How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Thanks, yes the cost for controllers and stand alone PCM's is really high. I do wish one of the aftermarket operating systems could control the 6R, I don't think they do though, but it is a rarely swapped trans so far. I'm considering using a 2003-2005 PCM for my 302 based project, with the 6R, those are faster and better to tune with than prior PCM's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you run into any that wouldn't shift properly? I'm wondering if I've got something wrong with the linkage on my '99 Ranger. I can move the shifter at the case and it's very firm but does move properly. But the linkage itself is not smooth at all.
To adjust the linkage put the T case in 4 hi and the shifter in 4hi, the shifter parks right on the little tab on the "gate" and that is where you snug everything down
The linkage arms should move quite easily, it takes barely any motion to go from 2wd to 4hi on the fly
If it is not smooth then you may haver the incorrect "linkage arm" as there were a couple of different lengths.

Thanks! I should be able to get a good look at it tomorrow and try that adjustment as well as seeing how long the arm is.

I just pulled a shifter w/boot out of a 97 f150 that looks like this

transfercase_009_Medium_.jpg

My question is where are the bolts located for the bracket that bolts to transmission and linkage that goes to transfer case and what size wrench will I need (Pictures Please of Location)?

I just pulled a shifter w/boot out of a 97 f150 that looks like this

View attachment 423809

My question is where are the bolts located for the bracket that bolts to transmission and linkage that goes to transfer case and what size wrench will I need (Pictures Please of Location)?

Also, I just got the shifter linkage out, that was an all-day project just for 2 bolts and a bushing

1637808296364.png

now maybe I will go back tomorrow morning or Friday to get the front drive shaft, possibly check out the transfer case too. Slowly but surely, it will get done. 😎

Also, I just got the shifter linkage out, that was an all-day project just for 2 bolts and a bushing

View attachment 423887

now maybe I will go back tomorrow morning or Friday to get the front drive shaft, possibly check out the transfer case too. Slowly but surely, it will get done. 😎

Has anyone ever had any problems with vibrations after doing the swap?

I can fix the vibration with a custom transmission mount that moves the 4406 to the pass side 3/8"

View attachment 340172
View attachment 340171

Some F150 or expedition front shafts may also be about 1" too long, which can be removed from the slip yoke and be made to fit.
Finding good f150 or expedition driveshafts used can be a challenge, most scrappers dent them with the forklift.
Private party is a good source, ebay too.
Buying new the cost has gone WAY up. Summit/Speedway sells a nice wiy driveshaft kit in many styles and lengths I really like those for the price. Always use Spicer lifetime U joints......

I have done about 20ea 4406 conversions to date in Rangers and Explorers

410Fortune, how much do you charge to make this custom transmission mount? And if the transmission is pushed to the passenger side 3/8" to accommodate the front drive shaft won't that affect the alignment of the rear drive shaft also causing a vibration there?

No it will not
I cannot tell you how many years and hours of research have gone into this subject.

Over the years every once in a while like 1 out of 5 swaps will have a nasty vibration somewhere around 60 mph
Using a double cardan front d shaft, vibration still there.
Adding the vibration dampers to rear axle and t case, 3rd shock, balancing shafts etc… vibration still there
So an elite group of dudes on this forum and several other ranger forums over the years started
To dissect the issue, some driveshaft experts chimed in, info was found from all around the web. With the 4406 under our trucks the front driveshaft angle is actually too good, there is not enough angle on the shaft and u joints which can actually cause vibrations.
So the fix I suggested was the RE location and heavy duty trans mount

Crap! I typed out a whole explanation of how we got here and it got erased before
Posting dang!! I am on my phone this am I will come back and explain more when I am at my pc
Was
Like 4 paragraphs!! Sob

No it will not
I cannot tell you how many years and hours of research have gone into this subject.

Over the years every once in a while like 1 out of 5 swaps will have a nasty vibration somewhere around 60 mph
Using a double cardan front d shaft, vibration still there.
Adding the vibration dampers to rear axle and t case, 3rd shock, balancing shafts etc… vibration still there
So an elite group of dudes on this forum and several other ranger forums over the years started
To dissect the issue, some driveshaft experts chimed in, info was found from all around the web. With the 4406 under our trucks the front driveshaft angle is actually too good, there is not enough angle on the shaft and u joints which can actually cause vibrations.
So the fix I suggested was the RE location and heavy duty trans mount

Crap! I typed out a whole explanation of how we got here and it got erased before
Posting dang!! I am on my phone this am I will come back and explain more when I am at my pc
Was
Like 4 paragraphs!! Sob
Ok, you don't have to go through the whole thing you have been doing these swaps for a while now, so how much is one of these heavy duty trans mounts for the relocation?

Oh man well I am getting ready to build another one for my own personal sport trac build so I guess I could do two or more

The energy suspension mount I use is like $45 on Amazon unless it’s gone up
Prothane 6-1604

I would be like $150 for me to build you one and paint it, plus shipping. I could do $200 and include the correct f150 urethane mount
I made cardboard templates for this since I have now built about 5 of these for friends and family lol

Pm me if interested!

Oh man well I am getting ready to build another one for my own personal sport trac build so I guess I could do two or more

The energy suspension mount I use is like $45 on Amazon unless it’s gone up
Prothane 6-1604

I would be like $150 for me to build you one and paint it, plus shipping. I could do $200 and include the correct f150 urethane mount
I made cardboard templates for this since I have now built about 5 of these for friends and family lol

Pm me if interested!

You said "Over the years every once in a while, like 1 out of 5 swaps will have a nasty vibration somewhere around 60 mph" if I have a vibration when I have completer the swap then yes, I will want one, but won't know until then especially since you said every once in a while, 1 out of 5 swaps will vibrate.

That is about right!
If it is not broken don’t try to fix it
I have been lucky none of the trucks I have converted seem to have the vibrations

Also I believe most of the trucks w the problem have been 4 door explorers, I have not seen a sport, sport trac, or ranger with the vibes

That is about right!
If it is not broken don’t try to fix it
I have been lucky none of the trucks I have converted seem to have the vibrations

Also I believe most of the trucks w the problem have been 4 door explorers, I have not seen a sport, sport trac, or ranger with the vibes
Well that's reassuring because my v8 xlt is a 4-door ex😬😧😢

Has anyone heard of and/or used a remanufactured 4r70w trans from Xtreme Performance Automotive? Are they any good?

Has anyone heard of and used a remanufactured 4r70w trans from Xtreme Performance Automotive? Are they any good?
That really should be in a separate thread.

Just got my June Issue of FourWheeler Magazine. They have a complete write up of this very swap, what parts are needed, how to do it, etc. Opening photo is of a very familiar 1st Gen Explorer.

Just got my June Issue of FourWheeler Magazine. They have a complete write up of this very swap, what parts are needed, how to do it, etc. Opening photo is of a very familiar 1st Gen Explorer.
havent looked but is it brian? i rmemeber seeing a fourhweeler article with his X before! or is it rick? :D

I believe its Brians. 2-tone tan/brown 1st gen Explorer with large driving lights mounted to the bumper.

oh! his other build then, not the trail truck! super cool!!! i really should subscribe to fourwheeeler ;)
I believe its Brians. 2-tone tan/brown 1st gen Explorer with large driving lights mounted to the bumper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was surprised to see it in there when I got mine especially considering my Explorer has nothing to do with the story! Verne (author) is a friend and we have been talking a lot about his Explorer build which is pretty cool. Hopefully I can get him to an Explorer run/meet or at least on the trail with me before his Explorer goes under its final stage. That photo was from a Utah trip we did a little less than a year ago, his truck is behind mine. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, I'll put a mention of it in my registry when I get time.

Back