Cooling redo and setting the 96 4.0 OHV up for some towing, got some questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooling redo and setting the 96 4.0 OHV up for some towing, got some questions...

DP96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
New Berlin, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4WD
Ok guys, I did some searching, but there is less than ideal info, so I figured I would post up here...

1996 XLT 4DR 4WD 4.0l V6 with 44k miles on it now. I just bought a Curt 13106 Class III hitch and should have it in next week. I don't do a lot of towing, but as it stands I might be doing some at the end of the month (3500lbs or so for maybe 150-200 miles).

I am also redoing the cooling system in the next few weeks (leak in the radiator where the upper transmission cooler fitting is leaking coolant, not taking chances it is just a seal with a 24yo plastic end tank), so that means new radiator, new coolant hoses, new thermostat, new waterpump (might as well at 24yo).

First off, any recommendations on brand/model for radiator/waterpump? ie, are any "head and shoulders" better than the rest for both longevity and performance?

Next, what would be my best bet for an extra transmission cooler? I drive in the cold of Wisconsin, so I would believe I don't want to bypass the cooler in the radiator, but do I want to add a thermostatically controlled valve to the auxiliary cooler to make sure it doesn't cool the transmission fluid too much? I already run synthetic transmission fluid. All other fluids are also all synthetic as well.

I just want to make sure I am able to tow properly without worrying about damaging anything short or long-term.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always liked hard parts from NAPA. They seem to be of better quality than the other auto parts stores. Sorry I can't help with the transmission cooler, I run manual transmissions in most of my vehicles.

Looking at your pictures in the other post, I noticed that your Explorer is equipped with the larger radiator (2 row) that is installed with the "towing" option. This radiator also has a large transcooler already installed, it is a 6 plate over the standard 3 plate transmission cooler, I know this because when I had to replace the radiator in my 97', I cut the old radiator open and removed it (im a hoarder). I got my rad. from RA, it was made by TYC and fit perfectly and had new transmission line fittings in the box, it cools extremely well!

Thanks for the info...

I looked at the TYC and it does look like a quality unit. The one that every auto store around here carries (including NAPA) is the Spectra Premium brand which is almost the same price as the TYC on RA. My concern is shipping something like a radiator is damage during shipping. With the Spectra Premium being local the best price is Autozone at almost $50 cheaper than the same radiator through NAPA. Kicker there is "lifetime warranty" so if it ever goes bad, as long as I have a receipt and the radiator didn't die due to physical damage, I would get a new one over the counter, so the extra $20 savings via RA is negligible.

In reading at Advance Auto Parts, it seems their version of the radiator has fitment issues (which seems to be the APDI/PRO available on RA). I even have a bunch of Perks-Bucks available to use at Advance as well as discount codes, so it just sucks they have an inferior product available. I would have to imagine if everyone else (including NAPA) has gone to the Spectra Premium one it has to fit 100%.

Well, that decided it... 20% off and next day home delivery on Autozone... Picked up the radiator, hoses and new clamps for close to what it would have been shipped just for the radiator from RA. (I am not going to worry on the delivery, as I already checked and if it is damaged I can exchange it at any local Autozone that has it in stock)

Now, anyone have any info on the best waterpump option? The one from Advance Auto that has a lifetime warranty is an Airtex waterpump.

The V6 transmission is not a strong unit for towing etc, but better cooling is one of two best upgrades. Installing a VB kit and replacing all solenoids and accumulators, plus all Sonnax little kit items, will help function the most. Very few people do that, but I did when I bought my first 91, then my 93, then my 99 etc. It's a big job to dig into the trans and VB, but very worth it, at any mileage or for any purpose.

The cooling needs a much larger extra cooler for towing. If the 96 model also has the built in thermostat, then you cannot go too big(it switches at 15* or so). Your VB may not have that, so it could be you need to monitor temps after upgrades to be sure you keep temps above a low point, say about 120 maybe. In Winter it could be possible to get that low if the front cooler is super sized.

I'm going to make an external line thermostat from an engine version, but haven't had time yet. Using a marine T'stat, I'll end up with a low point of about the same 150*, which would be great if it works.

CDW6212R, funny you mentioned the valvebody, because that was the first mod I did... I put in a totally worked valvebody with all the upgrades and shift kit stuff already installed, all new solenoids, etc, so I should be set (I also readjusted the bands and changed the fluid to Valvoline synthetic along with a bottle of the red additive) and a pan with a drain plug.

In regards to adding a cooler, for as little as I will be towing, is it still worthwhile to add an auxillary cooler? As I said I don't tow much at all (once or twice a year, if that) and not very far (usually 30-70 miles, sometimes up to 200 miles), but if I can add a cooler that won't hurt things and will help long-term that is fine.

A light towing trip I would call ten miles, over something like that the heat buildup could be great if the stock system isn't up to the towing. I went 170 miles with my 98 to tow my 99 truck home, and that was with the V8 trans. I was worried, but it did fine.

My point is one trip shouldn't really hurt anything if everything is in great condition. But over time many trips may, so I'd add a cooler anyway for insurance. Even a small unit like the OEM extra cooler is a decent improvement.

Well, I got in a Spectra Premium radiator, and I have an Airtex waterpump on hand. Both are "lifetime warranty" items, so hopefully they will last a long time. If I ordered a Motorcraft waterpump I would end up getting it in sometime next week. I really want to get all of this done this weekend, if possible.

I already picked up the line adapters for the transmission cooler lines and am just researching options for a cooler to mount in front of the AC condenser at the bottom. I really don't feel like removing the whole front end to install a cooler (which seems to be the "norm" for mounting a cooler further up), so I will build some brackets and mount the cooler at the bottom.

I ordered up an 11" x 6" cooler for the bottom of the condenser. I also ordered up a Filtran 3/8" magnetic inline transmission filter and will pickup another set of transmission line adapters and some 3/8" transmission hose to plumb the filter into the uppermost transmission fitting (basically, filter the transmission oil before going to the coolers). I will also plumb the new cooler after the lower fitting in the stock cooler before the fluid goes back to the transmission. That seems to be the most usual way to plumb an external cooler to these transmissions.

With synthetic transmission fluid I figure I am done then with transmission/cooling upgrades.

The extra fitting adapters and with all the rubber transmission hoses, it should be a simple job to change fluid in the future after a drain. I also plan on changing out the external transmission filter every 30k miles.

You could add a normal external filter for easier changes, plus they hold a quart(FL-1A), and are super common.

The magnetic inline filters are a great idea too, the versions which catch near to 3 micron particles are worth it.

Attachments

• Projectthread110.JPG
    Projectthread110.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 66

Back