Demo1986 first build: Project AT-AT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Demo1986 first build: Project AT-AT

hello everyone i've been on this site for awhile and slowly have been saving money and building my project. i had an 01 ford ranger 2wd that i started to build with the little knowledge that i had. the ranger wasnt much in performance but looked kool. the more i hung out in forums and went to meets in the desert i started to learn more and i figured out what i wanted.

i wanted a truck i can hit over 45 in the desert and when ever i went to trails i would switch to 4wd and have fun there too. so i sold my ranger and bought me a 4wd ranger so i can start the build. BUT i hated the fact i would only fit 2 ppl in it and i also didnt want to be another desert ranger so i sold that ranger (and made a profit) and i bought myself a 2002 sport trac 4wd with all the goodies and with 43,000 miles on it. for a steal!!

after 2 years of saving and playing musical trucks i finally bought this:
-Dixon 4x4 LT Kit
-Tubular upper control arms, with bushings and balljoints installed
-Boxed plate lower control arms with bushings and balljoints installed
-Shock hoop with crossbar
-Complete front axles with custom length heat treated shafts and high angle 930
CVs
-Steering Tie-rod Extension
-Brake lines, Limit straps, bolt kit
-Dixon cross member(aaron threw that in for free)
-Fox 2.5x8 coil overs
-Deavers G50E
-Mcneil 6" fenders for the front and 3" for rear

what i need to get:
-Fox 2.0x10 bypasses for the rear(in stock location for now)
-15" pro comp 1079
-33's or 35's good year mtr's

all the ordered parts should be in my hands early next week. aaron doesnt have the axles for the front so ill be 2wd till he gets the axles. i am also saving for the Dixon cantilever for the future.
46784a87.jpg
07b64cb0.jpg

i really want to run 35's but they might rub on the inner fender and i should probably run 33's does anyone have issues like this?

also i want to know if anyone have used the camburg upper arm heavy duty brakets and if i should install them while i have it apart.

i will post picks as soon as i have my parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mcneil glass. 6" front and 3" rear and my new to me 33" mickys. got them from a member on another forum

83f31143.jpg
20e54ca0.jpg
bbcac8ae.jpg

some updates
2.5x8 fox coil overs
b2628abf.jpg

camburg upper arm re-enforcement kit
fbc99d69.jpg

deaver G50E
7223bf17.jpg

15x8 Ion wheels
d58583e0.jpg

warrior shackles
a2a2c95d.jpg

longer u bolts
2d36da78.jpg

Dixon kit: uppers and lowers, straps, and lower cross member
d74b126b.jpg

Dixon kit: shock hoops and cross bar
d9f02939.jpg

i still need to order new caster/camber kit and rear shocks which will be 2.5x10 resi's

I ordered it the first week of dec and didn't arrive till the second week of feb. Then 2wks later I got the shock hoops and cross bar.

I'm gonna run my stock 4.10s since I just have 33s.
Randall I will be running newer shoes. Those look kinda shot. I hope my "AT-AT" ever looks like that! Haha

its been awhile bu the kit has been on for a few months now. i've taken it to gorman and pismo so far and i'm happy with the results so far.

heres the installation
DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

these are the camburg gussets for strength
IMG_1865.jpg

dixon upper shock hoop
IMG_1867.jpg

top crossbar that was to long so i had to cut,chop and weld to fit
IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

the kit
DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

i'll post pictures of the fender install, the trips i've taken and rear set up later today

I edited your post so the pics would be on top of each other instead of side by side.

Looks good! :)

Thx jame

my trip to gorman and pismo
2f3aa765.jpg

b9ec4bb5.jpg

a4457a67.jpg

90a3ce21.jpg

58740c88.jpg

490846c2.jpg

cd28c694.jpg

05bf8ab3.jpg

661a97be.jpg

97305c46.jpg

a7272a95.jpg

7590b716.jpg

0737ef22.jpg

698d8a4f.jpg

51710b38.jpg

6b78ec26.jpg

436eddc1.jpg

f4a1aae4.jpg

b16262db.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg
DSC_0316.jpg

Looks awesome man.Are you planning on putting a full size axle on the rear or somerthing so the rear tires line up with the front?

Looks really good man.

Ok can you post some pictures of how you have the CV Axle setup to work for when you wanna switch to 4wd, I'm kinda confused because I see the CV Axle pulled apart.

I would be worried about the hub bearing assembly breaking out on the trails (desert) and not have the CV Axle to keep the tire on the truck?

Clusterpup said:
Looks awesome man.Are you planning on putting a full size axle on the rear or somerthing so the rear tires line up with the front?

Right now I bought 2" spacers off a member on another forum and looks great. Right now I only have one bedside install and when I get to the other side I'll snap some pictures.

MidnightRebel07 said:
Looks really good man.

Ok can you post some pictures of how you have the CV Axle setup to work for when you wanna switch to 4wd, I'm kinda confused because I see the CV Axle pulled apart.

I would be worried about the hub bearing assembly breaking out on the trails (desert) and not have the CV Axle to keep the tire on the truck?

I don't have cv's installed b/c dixon doesnt have the extended axles yet. I took the apart to put one end on the diff so it won't leak the oil and for my peace of mind I took the other end apart and bolted then to the hubs. They really don't keep your hubs from falling apart as you would think. I'll post pics from my computer since the ones on my phone are too large

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was asking because I had both of my factory hub bearing assemblies completely fail at the same time after alot of muddin' and serious offroading. The only thing keeping my tires onwas the CV axles.

Back