1 My 2004 XLT Explorer Explorer Registry 3
B Explorer #5 - 2006 XLT V6 Explorer Registry 54
M Max's 93 XLT 4x4 Explorer Registry 37
0 2000 xlt Explorer Registry 0
Alan519 New 2016 XLT Explorer Registry 0
W Wbrudi28's 2004 4.0 XLT 4x4 Explorer Registry 0
A red 1993 ford explorer xlt 4 door Explorer Registry 0
U 2003 Explorer XLT - Daily Driver getting modified. Explorer Registry 2
C Stephen's 92 xlt Explorer Registry 2
J 2000 Explorer XLT Explorer Registry 1
0 CK 2003 Explorer Sport XLT Explorer Registry 16
S 2008 xlt Explorer Registry 3
I 92 ford explorer xlt 4x4 Explorer Registry 1
J 1998 Xlt that I got for free. Explorer Registry 0
P Penske's 96 XLT AWD 5.0V8 XplodR Explorer Registry 1
X My 2005 Explorer XLT V8 AWD Explorer Registry 13
R Ryans 97 XLT Explorer Registry 1
1 1999 explorer xlt black on black lifted Explorer Registry 2
J Another XLT on the boards Explorer Registry 4
F FPGT24's 1998 Explorer XLT SOHC registry Explorer Registry 8
C 98 5.0 XLT Expo/FF POV Rig Explorer Registry 28
D Derek's 02 xlt 4.0 Explorer Registry 16
T Mike's 2000 XLT Registry Explorer Registry 0
I 1994 Explorer XLT Explorer Registry 2
Blue91Ex Blue's 91 XLT Explorer Registry 162
RyansX 1998 Explorer XLT Explorer Registry 38
H My '93 XLT Explorer Registry 4
I 94 Explorer XLT Explorer Registry 1
W 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 Explorer Registry 12
grandfunk Spencer's '00 XLT 4WD Explorer Registry 10
F Fiero Thomas 97 XLT 4X4 Registry Explorer Registry 14
I 1997 Ford Explorer XLT Explorer Registry 1
N my two 94 XLT's Explorer Registry 1
M My 99 XLT 4x4 New Project TT,Shackles,31" A/Ts With Before and After Pics!! LOOK!! Explorer Registry 10